Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
soz but i can't c us getting anything ...long as we put up a fight and the crowd get behind the team i'll b sort of happy..being the south end of the east i'm gonna hav to put up with the saints lot being noisy...jus hope we don't throw in the towel to early otherwise i can c a lot of empty seats com 70 mins...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A repeat of the 1955/56 season score would be nice.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't want to forecast the team on this thread, but I would like to see Kazenga on for the first part of the match to run at Richardson and stop him getting forward. I am not sure that Cook can play with Greer together in the centre of defence so Hall might play ??? I see Cook as the covering defender and I would like to see him play. Whoever plays on the right will probably not get past Fox. So that means Buckley on the bench ???

Southampton are a strong counter-attacking team so it would be best in midfield if we did not lose the ball and pick up on the knock-downs which means Bridcutt and especially Sparrow to start. Southampton also play the ball into the channels so Ankergen (and whatever keeper) will probably be flapping again. This is what happens when any team plays deep.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/12/01/01/manual_135040.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1&BID=360

Morgan Schneiderlin is missing (I think) but this will not be a loss for them and neither will the missing Chaplow (who looks dangerous but it all legs and feet tangled up). So Southampton with Fonte back looks to have near enough a full team out.

Summary: if Cook plays we have a chance. We really need to give them something to worry about which can only mean Vicente &/or Kazenga. Southampton will play their normal game (why change a winning formulae?), so we know what to expect.

BHA v Southampton - Score Predictor

Intelligent assessment, knowing no better I'll agree!

Don't really give us much of a chance today and won't be too disappointed as long as we put in the effort can't really ask for more against a strong top of the table team. Hopefully Gus will tell Vicente to stop being a girl, kick him out on to the field and tell him to earn his dough

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: I think Southampton will create lots of half chances and miss them all, but their pressure will be so great that they will get at least one goal. We will have to score two or more to win.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
20120102Southampton.jpg

Discipline:
Brighton
Fouls per game: 10.67
Yellow Cards per game 2.33
Red cards per game: 0.17
Fouls per Yellow: 4.57

Southampton
Fouls per game: 11.13
Yellow Cards per game: 1.29
Red cards per game: 0.08
Fouls per Yellow: 8.61

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Discipline:
Brighton
Fouls per game: 10.67
Yellow Cards per game 2.33
Red cards per game: 0.17
Fouls per Yellow: 4.57

Southampton
Fouls per game: 11.13
Yellow Cards per game: 1.29
Red cards per game: 0.08
Fouls per Yellow: 8.61

So they commit more fouls per game eh? Obviously there's other offences which we've been getting booked for but seems a bit inconsistent ...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
A win and this. One of Gus's faults is he mollycoddles the youngsters too much. If you are good enough to captain England, you should be good enough to get in a League One side treading water in the Championship.

I agree. I'd much rather see JFC start than Harley but I very much doubt it will happen...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Personally I'd like to see JFC start as well as Harley and try to get Buckley more central, more often alongside CMS.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
relying on you guys for company today - I took six of the kids/grandkids to Coventry on Boxing Day so it might be a week or two before funds are replenished sufficient to travel :)

I hope you know what to expect if we go behind - it will be carnage from some of the idiots on here.

A few seasons ago there were just a few stalwarts on here who knew how to take defeat realistically. Nowadays as soon as we go behind every whinger in the World gets on here and I log off.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I hope you know what to expect if we go behind - it will be carnage from some of the idiots on here.

A few seasons ago there were just a few stalwarts on here who knew how to take defeat realistically. Nowadays as soon as we go behind every whinger in the World gets on here and I log off.

I would have thought that the whingers who are usually on the match day thread would all be at the game today, to give their keen insight to the players in person. :rolleyes:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this
I think realism comes with age

DanielT

Considering that at the start of the season, Leicester were "buying promotion" - to be level on points with them today is no embarrassment!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
this
I think realism comes with age

Correct.
It wasn't that long ago that one of us had to start the match thread often as late as kick off. Now the JCLs (joke) are falling over themselves to have the honour, sometimes a day in advance of the game.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

I agree mate. But as long as we try, and put on a better performance, there is no shame in losing to the top team. It will certainly be a big test today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports