Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
All I ask is that we don't give away free kicks in JWP range. Please. Thanks.
Couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo that fella :lolol:

I’m weirdly not nervous, maybe I’m alone, had a ST since the withdean days and remember losing to 9 man Walsall, Colin Hawkins bullet header etc so to have this dilemma feels slightly bizarre, it could be a historic day for the club.

Please don’t go in with the same mental ineptitude as we did against Everton, Southampton have dangerous individuals and will be playing with no pressure, this game won’t be a cake walk.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
We are on the 8am train and on our way to The Amex ….Junior checking the ‘live blog pre match update’ !!! Bit early for that😊 Long old day (home 10.30pm) but so worth it. Surprisingly calm and confident right now

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
My hope is that Saints with nothing to fear, come and play.. that is better for us than them coming to sit-in . Will make for a good, nervy at times,game, but maybe gives us a better opportunity given some of the challenges we face against low-block, quick counter ..

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The nerves have well and truly kicked in. Did not sleep well last night.
Such a huge game, I hope the players are dealing with this a lot better than I am!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was fine when I woke up, as the time has gone on it’s got worse

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Back in 1977 I remember watching Liverpool playing in a European Cup Final (David Coleman on comms using a telephone?). Onwards to Forest and Trevor Francis heading it in at the post, and Brighton hit the big time, for a few years anyway. There was even a Wembley final in there as well. World wide fame, and then nothing.
Manchester United did the treble with two late late Fergie time goals whilst we were fighting our own battles. Europe, it's where we go on holiday.
We were thrilled at the Liverpool 0:3 comeback, and at awe as two English teams went to Russia to play a final. One day, one day, we'd dream as we climbed on board Lunn Poly flight to Benidorm
But then, as Real Madrid picked up their 12th trophy in the valleys of Wales something stirred in SE England. It was 2017 and we were back, well not back because we'd never been there before.
Not so much a sleeping giant as a dead doormouse was being resusitated. All those days of standing on an open terrace hoping for a win were in the past. Now we could dream of being thrashed by those big boys in their flash cars and posh coaches. We took pleasure in being the whipping boys of the EPL and were proud to be there. Our dream was not of Europe, not of top half but of 17th in the league. And we done it, once, twice, three times we held out to stay in the big time. But still, as the season came to an end, we would book our European holidays alone, embarressed to wear our football shirts in Magalluf.
Then it changed. A certain G Potter strolled into town playing his potterball game. Our targets changed. No more relegation fights, mid table mediocrity was the norm now. We still booked holidays to Greece but now packed our shirts with pride.
Then came 2022/23. We got an upgrade but rather than pay for it, we got paid by Chelsea. We had players worth £millions, a World Cup winner and football the world envied. We joked about checking if our passports were still in date whilst the big teams were dispatched, both home and away.
The original song went "30 years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming". Well it's been 51 years, or 18684 days or 26904960 hours since I first stepped into the Goldstone and I never dreamt. But today it could happen. My team, our team, could qualify to play 6 games in a European competition (OK it's not the UCL but who cares).
And if it happens I will stand proud and wipe away those tears of joy, and I wont be the only one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If ever there was a “ must win” ......
What about Saints ? already down nothing to lose and would love to go out on a high... but they’re a pretty poor team ...
Albion can struggle against such teams .. To the unknowing, this looks a nailed on win for us but ....we know Brighton!
Don’t let doubt creep in , let’s cheer them to victory!
Selles has said the following:

“It is going to be a little bit of everything [line-up selection], but that will implement some of the things to move forward and take that next step.”

In my humble opinion, moving ‘forward’ and ‘taking the next step’ for Southampton is creating a really attacking and progressive side for Championship football next season. It could be a very interesting game.

Do they try and emulate Everton or are they going to dump the low block and try and take us on at our own game?

No pressure for them at all.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
21st May 2023

Time to make history.

Time for the Amex crowd to be loud and drown the ground in a cacophony of sound.

Time for forty years of 'And Smith Must Score' to make room for new Albion lore.

Time to look back on where we've come from and remember absent friends.

Time to look for new glory beyond these shores.

Time to look forward.

It's our time.
for a moment i thought you had rewritten GOSBTS

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I haven’t made many games this season due to living in London and having two small children (2nd one born at the end of September - so watched most until then). Since RDZ joined I have only seen Fulham and Man Utd semifinal, and we didn’t even score.

I was supposed to go today but I’m sick. Which given the above is probably a good thing.
I’m with you. I’ve a shocking record watching the boys this season so I’m hoping my enforced absence is a good omen.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Kick off 9pm here, so I will be up for this one.
Cans of Little Dove in the fridge with dips ready.
Starting work later tomorrow, in anticipation of a win.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
nerves set in now I'm on route. saints record against us here is decent. I never thought I'd see the day that we could potentially achieve this. here's hoping the game puts me in a good mood for Blur in Eastbourne this evening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here