Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Reading *** Official Match Thread ***

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I find it pathetic this football snobbery still exists. Who gives a hoot if someone decides to go or not? Surely it's their choice. Soon we'll need to categorise fans on their loyalty. Individual circumstances change from one fan to the next, depending on finances, location or whether they just like watching Albion every now and then. Doesn't make anyone better, or more important. We all follow the Albion, that's what counts. Anyway, to make it absolutely clear, here's my new loyalty ladder, to decide on whether you are a worthy fan or just a parasite who should in fact watch basketball or Reading instead. Anyone below Cat C should @&£&@ off....

Category A: Goldstone era, goes to most matches, home and away.

Cat B: Goldstone era, only goes when possible

Cat C: Withdean era, goes to most matches etc

Cat D: Withdean era, only goes when poss etc

Cat E: Amex era....goes most matches etc

F: Amex era, only when poss etc

G: only goes occasionally. Otherwise known as plastic or fair weather.

A*: STH at Gillingham.....:fishing:

Slightly more seriously, lots of people seem to enjoy the #Together concept when it's an abstract one. When it involves putting yourself out to support the team then it gets forgotten. I know there are plenty of people who travel a good way, and fair play to them. Travel options are not easy tonight. But if we have only sold around 4k tickets (exclusive of 1901) then it suggests, by definition, we have a lot of fair weather fans.

The fact that the crowd will be small means getting away afterwards should not be difficult. If you live in Brighton or Hove then 25 bus is perfectly feasible for most, with a change. If you have a car, then it should be easy to park somewhere like Bevendean and hop on the 25 bus. Like I say, I accept for people travelling a long way who don't have a car available tonight, it's a pain. For some people, though, the transport looks like an excuse not to come.

It's everyone's choice to come or not, of course. But in the end, we can't, collectively, claim to be committed fans if we don't turn up to home games.

#Together.

PG

from a personal point of view

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The fact that the crowd will be small means getting away afterwards should not be difficult. If you live in Brighton or Hove then 25 bus is perfectly feasible for most, with a change. If you have a car, then it should be easy to park somewhere like Bevendean and hop on the 25 bus. Like I say, I accept for people travelling a long way who don't have a car available tonight, it's a pain. For some people, though, the transport looks like an excuse not to come.
Do you (or anyone else) know if the club are doing the shuttle buses from Falmer back to Lewes? Only one sensible train from Falmer to Lewes after the game (22.24).

bhafc_ross

Feb 21, 2009
Brighton
10/10

Slightly more seriously, lots of people seem to enjoy the #Together concept when it's an abstract one. When it involves putting yourself out to support the team then it gets forgotten. I know there are plenty of people who travel a good way, and fair play to them. Travel options are not easy tonight. But if we have only sold around 4k tickets (exclusive of 1901) then it suggests, by definition, we have a lot of fair weather fans.

It's everyone's choice to come or not, of course. But in the end, we can't, collectively, claim to be committed fans if we don't turn up to home games.

#Together.

PG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is there a list of approved excuses anywhere? Genuinely curious.

I'll be there the first EFL round the club deign it cost-effective to open the North Stand. Not prepared to sit jam-packed in a random seat in the ESL/WSL with a so-so view and take-it-or-leave catering. If the club want to treat the game as a beam-back or a pre-season friendly, then I'll do likewise.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

It's everyone's choice to come or not, of course. But in the end, we can't, collectively, claim to be committed fans if we don't turn up to home games.collective

#Together.

PG

So by your maths, we have less than 2500 true supporters then?

http://www.11v11.com/matches/brighton-and-hove-albion-v-milton-keynes-dons-01-november-2006-275506/

There were no travel problems - Withdean is more accessible than Falmer by car. It was a home game nominally featuring the first team. And there were more first teamers in that team than there will be tonight. Not sure I get the concept of collective commitment. Every team gets less for games like this. And they don't have to deal with SASTA or £12 parking fees.

Colchester and tonight are the first home league cup games I have missed in God knows how many years - probably the one we lost on penalties at the Goldstone when I was on holiday. Added to the fact that my ticket is technically free. And I probably would have come if I could have got a coach as normal. Many people have financial, family or work commitments. Some travel from miles away - and I am balking at 20 or so. I would have gone if it were the FA Cup which could technically have the same team put out. But factor in the travel problems, the prospect of two reserve teams and a massively devalued competition and it isn't surprising that so many people are giving it a swerve. But, as I too was a Gillingham ST holder and made 2/3 of the games there (The missed ones were due to shift work), I don't think you can challenge anyone's commitment by not going. Maybe a 1901 member who lives in Moulsecoomb but anyone who has to pay or travel has a lot of valid reasons not to go.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I have nothing more to say. Peter Grummit's post covers my point. Fairweather fans. Enjoy your evening x

So, despite not wanting to watch Reading's reserves and not wanting to spend money that could be put towards my mortgage, I also have a very valid reason of having a job conflict I'm still a fair weather fan?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Is there a list of approved excuses anywhere? Genuinely curious.
Me too. Started watching BHA at the Goldstone in 1972, aged five, and am not going tonight as my elderly, housebound mother has just been released from hospital without the required care packages in place, so am currently sorting all sorts of crap out. Hopefully that IS on the list of approved excuses, and I'm not seen as a fairweather fan... it does irritate that the assumption seems to be if you aren't going to a particular game, you cannot be bothered. Doesn't seem particularly #together to dismiss fellow fans who for whatever reason don't go to particular matches...

bhafc_ross

Feb 21, 2009
Brighton
Be interesting to see the 16,000 other excuses of the fans that cannot make this game.

So, despite not wanting to watch Reading's reserves and not wanting to spend money that could be put towards my mortgage, I also have a very valid reason of having a job conflict I'm still a fair weather fan?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Me too. Started watching BHA at the Goldstone in 1972, aged five, and am not going tonight as my elderly, housebound mother has just been released from hospital without the required care packages in place, so am currently sorting all sorts of crap out. Hopefully that IS on the list of approved excuses, and I'm not seen as a fairweather fan... it does irritate that the assumption seems to be if you aren't going to a particular game, you cannot be bothered. Doesn't seem particularly #together to dismiss fellow fans who for whatever reason don't go to particular matches...

Hope your mother is ok fella :thumbsup:

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Ok so im in Greece as its the only time I could take holiday and will miss 4 home games , am I a bad fan ?
Oh I do have a season ticket so even if I cant make it to league games the club still get my money.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If I'm 9200 KM away in China do I need a note from my mum for missing the game live? Will I be a good fan if I stay awake for a 2:45am kick-off on player and don't fall asleep till the final whistle?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So glad the official match thread has been derailed by pointless and childish willy-waving.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Be interesting to see the 16,000 other excuses of the fans that cannot make this game.

Not really. It would be quite boring actually.

I'm not going. I'm comfortable with that, and I'm comfortable with the level of fan that I am. Well done to those that are going, but don't be sanctimonious little pricks to those that aren't going, for whatever reason.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Not really. It would be quite boring actually.

I'm not going. I'm comfortable with that, and I'm comfortable with the level of fan that I am. Well done to those that are going, but don't be sanctimonious little pricks to those that aren't going, for whatever reason.

Perfectly put.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here