Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Some are getting a bit carried away on the Potter bashing. United’s squad is valued at £650-700m, the 5th highest in the league and last night’s match summed up everything that stinks about being a ‘making up the numbers’ PL team. If you want more competitive football try the Championship, League 1 or 2.

Or try to not start a game against such a top side with:

- two right backs
- Dan Burn and Bissouma on the left
- a striker who hasn’t scored in 18 games on his own up front
- Two players starting only their second Premier League games

The second half showed we could compete once obvious imbalances had been addressed

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
To me there was a big difference than the Chelsea game, for whatever reason, last evening we were very flat, over respectful and a seeming confusion as to who was doing what.

See tracking first and second goal. Fernandez was brilliant, but Hazard and William were better, slick 1-2’s, last evening Stephens and Propper gave up tracking in the first two goals
Sky analysis explained that Stephens didn’t “give up”. He made a mistake with an attempt to be proactive/anticipate and break up an endless wave of pressure (created by the excellence of United’s passing and movement).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To me there was a big difference than the Chelsea game, for whatever reason, last evening we were very flat, over respectful and a seeming confusion as to who was doing what.

See tracking first and second goal. Fernandez was brilliant, but Hazard and William were better, slick 1-2’s, last evening Stephens and Propper gave up tracking in the first two goals.

Got to give United some credit for their movement and quick movement of the ball. The way the fullbacks not just hugged the touchline, but both Rashford and Greenwood spinning into that channel of space, with then Fernandes and Pogba just a little deeper was something Solksjear got tactically spot on – I didn't see that happening against Norwich who were arguably more passive than us.

Although we conceded a counter attacking goal of real quality, thought we had much of the second half and a clean sheet flattered them. A huge positive is that our side never looked deflated, even at 3 down we grew into the game and knocked on the door with a series of saves and corners and decent possession. I think the likes of Maupay, Trossard, Bissouma, Lampty can be returned to the starting XI or their normal positions Saturday with confidence intact. Trossard and Maupay both looked to improve the team.

I'm equally cautious about Saturday though, we go into it in the very unusual position of being favourites, not something we are used to. Norwich will feel they still have a chance with 3 winneable games on a row that could see an unlikely turnaround. Going to be very tense I feel.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was thinking of doing another lockdown match report but cannot be arsed as no one reads them when we lose :lolol:

Had a couple of beers with the game last night so have slept on my thoughts which are mainly:

1) The starting lineup was a big gamble. It looked to me like we were deliberately saving players for Saturday. I wouldn't be suprised if Potter wasn't gaming lockdown and targetting wins, given we probably only need three or four points to stay up. Since the games are "behind closed doors" no one is really being ripped off by a bit of experimentation in the home line up.

2) That said it was a gamble that didn't work. Lamptey looked like he'd been selected to press Shaw and use pace to get past him but we never got out of our own half. Too deep in the first half and, as others have said, very imbalanced. Bissouma is not a left mid.

3) Man U last night were not the Man U we beat in our first season to stay up, nor the ones who came a few months later in August. Those sides patently could not be bothered and didn't have Fernandes, who is class.

4) Was their first goal even VARd? It looked a lot more offside to me than the commentators said. No wonky blue lines and endless replays? What gives? Equally, the ball went out for a throw before their second and it wasn't given. This isn't really sour grapes though. We were thrashed and deserved it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Got to give United some credit for their movement and quick movement of the ball. The way the fullbacks not just hugged the touchline, but both Rashford and Greenwood spinning into that channel of space, with then Fernandes and Pogba just a little deeper was something Solksjear got tactically spot on – I didn't see that happening against Norwich who were arguably more passive than us.

Although we conceded a counter attacking goal of real quality, thought we had much of the second half and a clean sheet flattered them. A huge positive is that our side never looked deflated, even at 3 down we grew into the game and knocked on the door with a series of saves and corners and decent possession. I think the likes of Maupay, Trossard, Bissouma, Lampty can be returned to the starting XI or their normal positions Saturday with confidence intact. Trossard and Maupay both looked to improve the team.

I'm equally cautious about Saturday though, we go into it in the very unusual position of being favourites, not something we are used to. Norwich will feel they still have a chance with 3 winneable games on a row that could see an unlikely turnaround. Going to be very tense I feel.

