Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Burnley *** Official Match Thread ***

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Pretty much the same as most teams, then?
If we were brilliant at all things, we'd be world beaters.
Yes, absolutely. But we’re not world beaters. On a club football forum, why shouldn’t we talk through these issues? If this was a general Premier League forum, do you think I’d be moaning about some aspects of Albion's game? No! Of course I wouldn’t. I’m here among friends. We can discuss this stuff frankly.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I knew we would struggle as soon as I saw the team , in the first half not only was our passing painfully slow we had a midfield that must be the slowest in the premier league, there was no urgency in our play ,
I agree. I think we know why RDZ does it (resting certain players etc) but we are not good enough to get away with it. He always ends up having to introduce our better players early in the second half and take off the "lesser players" but by then we are chasing the game.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes, absolutely. But we’re not world beaters. On a club football forum, why shouldn’t we talk through these issues? If this was a general Premier League forum, do you think I’d be moaning about some aspects of Albion's game? No! Of course I wouldn’t. I’m here among friends. We can discuss this stuff frankly.
Indeed we can (and should), but surely at a level of realism? We didn't win today, but did enough that we 'could' have done. We have scored more goals than at the same point last season. We 'could' have gone 5th today, had we poked one more goal in. We're still 8th and still in the Europa League.
I can take a 1 - 1 draw v Burnley, and I've seen countless games where we wouldn't have shown the skill/character to come from behind, which we display in spades, these days.
Don't get me wrong, I was screaming for us to score a winner - and we deserved to do so.
Sometimes, it just doesn't happen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of all today's games, we had the biggest expected goals difference.

Does that mean we get the 3 points? Nope. Is it going to make us feel better? Nope. But it's worth knowing.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
This is brilliant. What was lucky about a deflection into the top corner? Yeah nothing. It could not have been a worse deflection ffs.
It was bad defending to let the lad have all that space and fire off a shot. The chances of it then hitting one of the many defenders in front of him not closing down properly and diverting the ball were relatively high and isn’t really that much bad luck. IMO the deflection wasnt even that bad and was still easily close enough to Bart to expect him to save it.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Of all today's games, we had the biggest expected goals difference.

Does that mean we get the 3 points? Nope. Is it going to make us feel better? Nope. But it's worth knowing.
It could have been worse, I think Burnley’s last PL away win was against…..Brighton. We could easily have lost that game on how things went.

I have just watched Villa get every break going to continue their impressive run. At times I thought Arsenal could have been the Albion today :smile:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Indeed we can (and should), but surely at a level of realism? We didn't win today, but did enough that we 'could' have done. We have scored more goals than at the same point last season. We 'could' have gone 5th today, had we poked one more goal in. We're still 8th and still in the Europa League.
I can take a 1 - 1 draw v Burnley, and I've seen countless games where we wouldn't have shown the skill/character to come from behind, which we display in spades, these days.
Don't get me wrong, I was screaming for us to score a winner - and we deserved to do so.
Sometimes, it just doesn't happen.
I totally agree. I understand the importance of positivity. But after the home games against West Ham, AEK, Fulham, Sheff Utd, and now Burnley (and near misses vs Bournemouth and Brentford), I’m detecting a pattern of us underestimating 'weaker' teams in home matches. Like you, I could take a 1-1 vs Burnley… if it wasn’t for those other matches mentioned.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I totally agree. I understand the importance of positivity. But after the home games against West Ham, AEK, Fulham, Sheff Utd, and now Burnley (and near misses vs Bournemouth and Brentford), I’m detecting a pattern of us underestimating 'weaker' teams in home matches. Like you, I could take a 1-1 vs Burnley… if it wasn’t for those other matches mentioned.
Then perhaps balance those thoughts when we beat teams that (again, on paper) we should be losing to....yet don't.
I'm happy with where we are, yet hope for more - time will tell. We have no divine right to win a single match at all,yet we do.
Also, we haven't lost for a little while, which is worth bearing in mind.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
And? We beat Manure away and Saudi at home, we've beaten Ajax home and away . . . Shit happens. .

If you're not happy with where we are you need help.
Understood. But it’s almost as if we’re taking some matches more seriously than others — and getting bitten on the arse for underestimating certain sides.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing I noticed with JPvH today (this isn’t me looking for a scapegoat BTW) was whenever he made a tackle on halfway and failed to win it he looked incredibly slow when getting back and more than once hadn’t reached the box when the shot took place. Hopefully just tiredness and with some recovery time will be fine.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Then perhaps balance those thoughts when we beat teams that (again, on paper) we should be losing to....yet don't.
I'm happy with where we are, yet hope for more - time will tell. We have no divine right to win a single match at all,yet we do.
Also, we haven't lost for a little while, which is worth bearing in mind.
We lost to Chelsea two matches ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here