Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Reading *** Official Match Thread ***

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You do get European football for this, but not as losing finalist if the winner qualifies for the Champions League.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I find it pathetic this football snobbery still exists. Who gives a hoot if someone decides to go or not? Surely it's their choice. Soon we'll need to categorise fans on their loyalty. Individual circumstances change from one fan to the next, depending on finances, location or whether they just like watching Albion every now and then. Doesn't make anyone better, or more important. We all follow the Albion, that's what counts. Anyway, to make it absolutely clear, here's my new loyalty ladder, to decide on whether you are a worthy fan or just a parasite who should in fact watch basketball or Reading instead. Anyone below Cat C should @&£&@ off....

Category A: Goldstone era, goes to most matches, home and away.

Cat B: Goldstone era, only goes when possible

Cat C: Withdean era, goes to most matches etc

Cat D: Withdean era, only goes when poss etc

Cat E: Amex era....goes most matches etc

F: Amex era, only when poss etc

G: only goes occasionally. Otherwise known as plastic or fair weather.

I make myself Category A, C and E. Does that make me ACE? Went to most home and away matches during the Goldstone years, most home matches at Withdean with a few away and most matches at the Amex with very few away. What does that make me? Do I alternate between worthy and being a parasite? ??? :lolol:

The sad part is, I don't think he is trolling - I think he really is upset that not everyone is such a super fan.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A lot of 'Fans' cannot make this tonight.

Be interesting to see how many can make it if we win, and get a big team in the next round.

A lot of fans have differing travel and financial situations. Be interesting to see if you can climb down off your high horse for a minute and wind your neck in.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The point is, I am sure they would make it if it was a bigger team.

Whilst I can't speak for everyone I can at least give you my reasons for not going:

1) I decided before the season started that I'd not be bothering with any cup games, regardless of opposition. They're another needless expense not long after entering into a mortgage.
2) Apart from the above I'd still not be going on this occasion as this game, and the Barnsley game (much more to my annoyance), fall in the week that I am on out of hours support at work.
3) Apart from #1 and #2 I f**king despise Reading and their fans and strive to do my best to only have to endure them twice a season. Play-offs permitting, of course.

My point is everyone will have their own reason for not attending and that's their prerogative. Some, as you quite rightly believe, will likely have based their decision on it being, essentially, a dead rubber against Reading's reserves. Lumping everyone into this insidious category of 'fans' is churlish and unnecessary.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sorry if you did not see my previous comment. The point is I am sure a lot more people would make it, if it was a bigger team.

Yes i probably would Ross.

Sorry for the fact that i don't fancy driving an hour home from work to then travel an hour to watching Reading B team with no atmosphere.

If however we drew a big prem team next round, i would probably make the effort. doesn't make me less of a fan? Everyone has priorities.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Sorry if you did not see my previous comment. The point is I am sure a lot more people would make it, if it was a bigger team.
Is that not the case with EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE WORLD? Even Man U have empty seats in some games. Seriously, get over yourself.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The point is, I am sure they would make it if it was a bigger team.
Mid Wales to Brighton to watch our reserves scuff the ball about with (tinpot) Reading reserves OR the same journey to watch us versus someone massive (Wednesday, Leeds etc)...it's a no brainer Ross. A no brainer.

I bet you don't leave early either?

:wink:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hove,shirly?Hove,Benign but Boring.Oh no,that would be HBbB:lol:
Ah - you missed the amazingly subtle part of his David Brent type creation. He was born in Hove but goes on about Brightonians all the time and the importance of a BN1 postcode. It's like Noel Coward crossed with Eric Morecambe with a touch of Sartre.

Or something.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ah - you missed the amazingly subtle part of his David Brent type creation. He was born in Hove but goes on about Brightonians all the time and the importance of a BN1 postcode. It's like Noel Coward crossed with Eric Morecambe with a touch of Sartre.

Or something.
A Brightonian wannabe perhaps?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Capture.PNG

I'm not surprised

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think this round should have been scheduled for the international break.

Prospect of an interesting team. I might go ???

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
My biggest frustration in football these days (apart from all the other biggest ones) - clubs not taking things seriously. Brighton can win this cup - yes they can win it, because everyone treats it with contempt. When they win it they are in Europe. Both of those two things I'd like to see in my lifetime - and both are entirely possible. Especially when drawn with tinpot Reading in the third round at home. But no - all the pre-match publicity is about how few top players will play - how few people will bother to go - etc etc. This is not the check-a-trade cock-up cup - it is the real thing. Take something seriously why don't you.

You have almost nailed it, but not quite. Clubs in our league, playing Tuesday, Saturday every week, really need to treat the cup competitions as reserve team fixtures. We do not have the resources to compete for all trophies, and the prize on offer for success in the league is so disproportionate. However, anyone in the Premier League, especially those who are not in Europe should look at this competition, and the FA Cup, as their only real chance of glory, and that is what football is supposed to be about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here