Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Preston North End *** Official Match Thread ***

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Controlled the game so very frustrating to throw away the 3 points. Especially as Newcastle and Norwich are going to be hard to keep up with (parachute payments really are a joke).

I know the feeling. It was totally frustrating to lose 2 points so late on from 2 mistakes. We totally controlled the game, even if we weren't up to much first half, we were still the better side and second half, I don't remember the oppo stringing three or four passes together? These are the games where the draw should be a win as witnessed last season (as spoken about by CH) and it is gutting to be on the end of a 92nd minute heart breaker. But we are 25% through the season now and we had a complete abortion of last December so assuming we can pick up on that, we will still be there or thereabouts come the run in.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Doesn't it always.

What does Hughton do to them over the break?

Can be understandable if the Internationals get coached differently and play different systems and then only a few days to get back into club system but they really should be able to adapt if they are good enough.

I wasn't there but sounds like to silly goals conceded and not really a full blown disaster

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If he'd have started we would have probably been 3 or 4 up. Norwood and Sidwell aren't a patch on him.

But surely that is just speculation, nothing about it suggests reality. Reality is, we were winning without him. We could have equally been 3 or 4 down with Stephens playing. So I still don't get your line of thought? You are doing no justice to Sidwell or Norwood and they did fine.

This whole stupid thread (after 92 mins) would have had a completely different slant if it had ended as 90 mins. The goals were down to Bruno and Murphy, where do our central midfield come into it?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
But surely that is just speculation, nothing about it suggests reality. Reality is, we were winning without him. We could have equally been 3 or 4 down with Stephens playing. So I still don't get your line of thought? You are doing no justice to Sidwell or Norwood and they did fine.

This whole stupid thread (after 92 mins) would have had a completely different slant if it had ended as 90 mins. The goals were down to Bruno and Murphy, where do our central midfield come into it?

There is no hardship in playing without Stephens,there may come a time within the next two months where we only have Steve and Oliver available anyway..

Defensive errors today plain and simple,lost momentum from the break really.......we will be ok.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

I believe we should play our best team from the off. After an international break everyone is refreshed so no need for rotation.

Yes, it is speculation, and no those two weren't at fault for either goal.

Do you think Sidwell or Norwood are better than Stephens (genuine question) ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I believe we should play our best team from the off. After an international break everyone is refreshed so no need for rotation.

Yes, it is speculation, and no those two weren't at fault for either goal.

Do you think Sidwell or Norwood are better than Stephens (genuine question) ?

The question is not whether they are better or not but whether they are capable of playing at the top level of the Championship, and quite clearly they are. We have four quality central midfielders all of which Hughton feels comfortable with. I would certainly take his judgement over yours or anyone else's on NSC. And it still does not deny the fact we were WINNING before Stephens made his entrance. So I still don't get your central midfield argument when the result had nothing to do with them.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hughton got that wrong. We needed pace on to take the pressure off the defence. Sticking Stephens on didn't sure us up, it invited more pressure which ultimately broke us. Two points dropped. Shame.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hughton got that wrong. We needed pace on to take the pressure off the defence. Sticking Stephens on didn't sure us up, it invited more pressure which ultimately broke us. Two points dropped. Shame.

We need a committee of managers, all from NSC.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I never want to see Sidwell and Norwood lining up together for a home game again. I can see how that combination might work for a tough away game like we had at Sheffield Wednesday, but there is no pace, creativity, imagination or willingness to get forward from those two, which is exactly what we need at home against mediocre teams.

I actually think Sidwell is having a reasonably good season. I'd play him with Stephens over the next eight weeks until Kayal is back. Sadly I haven't got a clue what Norwood brings to the party.

Do I need to repeat myself? Well I will anyway, we were 2-1 up in a 4-4-2 before Stephens came on. Can one of you halfwits please explain to me what they didn't do?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I obviously forgot that winning a game means every one of a team's players is having a good game. I presume that means when we lose every player has been terrible? Fantastic logic.

We took Bruno off at Burton with the score at 0-0 and put Rob Hunt on before wining 1-0. Should we drop Bruno and play Hunt every week?

Sorry, what exactly is your logic?

I never want to see Sidwell and Norwood lining up together for a home game again.

Why did you say that? What are you talking about? You are telling the world of NSC you wouldn't start a game again with them when the result was nothing to do with them. What exactly are you gibbering on about? Please enlighten.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's quite simple really. My logic is that the attributes of Sidwell and Norwood do not complement each other in a game such as Preston at home. In home fixtures where we are going to have a lot of the ball and are up against a team that is happy to sit back and put men behind the ball, they lack the ability to play the killer pass, beat a man or get forward - the majority of which Stephens can do. I've already said I feel Sidwell has had a fairly good season so far, but this combination is not the one for games like this.

Your logic is apparently that the qualities of all 22 players on the pitch at any time are determined by the scoreline, i.e. 'Sidwell and Norwood were on the pitch at 2-1 so must have been doing well'.

By the way, Hemed came on after 88 minutes at Hillsborough and we lost the rest of that match 1-0. So he's obviously another one you'll have to write off.

No, I still cannot get with your logic. Sidwell and Norwood had a decent game in central midfield today. They were not found wanting. They did their job. What the f**k are you on about? Seriously? I have this massive block about wtf you are on about. Please convince me or give up. What did they do wrong as individuals or as a pairing today? Please, I shall ask again, enlighten me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here