Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On reflection, I think we have to accept this is what we're going to get with Potter. His style is to make changes and try to out think the other team. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Last night it failed miserably, I guess he's still learning at this level and needs to get the balance right between consistency/players knowing their job and trying to exploit weaknesses in the other team.

The flip side is a manager like Hughton, Dyche, Hodgson who picks the same team every week and every player is a cog in a well oiled machine. What frustrates me is that our shape off the ball against Leicester was from this mould, everyone knew their job, everyone closed down and pressed at the right time, we broke really well and threatened at times. He could've played the same team last night and we'd have been competitive.

That said, Leicester didn't have Fernandes. Absolutely brilliant player and if he stays fit Utd challenge at the top next season.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Personally I didn't think it was as bad as the scoreline suggests (bearing in mind this is Man Utd and they are currently on fire anyway)

If you think of the two Trossard shots that missed by inches and De Gea making a couple of excellent saves and then contrast their first two goals which were just inside the post (with mini deflection etc) - it could have easily been a different story.
Here are the official stats, I've definitely seen more one sided games than that in the past
Capture.JPG

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One thing totally in our control absolutely frustrates me

How come with so many big defenders in our team, we can waste so many opportunities to score at set pieces?

The standard move from corners is predictable and has not worked!

Agreed.

The set pieces were particularly poor last night, which is a shame as they were probably our best chance of getting some joy.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Personally I didn't think it was as bad as the scoreline suggests (bearing in mind this is Man Utd and they are currently on fire anyway)

If you think of the two Trossard shots that missed by inches and De Gea making a couple of excellent saves and then contrast their first two goals which were just inside the post (with mini deflection etc) - it could have easily been a different story.
Here are the official stats, I've definitely seen more one sided games than that in the past
View attachment 125571

But that takes into account the second half when Utd has dropped the intensity and allowed us more possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I thought we were awful against Arsenal and boring against Leicester. Last night I felt it was clear what Potter wanted to do. Close the game down, keep it tight and ideally make it a 20 or 30 minute game by being 0-0 after 60, 70 or 80 minutes and then make the changes to try and give us a chance to win the match with United coming at us. It didn't work because United are too good at the moment and Ryan can't move to his left. On another night, he saves the first two goals and we get to half time at 0-0 and it makes sense.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Best thing we did was removing Dunk

Eventually. I would have pulled him off at HT when the game was already lost rather than risk that two game ban. But in terms of the things that Potter got wrong last night, that was the least of my concerns.

Potter got it right with the personnel and tactics v Leicester. We looked good against the side in third. Why change things against the team in 5th? This "change for the sake of it" and playing our better players (Biss and Lamptey) totally out of position worries me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry if this has already been covered but why the deafening music during the drinks breaks (or was I sitting on the remote)?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Potter had a plan last night that failed abysmally.

However, I would suggest with the players he has available to him 95 out of 100 plans will fail abysmally when Fernandes, Pogba and Matic decide to turn up and play like that.

(and the 5 out of 100 need varying degrees of luck, of which we had none).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed.

The set pieces were particularly poor last night, which is a shame as they were probably our best chance of getting some joy.

Agree with this, though it should be said that you guys following this team for plenty of years are pretty spoiled since you've gotten used to Gross top class set piece deliveries (which by the way I believe are one of the main reasons Gross keeps being a frequent starter).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Disappointing, move on , play like that v Norwich and expect a similar result .

I think the we're safe already thread went too a few players heads , it was quite apparent the only player that doesn't read NSC is Trossard .

Loser :lolol:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Agree with this, though it should be said that you guys following this team for plenty of years are pretty spoiled since you've gotten used to Gross top class set piece deliveries (which by the way I believe are one of the main reasons Gross keeps being a frequent starter).

Think that’s a bit over-generous to Gross. His set piece delivery is good but hardly top class, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, they hardly ever seem to result in a goal despite our usual height advantage, which baffles me a bit!

Given the number of goals scored from set pieces by other teams we seem to have a real problem in this area. Coaching?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here