But we needed to be stronger with our shape, just because their full-backs hug the touchline, you don’t need to go defensively and lose the shape, which is what Burn did on the first.

United were good but we made it easy tactically and also our apparent approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But we needed to be stronger with our shape, just because their full-backs hug the touchline, you don’t need to go defensively and lose the shape, which is what Burn did on the first.

United were good but we made it easy tactically and also our apparent approach.

Against MU a few weeks / games / months ago it might have worked, even Norwich on Saturday caught them pondering with the ball, but clearly the changes they made for the cup were with an eye very much on winning their final 7 league games and it was a stark contrast. Burn isn't a natural left back, Bissouma isn't a natural left winger, Stephens wasn't comfortable getting pulled out of the middle, and it gave them a perfect storm of us second guessing them on the front foot. Totally agree that our shape / plan was picked apart with ease in that first 30mins.

We did appear to sort that out though, too little too late, but hopefully there was enough positives that players haven't taken too much of a knock to their collective confidence.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As bad as our setup and performance was the way Manchester United played would have brushed whatever we put in front of them aside. As long as they maintain that level of performance against the other sides in the relegation mix then really does not matter.

Just need to put it behind us and focus on Saturday

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Poor selection and poor positioning resulting in a poor game.
I do blame Potter as he puts the players in their positions.
Looks like he gets the selection wrong many times and then improves in the second half with substitutions.
I can't stand seeing players playing out of their favoured positions, it just doesn't make sense.
After seeing this I think Norwich will be up for it, we are so inconsistent.
Right, no points from that debacle and total of 40 quid owed to the REMF fund.
Where do I send It ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yeah, really, really bad team selection.
Was expecting to get beat last night. United have been very good lately. But I wasn't expecting a team selection that gave us no chance, and such a passive performance.
At least it was a free hit, but we need to bounce back on Saturday or it'll be back to squeeky bum time.

Norwich won't be easy.
If they have lost at Arsenal, as expected, by the time they play us, they will be in the last chance saloon. If the three teams above them are still on 27 pts on Saturday, they will know that a win over us closes them up to three points behind. Still in with a shout and still with WHU and Watford to play. Unlikely but not impossible.
I would take a point now. Gets us to 34 and a point nearer safety. Another 3 points after that and those below won't reach 38. Eleven points, when Villa have got Liv, Man U, Everton and Aresenal, with West Ham on the last day ( Do well to get another 6 ) Bmuff have got Man U, Spurs, Leics, Man C and Everton ( May beat Newcastle tonight but would do well to get another 4 pts after that )
Bottom 5 have taken 3 points out of 39 so far. Gonna take a pretty dramatic recovery from any of them.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Looks like he gets the selection wrong many times and then improves in the second half with substitutions.
I can't stand seeing players playing out of their favoured positions, it just doesn't make sense.
Where do I send It ?

To be fair to him, he does get it right too. He did brilliantly against Leicester. This was bizarre though

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Was thinking of doing another lockdown match report but cannot be arsed as no one reads them when we lose :lolol:

Had a couple of beers with the game last night so have slept on my thoughts which are mainly:

1) The starting lineup was a big gamble. It looked to me like we were deliberately saving players for Saturday. I wouldn't be suprised if Potter wasn't gaming lockdown and targetting wins, given we probably only need three or four points to stay up. Since the games are "behind closed doors" no one is really being ripped off by a bit of experimentation in the home line up.

2) That said it was a gamble that didn't work. Lamptey looked like he'd been selected to press Shaw and use pace to get past him but we never got out of our own half. Too deep in the first half and, as others have said, very imbalanced. Bissouma is not a left mid.

3) Man U last night were not the Man U we beat in our first season to stay up, nor the ones who came a few months later in August. Those sides patently could not be bothered and didn't have Fernandes, who is class.

4) Was their first goal even VARd? It looked a lot more offside to me than the commentators said. No wonky blue lines and endless replays? What gives? Equally, the ball went out for a throw before their second and it wasn't given. This isn't really sour grapes though. We were thrashed and deserved it.

Good analysis. I'll add to 2. We appeared to have picked a team to stop Luke Shaw. With Pogba and Fernandes in midfield and Rashforshd and Martial upfront I'm not sure that should be a top priority

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Where do I send It ?

