Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Really?

We lost the tactical battle in midfield - they played a 5 with 3 CDMs - and we chased shadows for much of the first half as we were overrun.

They pressed and anticipated much better than we did all game, even after dropping off the intensity post-30 mins.

We over-played in the final third when we should have been doing what we did at Anfield. Pass and move, quickly, shoot.

Lost to a better, more organised (and much better-funded) team, today but they had to play full-on for the full game to win it.

Not the end of the world, if we pick up wins in the next two.

Possession is meaningless if you don't do anything when you have it.

Same with shots, too. One moment of class the big difference, today.

But that isn’t what you said, so which is it ?

Jimmy Grimble

That passing it out from the keeper goal kick routine will not work in the way RDZ hopes it will. Conte has just given a blueprint of how to stop it. It meant the midfield were so far away from Welbeck when we inevitably had to go long. Not impressed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That passing it out from the keeper goal kick routine will not work in the way RDZ hopes it will. Conte has just given a blueprint of how to stop it. It meant the midfield were so far away from Welbeck when we inevitably had to go long. Not impressed.

Even Potter gave up on that shit.

First 15 months of suicidal passing round the back, the striker 60 yards away, a tedious obsession with possesion.

He adapted, the goalie was allowed to pass long, possession stats in the brilliant wins more like 50:50.

Unlike continental football, high octane EPL teams will press 90 yards from goal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I thought it worked out really well a couple of times, creating some 4v4s and 4v5s (which resulted in very little unfortunately) on their half.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
This project is going to take time to gel. It was frustrating in that Spurs have had a hard week with three away matches and plenty of energy expended. Earlier on this - or even last - season we would have got something from that. De Zerbi can't be distraught with the game because we were the better side but Antonio Conte out-thought his fellow countryman tactically and I honestly think they are title contenders. Some promising performances especially Mitoma.

We always knew this was going to be a very tough month. Next week there will be expectation at Brentford, given the rest of October (Forest aside). Plenty of lessons learnt today and certainly nothing to worry about.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Biggest worry was not closing down their lads like we used to , they had no real pressure .

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
But that isn’t what you said, so which is it ?

I'm struggling to see any contradiction.

We had more possession, but didn't do as much with it as Spurs did with less as they were tactically better set up - particularly in the first half - and had that one moment of class that made the biggest difference.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This project is going to take time to gel. It was frustrating in that Spurs have had a hard week with three away matches and plenty of energy expended. Earlier on this - or even last - season we would have got something from that. De Zerbi can't be distraught with the game because we were the better side but Antonio Conte out-thought his fellow countryman tactically and I honestly think they are title contenders. Some promising performances especially Mitoma.

We always knew this was going to be a very tough month. Next week there will be expectation at Brentford, given the rest of October (Forest aside). Plenty of lessons learnt today and certainly nothing to worry about.

ManC will end 20 points ahead of them.

Jimmy Grimble

I thought it worked out really well a couple of times, creating some 4v4s and 4v5s (which resulted in very little unfortunately) on their half.

I agree it did a couple of times, but I think the opposition would be happy to let it happen a couple of times if on the other occasions it resorted in us losing possession or going long and having no one near Welbeck.

The last 6 months under Potter, we were very good at winning second balls because the players knew the patterns of play and knew where the ball would likely end up after an aerial duel or midfield duel. Today, it felt like we barely won a single second ball, or had the the players where we wanted them to transition into attacking play after a turnover of the ball.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tactical interesting from Spurs, heavy pressing (which I don't like) for the beginning of the game followed by deep defence after Spurs poached a goal. Conte is a bit of a dinosaur.

Even City and Liverpool revert to both at times, deep defence when they are defending a lead after going down to ten men. Selective pressing employed when opposing teams play passing football to break up their rhythm and regain a measure of dominance.

Still a bit of goal shy Brighton but Spurs did not make a mistake or suffer bad luck when defending. Lack of set pieces put down to new coaching team.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
De Zerbi

"We have played a fantastic game. The result is not fair, 100%. Football is not right and today the result is not good for us."

