Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Yes Potter has handled Ali J superbly

Quite important he didn't get his chance until a few other recent misfits long departed

Emotional Intelligence is the phrase me thinks

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Time was we would write off fixtures against top 6 sides and look to the rest to gain points.....Not now.
The results against Arsenal, Spurs and now Chelsea prove that we can now hold our own with the best . :albion2:

I'm optimistic going into every match this season. Wonderful, isn't it?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Alzate is great defensively and almost never loses the ball. Propper... is a dividing player. When there's a good attack, there's almost always a clever pass from him involved, but when the opposition gets into dangerous attacks, you can be equally certain Propper gave it away. Today it's been too much of the latter.

Maupay is almost always excellent. His movement and hold up play.. dirty. Their centre backs hate him.

As I say, we’ll agree to disagree. Their CBs hated when Connolly came on, as he’s everything Maupay aspires to be with his movement, pace, closing down, touch and the ability to hold on to the ball. I also think he has much more nouse. But Maupay still has a place, for sure, I’m just not sure excellent is how I’d describe him.

Again, we’ll disagree about how Alzate (who is potentially excellent) and Propper played today. Almost everything good came through Propper whose quick movement of the ball is vital to our best play, and who was brilliant defensively today.

Alzate in comparison was a positionally awful for the first 30 minutes (I blame Potter for this today), and he nearly cost us a couple of goals (arguably he cost us the first by not being in position which led to the corner). But he improved dramatically second half and he and Propper complemented each other very well.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Time was we would write off fixtures against top 6 sides and look to the rest to gain points.....Not now.
The results against Arsenal, Spurs and now Chelsea prove that we can now hold our own with the best . :albion2:

Well, we can hold our own against teams like Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea, we'll try to contain the best though:)

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Have to say I disagree, I think GP has handled him perfectly - took him out of the limelight when his confidence after last season was completely shot, given him time to get used to the new style, then put him in when he's ready.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I think you are a glass 3/4 full type of guy. They were about to transfer him out in January if there received any serious offers....

You give a player confidence by not playing him..., strange logic there...

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
What a goal for AJ and the near assist to Connally and Maupay (great goalie saves but Maupay should have done better) and all done in 20 minutes of game time. I love GP and he is a great coach, but he was completely wrong about AJ. How did he nearly destroy AJ’s confidence and career by not playing him for 18 of our games this season? Is Gross that much better? Strange the way Potter handled AJ but so happy that he finally saw the light.

What a lot drivel! GP has handled AJ completely correctly. He is the one that sees him every day. Why has he got it completely wrong? Are you in and around the training ground?

D

Deleted member 2719

Why the feck do we have people complaining about Potters tactics in the first half, on the Radio?

Potter gets 10 out of 10 for me today, he doesn't dilly and dally over decisions like most managers he sorts stuff out at half-time, how many managers have we ever had that have had the balls to do this?

Mickey Adams with Kuipers once???

What a result today, that Chelsea side is a good side.

My only gripe is Propper, I have not seen a player for along time that has given away possession so many times in one match, I can only assume he is knackered.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
What a lot drivel! GP has handled AJ completely correctly. He is the one that sees him every day. Why has he got it completely wrong? Are you in and around the training ground?

By that logic, GP has never gotten anything wrong because none of us are around the training ground and obviously AJ was absolute sh*t for 18 weeks and all of a sudden became a footballer.

D

Deleted member 2719

Confirmed: Broken collar bone for Burn.
Out for 6-8 weeks

Gutted for him, It was a tough 50/50 ball, James had no malice, I assume the people booing didn't see the incident correctly.

I hope he is better soon.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Why the feck do we have people complaining about Potters tactics in the first half, on the Radio?

Potter gets 10 out of 10 for me today, he doesn't dilly and dally over decisions like most managers he sorts stuff out at half-time, how many managers have we ever had that have had the balls to do this?

Mickey Adams with Kuipers once???

What a result today, that Chelsea side is a good side.

My only gripe is Propper, I have not seen a player for along time that has given away possession so many times in one match, I can only assume he is knackered.

Agree with this entirely. He changed the system and the personnel when plan A wasn’t working. Shows a lot of tactical awareness. You are never going to get it right first time every game!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What a goal for AJ and the near assist to Connally and Maupay (great goalie saves but Maupay should have done better) and all done in 20 minutes of game time. I love GP and he is a great coach, but he was completely wrong about AJ. How did he nearly destroy AJ’s confidence and career by not playing him for 18 of our games this season? Is Gross that much better? Strange the way Potter handled AJ but so happy that he finally saw the light.

It could also have been the AJ wasn't ready. I know that when we saw him play when he first arrived he really struggled. He had some problems which Propper also had to deal with to a lesser extent when he arrived here. Propper, every season, has got quicker in mind and feet, to the point he now is perfectly adapted to PL football and I would say one of our best players. AJ had these problems x100, but given time and coaching (and his own hard work) he has improved massively.

Regardless, when it comes to AJ it's time for all of us (him included) to look forwards. 2020 is a new year, a new decade. Bring it on.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
By that logic, GP has never gotten anything wrong because none of us are around the training ground and obviously AJ was absolute sh*t for 18 weeks and all of a sudden became a footballer.

Again, complete drivel. AJ has had to bide his time because he obviously hasn’t shown enough to get in until now! Not sure why you feel the need to criticise GP when AJ has been mostly irrelevant in all appearances he has made before now!

D

Deleted member 2719

Agree with this entirely. He changed the system and the personnel when plan A wasn’t working. Shows a lot of tactical awareness. You are never going to get it right first time every game!

It's what I like about Potter most.

He is adaptable and he is prepared to make mistakes rather than sit back and cross his fingers, this I believe is why he has done so well considering his young age as a manager.

Looking forward to seeing how he continues to develop himself, as well as the Albion.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Garbage BBC journalism. Had a wobble for 30 minutes and then preceded to dominate with Chelsea parking the bus.

Hate to think what Chelsea were if we were "poor".
314205c290225a1ff9a1f5ed9d23d462.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
BBC sport match report "the seagulls were poor for most of the match" and "earned an unlikely point". Load of drivel :lolol:

They can't help themselves ............

Brighton's attacking threat was largely nullified by Chelsea's defence ............. BUT ..........they produced the clearest chances - both thwarted by the brilliance of keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Bless................

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Again, complete drivel. AJ has had to bide his time because he obviously hasn’t shown enough to get in until now! Not sure why you feel the need to criticise GP when AJ has been mostly irrelevant in all appearances he has made before now!

Ok, my last reply, as I don’t want this to be a big back and forth. If you go to my original post, you will see that I said GP is a great coach. But even great coaches can sometimes miss a good player (Mo Sarah in Chelsea comes to mind).

Last year, AJ was 90% of the time defending in our own half. Then a new coach comes in and says clean sheet and everyone gets a chance. And everyone does except AJ. Maybe GP was working on AJ’s bicycle kicks for the past 18 weeks and thought he is finally ready. :smile:

In AJ’s interviews, he keeps mentioning how difficult this half season had been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here