Why would Norwich be any more or any less up for it? Regardless of our results, they would be looking at Brighton H, Watford A, West Ham H as 3 winneable games that could create a spectacular escape. I don't think last night will have any impact on how they feel about Saturday, I suspect they're disappointed we didn't get something so that we were less desperate for points that we might have been.

Agree with your other points, not sure why we needed so many players out of position against a top side. :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Against MU a few weeks / games / months ago it might have worked, even Norwich on Saturday caught them pondering with the ball, but clearly the changes they made for the cup were with an eye very much on winning their final 7 league games and it was a stark contrast. Burn isn't a natural left back, Bissouma isn't a natural left winger, Stephens wasn't comfortable getting pulled out of the middle, and it gave them a perfect storm of us second guessing them on the front foot. Totally agree that our shape / plan was picked apart with ease in that first 30mins.

We did appear to sort that out though, too little too late, but hopefully there was enough positives that players haven't taken too much of a knock to their collective confidence.

Best thing we did was removing Dunk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
As bad as our setup and performance was the way Manchester United played would have brushed whatever we put in front of them aside. As long as they maintain that level of performance against the other sides in the relegation mix then really does not matter.

Just need to put it behind us and focus on Saturday

Very much this. If United produce the type of football played in the first half against our relegation rivals I cannot see any of them gaining a draw let alone a win. They would have beaten us whoever we played in whatever position. They were simply to good for us. I also think Potter got his tactics wrong but I think he is saving his best formation for Saturday. I dont think our best formation from the kick off would have beaten United and I dont think an experimental team could beat a battling Norwich.
So wait for the binfest on here Satuday night when Potter names an even more experimental side or our " best" side lose plummeting us into relegation uncertainty again. It's the Potter way....he's mad I tell e :lolol:

Then we will beat Liverpool & City:O

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sky analysis explained that Stephens didn’t “give up”. He made a mistake with an attempt to be proactive/anticipate and break up an endless wave of pressure (created by the excellence of United’s passing and movement).

He was out of position, switched off, but was basically sold out by Burn’s naivety. Ryan still should have done better.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Put us back in our place last night.

I do think Potter got that wrong from the start but no one looked up to it so any formation possibly wouldnt of mattered.

Bit of a reality check , many had us safe and talk of next year was premature.

Norwich is far from easy and you know the Albion way in these types of games.

Its happened and the 2nd half hopefully can help to get the focus up for saturday for a huge game.

All eyes on that , no time to dwell.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Norwich won't be easy.
If they have lost at Arsenal, as expected, by the time they play us, they will be in the last chance saloon. If the three teams above them are still on 27 pts on Saturday, they will know that a win over us closes them up to three points behind. Still in with a shout and still with WHU and Watford to play. Unlikely but not impossible.
I would take a point now. Gets us to 34 and a point nearer safety. Another 3 points after that and those below won't reach 38. Eleven points, when Villa have got Liv, Man U, Everton and Aresenal, with West Ham on the last day ( Do well to get another 6 ) Bmuff have got Man U, Spurs, Leics, Man C and Everton ( May beat Newcastle tonight but would do well to get another 4 pts after that )
Bottom 5 have taken 3 points out of 39 so far. Gonna take a pretty dramatic recovery from any of them.

It won’t be. I’d take a point as well.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

As with most of the games against the PL's best sides, you need them to be off their game and you need to be right on yours to get anything. Beating United in previous seasons, Arsenal/Spurs this season, are classic examples. Last night, the reverse was true for the first half. We just didn't and then couldn't get going. Propper in particluar had his worst game ever in the stripes, even Burn was not quite as consistent as he has been . GP is brave enough to try different things - I love that. he is also able to admit it's not working and make changes - I love that too. Its too simplistic to say why not get it right in the first half - the notion that Lamptey with his pace could nullify Shaw, support Montoya vs. Rashford and maybe exploit gaps was not irrational. But it just didn't work on the night. Another game for MacAllister too that helps him to realise the step up he has to make.
No shame in last night - we could have lost our heads and buckled but didn't. Disappointed we shipped the two goals in the first half and pleased with the reaction in the second even if accompanied by United relaxing - them not quite at it, but us better.
BTW - if you are a United fan, as pleased as you are with the current performances, you will also be livid that this side has been so poor for so long!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thought we'd have coped better last night but from the first kick we were on the back foot. Still we've learnt what doesn't work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here