Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hello. City fan in peace. Just joined to say what a brilliant game last night. It was refreshing to see a team really having a go. Wish you well for next season and your European adventure. Brilliant team and manager.
It was a terrific game and both teams made it so. Thanks very much!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Great result and a fair one with the best team in the country who might well be the best team in Europe.

Might be? City are without doubt the best team in Europe.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I don’t need a lecture on Gillingham, I was one of them, i can bet my house on it, that when Mitoma leaves so will 95% of them, does that rankle slightly ? I find anyone constantly holding their phone filming the match, instead of taking in the game irksome, as for grown men screaming a players name every time he’s within 15ft of you is annoying.

Them leaving early was probably just a coincidence, I personally think they were getting in line early to see the players leave and get autographs.

But I’m just an old grinch, who likes winding folks up.

I actually agree to be honest, if we can open our arms to people from Lancing then all are welcome.
Yes we all know that when Mitoma departs his Japanese fans will go too. So what? We'll probably sign some incredible talent from Papua New Guinea and attract some new international fans. I once had a great chat with 6 Austrian fans coming to The Amex to see Markus Suttner... and he didn't even come off the bench! I don't see us as being a local club for local people only... we just need a bigger stadium.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Talking of tactics, there seemed to be a lot more longer balls out from Steele last night and less of the butt-clenching short ones pining around our own box.

And you know what? I kinda liked it.
Interesting that at times they had 5 pressing to stop us playing it out from the back, forcing Steele to play long. But we seemed to have anticipated that might happen and it left a lot of space to play in when we won the second ball.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wish nothing but the best to Brighton (save for the 2 games a season!) and hope you have a genuine go in Europe, which I'm sure you will.

Nice to see us both finishing in the Top 6 - which will definitely be annoying the mainstream media, let's be honest - after coming into the league at the same time.

Good times ahead for both I think. I'll be down the Amex next season again, hoping to see my first win there! Hopefully we can catch you after you've been on a long away trip on the Thursday...

Enjoy your summer everyone, I'll be back next season (If welcome of course...)
The league’s pretty fair after 37 games, subject to the 5 points stolen from us. Liverpool beat ManC, did the double over Newcastle, only a series of world class saves from Ramsdale prevented Arsenal imploding at Anfield, a double over Spurs, won at Villa Park. Like Wenger before him, unlike others who campaign behind the scenes, Klopp has been candid about petro states/oligarchs owning clubs including Newcastle. Making him a hate figure on Tyneside no doubt forever, doing that double would only have added fuel to that hate. Liverpool have been superior to Spurs and Villa over the entire season.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
IMG_20230524_201604.jpg

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Random thought. When we lost out in the cup semifinal, there was quite a bit of comment on here along the lines of “Oh well! We can concentrate on Europe now. City would have thrashed us in the final”.

I think that response was more a self-defence mechanism. I thought at the time that we’d have had a half decent chance against City in the final, as they’d not sit back and try to frustrate us the way United did in the semi.

Our performance on Wednesday suggests we’d have made a good fight of it had we
made it all the way to the final.

Bother!

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I thought at the time that we’d have had a half decent chance against City in the final, as they’d not sit back and try to frustrate us the way United did in the semi.
Definitely; you have much more trouble playing against teams that sit back.

NUFC1

May 16, 2023
The league’s pretty fair after 37 games, subject to the 5 points stolen from us. Liverpool beat ManC, did the double over Newcastle, only a series of world class saves from Ramsdale prevented Arsenal imploding at Anfield, a double over Spurs, won at Villa Park. Like Wenger before him, unlike others who campaign behind the scenes, Klopp has been candid about petro states/oligarchs owning clubs including Newcastle. Making him a hate figure on Tyneside no doubt forever, doing that double would only have added fuel to that hate. Liverpool have been superior to Spurs and Villa over the entire season.

I’ve obviously posted only a few times so it probably has been missed, but my views on state owned football clubs are much aligned with Klopp. It should never be allowed, so if you think that's why I don't like him you're completely wrong.

My dislike of the bloke comes from his arrogant attitude - particularly when they don't win - when being interviewed. Also, celebrating in the face of a fourth official isn't passionate or what not, it's a disgrace. He came over to England as a fella that everyone liked from his time in Germany, he was very 'memeable' to be very 2023. But the more success he's enjoyed with Liverpool, the more he's changed and the mask slipped. In my opinion of course, but I think there's many fans - definitely not just Newcastle - who are starting to tire of his antics. I understand he's been fairly complimentary of Brighton in recent years too, so it may permit him some leeway from your perspective, but I find him rude, obnoxious and a bit of a bully, if truth be told. There's times when he's asked a perfectly normal question and just goes on like a d1ck quite frankly.

Finally, whether we like it or not, there are people in football and beyond that just don't sit right with you and you can't like no matter how hard you try. Klopp is one for me personally.

I'm a firm believer in the league table doesn't lie, so I quite agree, but they've had some extremely fortunate VAR decisions in recent weeks that helped them on their run. I'm absolutely delighted they missed out on the Champions League.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Saw a guy like this at the Everton game. I'm assuming it wasn't the same one and he (and hopefully this fella) has realised you're meant to get rid of the cardboard.

Unless he was planning on taking it back to the shop post-match for a cheeky refund :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve obviously posted only a few times so it probably has been missed, but my views on state owned football clubs are much aligned with Klopp. It should never be allowed, so if you think that's why I don't like him you're completely wrong.

My dislike of the bloke comes from his arrogant attitude - particularly when they don't win - when being interviewed. Also, celebrating in the face of a fourth official isn't passionate or what not, it's a disgrace. He came over to England as a fella that everyone liked from his time in Germany, he was very 'memeable' to be very 2023. But the more success he's enjoyed with Liverpool, the more he's changed and the mask slipped. In my opinion of course, but I think there's many fans - definitely not just Newcastle - who are starting to tire of his antics. I understand he's been fairly complimentary of Brighton in recent years too, so it may permit him some leeway from your perspective, but I find him rude, obnoxious and a bit of a bully, if truth be told. There's times when he's asked a perfectly normal question and just goes on like a d1ck quite frankly.

Finally, whether we like it or not, there are people in football and beyond that just don't sit right with you and you can't like no matter how hard you try. Klopp is one for me personally.

I'm a firm believer in the league table doesn't lie, so I quite agree, but they've had some extremely fortunate VAR decisions in recent weeks that helped them on their run. I'm absolutely delighted they missed out on the Champions League.

A good expression, a mask.

It appears to go with the territory. Do you recall when Guardiola within the Wigan main stand went to physically attack the referee after Wigan dumped Abu Dhabi out of a cup? So powerful are the club, that they turned the whole incident on its head, furious that the BBC had a camera there. Ferguson and Mourinho were bullies in every way.

Genuinely, at the very top i.e. winners, I think in the modern game Bobby Robson was a rare exception.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The league’s pretty fair after 37 games, subject to the 5 points stolen from us.
5?

8, not including the ridiculous fixture congestion they've hampered us with

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone have the Radio Sussex commentary on Enciso's goal ? I want to hear our Warren.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was going by the worthless official apologies after Selhurst and White Hart Lane.

I'm aware there was another daylight robbery, which one?
March should have had a penalty against Villa, and the other most obvious mistake was away to Leicester (although I've forgotten what it was).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
March should have had a penalty against Villa, and the other most obvious mistake was away to Leicester (although I've forgotten what it was).

I thought this prior to these posts today, it's all the more a miracle that we made Europe. Obviously a small budget compared to many clubs, but all those points stolen. The resilience of RDZ and the players is remarkable, always bouncing back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here