"After the first 15 minutes I made a mistake in those 15 minutes because I thought Antonio Conte would play 3-4-2-1 but 20 minutes before the game he changed 3-5-2. After the first 15 minutes it was only Brighton."

"The players were fantastic today. I congratulated them. Now I thinking is only on Monday to work."

"The football is the same in the UK and Italy. Football is not fair."

"I must admit the result today is not fair. After the first 15 minutes there was only one team on the pitch and that team was Brighton."

"I don't believe in lucky or unlucky. The players were fantastic today but when one team played like that today it is a good message for the league for the future."

"In the first half after 15-20 minutes, we played a good 25 minutes. In the second half it was the same. I think for 70 minutes it was a good level of football."

"I want to say thanks to the Brighton fans. They welcomed me very well."

Dunk

"I thought after the first 15 minutes we got a grip on the game and we were the better side. Frustrating, but they are a good team."

"Against sides like this if you are not clinical they will get on top of you. I thought we were the better team, pinned them back. We had the better chances but unfortunately we lost."

How are things under the new manager?

"It is early days, we are eager to learn off him and get his style of play. You will see improvement over time. We are enjoying our time under the gaffer."

"It is a similar style [to Graham Potter's] and it showed today. They are different people with different ideas but there is a similarity to them."

"We go again Friday and we will be ready for it."

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Really?

We lost the tactical battle in midfield - they played a 5 with 3 CDMs - and we chased shadows for much of the first half as we were overrun.

They pressed and anticipated much better than we did all game, even after dropping off the intensity post-30 mins.

We over-played in the final third when we should have been doing what we did at Anfield. Pass and move, quickly, shoot.

Lost to a better, more organised (and much better-funded) team, today but they had to play full-on for the full game to win it.

Not the end of the world, if we pick up wins in the next two.

I'm struggling to see any contradiction.

We had more possession, but didn't do as much with it as Spurs did with less as they were tactically better set up - particularly in the first half - and had that one moment of class that made the biggest difference.

We obviously did do more with it as we had more shots ?

Football is all about opinions and I respect yours, albeit different to mine !

Looking forward to Friday now v Brentford

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I thought we weren’t great today but we weren’t bad either, same for Spurs - overall not a great game

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tactical interesting from Spurs, heavy pressing (which I don't like) for the beginning of the game followed by deep defence after Spurs poached a goal. Conte is a bit of a dinosaur.

Even City and Liverpool revert to both at times, deep defence when they are defending a lead after going down to ten men. Selective pressing employed when opposing teams play passing football to break up their rhythm and regain a measure of dominance.

Still a bit of goal shy Brighton but Spurs did not make a mistake or suffer bad luck when defending. Lack of set pieces put down to new coaching team.

That’s one big contributory reason why Conte won’t win the EPL or CL at Spuds. When they came up against equally expensive players (Arsenal) they were destroyed. A solid defence/midfield of 8 big units, Son/Kane nicking winners isn’t a football philosophy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good post.

I saw quite a lot of drilled De Zerbi football. This was quite different from the Leicester game. That change is going to take a while to come to full fruition but you could argue we did enough for a draw today.

Once Roberto has really got under the bonnet of this team, we’ll be fine. These transitions games are tough, especially when you are playing the Big Six but I’m reasonably happy with the signs of things to come.

This.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
ManC will end 20 points ahead of them.

They may well do but if Erling Haaland picks up a bad injury then everything changes. Liverpool selling Sadio Mane was a mistake that Klopp probably regrets now.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Should be a fascinating battle. Will be interesting to see how we cope with their central 3 as we ostensibly have a 2.

[tweet]1578823472016678912[/tweet]

I appreciate his honesty but it's a bit odd he didn't realise they were going to play a midfield 3 when the team sheets were released.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am watching the highlights and it looks to me like we were the better team and created more chances than them.

Just need to continue to work on our finishing. If we had Kane and Son we would have thrashed them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here