Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Olympique de Marseille *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
albion-png.164686
marseille-png.166148

Albion v Marseille

EUROPA LEAGUE

Venue:
The American Express Stadium
Date: Thursday 14th December 2023
Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: José María Sánchez Martínez 🇪🇸
Assistants: Raúl Cabañero Martínez 🇪🇸, Iñigo Prieto López de Ceraín 🇪🇸
Fourth Official: Alejandro Muñiz Ruiz 🇪🇸
VAR: Juan Martínez Munuera 🇪🇸
Additional VAR: Christian Dingert 🇩🇪
UEFA Referee Observer: Markus Strömbergsson 🇸🇪
UEFA Delegate: 🇲🇹

Brighton manager Roberto de Zerbi has said he wants the "prestige" of winning their Europa League group.

The Seagulls, who are guaranteed at least second place in Group B, host leaders Marseille on Thursday needing a win to top the pool and book their place in the last 16.

Failure to win would mean they enter February's play-offs.

"Marseille are a very good team, but we have the ambition to finish top of our group," De Zerbi said.

"It is a prestigious thing to finish at the top of the table, because we will play two games less in February, and also [prestigious] for the history of our club.

"We want to try to win because we are serious people. When we work, we always want to show our best and do our best."

While the eventual group winners will move straight into the last 16, the runners-up will face a play-off against one of the eight teams finishing third in their Champions League groups.

Brighton have no new selection concerns following Saturday's 1-1 draw against Burnley in the Premier League.

Jakub Moder will not be involved as the midfielder is not in the club's Europa League squad list, and De Zerbi is hopeful forward Danny Welbeck could return to the bench for Sunday's visit to his former club Arsenal having been out since late October with a muscle problem.

Roberto De Zerbi and Billy Gilmour's Marseille Press Conference

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Allez les bleus et blancs bandes.

Think we have enough to get this in the bag. A draw or loss isn't the end of the world but the win is really what we need and be straight through to the last 16. We've enough games without adding a couple more.

Buzzing, nervous but excited. Plus it's a significant Birfdey of mine today so do do it for me please lads if you don't mind 😊

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Of course it would be great to finish top of the group but it’s no big deal if we come second. I’d like to avoid another fixture if we can. No predictions from me, there are too many unknowns but tonight at the Amex should be a cracker! It will be interesting to see/hear about their infamous fans.....
All the best to those that can go .... As always, win ,lose or draw :albion2:

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
This, for me personally, has the potential to be the biggest game in our history... should we win, at least.

Regardless of what happens to the rest of our season and our future - if we win tonight, we will always talk about the season where we topped the Europa League group with Ajax, Marseille and AEK Athens.

Please make it happen BHA

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Most instances of the letter Z in any set of officials at an Albion game? Tough to beat.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Enjoy your evening, I put my ticket on the exchange, I have had a bit of a full week, plus a heavy cold.... will watch it from the comfort of my sitting room with the log burner on.....

Tough game, but as others have said, we are already through to another game... 2-0 to the good guys.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
A win would be great but at least we have the fall back of qualifying no matter what the result is. Other than AC Milan, the 3rd placed Champions League teams don’t look too daunting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here