Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The crowd was ****ing awful. Moaning and groaning. At least if we play bad people should try and make a positive atmosphere to drive the team on.

Can’t think of a single club that would have made a good atmosphere and noise when served up with such negative shit in such an important game. From the stream I watched the volume and encouragement ramped right up when we started to play, which was around the 70th minute.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That's because the football was ****ing awful. The worst Ive seen us play for a long time in arguably the most important game for a long time. Shocking.

It really was that important. Win and cusp of safety, look forward to Chelsea and Man City. Lose and we're still in the mire, with Chelsea and Man City ready to spank our arses. And then all of a sudden we have three defeats in a week. Today was massive and they f**ked up in the worst possible manner.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can’t think of a single club that would have made a good atmosphere and noise when served up with such negative shit in such an important game. From the stream I watched the volume and encouragement ramped right up when we started to play, which was around the 70th minute.

Again, this. Even Smellhurst is quiet (bar the wnkrs drum), when they’re getting outclassed. The team always sets the tone.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The crowd was ****ing awful. Moaning and groaning. At least if we play bad people should try and make a positive atmosphere to drive the team on.

Were you clapping and cheering much then ??

"At least if we play bad people should try and make a positive atmosphere to drive the team on". Rubbish !! If the team plays badly the crowd is entitled to moan. Today from the start they wanted it more than us !!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Pay me £40K a week and I'll do a real job from my seat in WSL. Maybe there should be a players forum that slags off the crowd and argues that if they had better supporters they could play better

They're sodding professionals but what I saw today was a bunch of men in football boots that didn't give a f**k

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Brighton and Cardiff have stunk the PL out. Both deserve Championship football.

I know it was a terrible performance today, but come on we are still big favourites to stay up, and are in a better position than a few other sides.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I know it was a terrible performance today, but come on we are still big favourites to stay up, and are in a better position than a few other sides.

It's just not defendable today, whatever angle you take on it. Ok if we were on 42pts, you'd shrug your shoulders and just say yeah, whatever. But we are still in the shit and were given no direction on where we are going today. We really are allowed to feel a bit pissed off.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think the atmosphere at the start of the game was spot on. I thought this is great everyone is up for this, then the game kicked off, we were rubbish and funnily enough I didn't feel like singing!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's the Hughton effect imho. I think defensively we're fine, also defensive midfield element is ok.... It's offensive midfield and attack that seems to be so often lackluster, putting it out to a winger to simply cross one in, is 1980's tactics..... When you watch teams that do the high press well or have mastered the diamond (that Brendon Rogers does so well) you see how tactically behind our offensive play often is. Just can't see us ever being a high pressing or expansive team under Chris, it's not his DNA.

To be fair, we have a really good young striker in colloney(sp) but hughton is not one to dip into the stiffs apart from Dan who was bizzarely in the squad...maybe he thought duffy was not fit after the internationals.

Murray had been banging in goals and he couldn't admit that they had made a mistake with locadia. I thought ings looked sharp but them they took him off...

I am surprised they thought we had enough to keep us up when our midfield were struggling to find goals.

But hey...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

So it was the crowd who couldn't play simple passes, couldn't keep the ball and looked about as dangerous in front of goal as a dead haddock?

The players clearly weren't fussed from minute 1, they played like a team who had already been relegated. The crowd at the start were brilliant, then the team played like it was a preseason ****ing friendly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the atmosphere at the start of the game was spot on. I thought this is great everyone is up for this, then the game kicked off, we were rubbish and funnily enough I didn't feel like singing!

Is exactly what happened. The NS and nearby areas were very vocal with chants before the games and for 30 minutes in play. That’s despite Stains controlling the game and having an increasing amount of openings. Eventually the Wembley spirit died a death, as it sunk in that comatose Albion were back yet again, even unable to string passes together.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
On the long train ride home, and all I can say about that game is that if it was a dog, I'd want it shot to put it out of its misery. Woeful.

I really feel for people like you, travelling all that way having to watch that shit. Safe journey.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well that was a pile of shit. CH once again sets up to defend against a team in 17th making them seem like world beaters. The midfield which was woeful ( knocky and Biss ) the exceptions a good 10 to 15 yards of Murray so even if he won the ball which incidentally he didn't he had no one to lay off too.
With 9 players behind the ball who seem to have had the lost the knack to attack the inevitable goal came. This did actually perk us up for 10 mins but why oh why do we only respond and actually attack once we concede.
Solly was no better 1st man syndrome just couldn't get the ball past him
Locadia was the best held up the ball and don't think he misplaced a pass unlike Stephen's he was not very good today.
CH needs to change his negative tactics when we play teams in and around us. The season now looks like 1 match season against Bardiff.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
You are right.

Can I ask you a separate question? Out of our 30 PL games this season, how many times have you gone away thinking “we played well”?

Fulham came into this league spending 'big' how did that work out? I've been entertained in a lot of games this season, just because were the underdogs a lot of the time and getting a respectable number of points on the board.

I expect a more entertaining style of play when we are here for a few more years, and can spend a few more hundred million.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That has to be comfortably the worst we have played at home all season.

We are just so predictable, even our sodding kick off is the same week in week out and with the same outcome, handing the opposition the ball.

Hughton every week says the same thing, it getting boring now Chris. He sets the team up, he instills the tactic, the tempo he is to blame. We start games so poorly that we give teams confidence **** me we even treated Millwall like a top 6 side.

I do blame the manager for this and he mentions it nearly every week. Chris change it then.

The midfield two of Stephens and Propper is painful to watch at times it so slow.

Actually thought Propper froze at one point and "run time error" appeared above his head. Even re-booting him at half time didn't help.

AJ (could be bothered to spell his name) was awful. I've tried to see something there but I'm afraid I fail to see a PL footballer.

AK only run sideways across the pitch.

Murray had led boots on obviously had BO as no one wanted to get close to him.

Duffy wins a huge amount of headers but to put him in desperation as a forward is poor by Hughton. Duffy has a forehead made from jagged rock. You never know which direction the ball will go.

There was only one team that was ever going to win that game today.

Hughton played down winning all week saying we mustn't lose. He set the team up tactically to just that but didn't factor in a mistake.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fulham came into this league spending 'big' how did that work out? I've been entertained in a lot of games this season, just because were the underdogs a lot of the time and getting a respectable number of points on the board.

I expect a more entertaining style of play when we are here for a few more years, and can spend a few more hundred million.

I’m not too bothered about being entertained, especially as we have a low budget. Winning is everthing, losing is nowhere. We so rarely win. Even Burnley and Stains have rolled up at the Amex outplayed us and grabbed all the spoils.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here