Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Don’t understand why people leave early. Never have never will. Never left a game early in all my life. Especially nowadays when you can get 10 minutes added time. You can miss 2 goals, a red card and a VAR penalty in that time. Would rather watch the full game then get home 20-30 minutes earlier. Surely no one is that busy every single week after every single game.
bttf.0.0.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don’t understand why people leave early. Never have never will. Never left a game early in all my life. Especially nowadays when you can get 10 minutes added time. You can miss 2 goals, a red card and a VAR penalty in that time. Would rather watch the full game then get home 20-30 minutes earlier. Surely no one is that busy every single week after every single game.
Use the search function on here and you'll find about 1,901 threads about it, with plenty of reasons why people do it :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:fishing:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Could not understand why Tonali was subbed as he looked their ownly player who might actually do something positive
Apart from his schoolboy attempt at a clearance, then failure to close Billy down for the first goal.

Incredibly lazy defending.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
More 'Newcastle were shite' than 'Brighton were excellent' – as you might expect – but these are a good video about the game:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Still hurts.

We were poor, you were good.

Looks like we're trying to play with three 8s and no one at 6. I like the idea behind it, a fluid, ever changing centre makes it very hard for the opponents to know who to pick up at any one time. Unfortunately it requires excellent intelligence and communication from the midfielders, and if it fails, you get three players who don't know when to go, when to stay back, leaving gaps all over the shop.

We're so much weaker without Botman in the centre. When Bruno and Pope aren't in form, our depth is laid bear too.

Ah well, if you'd said we'd get 3pts from Villa (h), Man City (a), Liv (h) and Brighton (a) I'd have been.., well not happy, but I wouldn't be shocked. We've had the hardest start in the Premier League, by a f***ing mile. But it does mean we've got some of the hardest fixtures out of the way early doors, so when we get back from the international break we face Brentford and then... Milan, then Sheffield.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Still hurts.

Looks like we're trying to play with three 8s and no one at 6. I like the idea behind it, a fluid, ever changing centre makes it very hard for the opponents to know who to pick up at any one time. Unfortunately it requires excellent intelligence and communication from the midfielders, and if it fails, you get three players who don't know when to go, when to stay back, leaving gaps all over the shop.

We're so much weaker without Botman in the centre. When Bruno and Pope aren't in form, our depth is laid bear too.

Ah well, if you'd said we'd get 3pts from Villa (h), Man City (a), Liv (h) and Brighton (a) I'd have been.., well not happy, but I wouldn't be shocked. We've had the hardest start in the Premier League, by a f***ing mile. But it does mean we've got some of the hardest fixtures out of the way early doors, so when we get back from the international break we face Brentford and then... Milan, then Sheffield.
I thought most of your issues started with Pope, he made me realise why he’s not in the England team. He looked nervous with the ball and every time he went to kick it I was wondering which side our throw in would be from. The ref also didn’t allow him all the time wasting tactics he normally deploys which also seemed to affect him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know he's got previous when it comes to this sort of thing, but I urge everyone to watch Joel's reaction to EF's goal at 1:22. I think it's his best yet :lolol: :albion2:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I thought most of your issues started with Pope, he made me realise why he’s not in the England team. He looked nervous with the ball and every time he went to kick it I was wondering which side our throw in would be from. The ref also didn’t allow him all the time wasting tactics he normally deploys which also seemed to affect him.
Yeah, he's not been great so far this season. No idea why though.
Same with Bruno. Something up with the pair of them. Bruno's a new dad, so maybe he's had no sleep?

Either way, I have faith they'll both regain their form.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yeah, he's not been great so far this season. No idea why though.
Same with Bruno. Something up with the pair of them. Bruno's a new dad, so maybe he's had no sleep?

Either way, I have faith they'll both regain their form.
Yes, Pope/GK, LB and CB cover is something you certainly need to address -- and there's little doubt that it will be. What surprised me is your organisation. Normally from a less frequent observer such as I, it looks extremely well drilled. But there were massive spaces between your two CBs (goal 2 was just one extreme example of this), and between your defence and midfield -- Pedro and Ferguson found the pockets really easily.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I know he's got previous when it comes to this sort of thing, but I urge everyone to watch Joel's reaction to EF's goal at 1:22. I think it's his best yet :lolol: :albion2:

I posted on the Veltman thread post-game on a related issue: he was sh!tehousing their fans and did it twice -- once in the first half when he made a clearance/interception, and after our third goal (I think).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Still hurts.

Most of your problems did indeed, stem from the shambles of a midfield - and most specifically the resultant massive gap between that and the centre backs.

Joao Pedro and Ferguson dropped off Schar and Burn countless times, to collect the ball - and both responded by kicking them up in the air, pretty much EVERY time.

If Stuart Atwell had put a stop to that much earlier than he did, things could have got even messier for you. Burn in particular was incredibly lucky to last the 90, given the number of fouls committed (and of course Schar would have gone too, if Lamptey hadn't stayed on his feet, when he flew in at him).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here