[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Burnley *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
and I'm frustrated that we couldn't put Sheffield Utd and Burnley away despite having numerous chances to do so, especially today.
To be clear:
You are unhappy with our current position (8th) and just 4 points from 4th, and we have qualified for the next stage in the Europa League......yes?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It was bad defending to let the lad have all that space and fire off a shot. The chances of it then hitting one of the many defenders in front of him not closing down properly and diverting the ball were relatively high and isn’t really that much bad luck. IMO the deflection wasnt even that bad and was still easily close enough to Bart to expect him to save it.

The frustrating thing for me is that quite a few of our goals are not coming from our 'high risk' approach. They're not coming from us being caught on the attack, or from us fannying around at the back. They are coming simply from bad defending. We had plenty of players back today - but we all stood off him, and let him get a shot away.

Roberto is less happy than you:-
Albion had 29 shots at goal and 71% possession but only had Simon Adingra’s second-half header to show for their efforts at the Amex as they missed the chance to climb into the top five. Four of our last five home games in the Premier League have ended in draws.

“I’m frustrated and I go home to think what else we need [to do] to win the game,” he said.

“I consider my team to be very good and no one believes in my players
more than me.

“But we are not a top team yet – a top team wins against Fulham, Sheffield United and today. In those three games we deserved to win [because] we were better than the opponent."
I think he also said something along the lines of 'maybe I'm not a big big coach'? Anyway - he sounded positive that we had the ambition and drive to become that 'big. big team' - and that's what will keep him here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Then perhaps balance those thoughts when we beat teams that (again, on paper) we should be losing to....yet don't.
I'm happy with where we are, yet hope for more - time will tell. We have no divine right to win a single match at all,yet we do.
Also, we haven't lost for a little while, which is worth bearing in mind.
To my mind, the best thing about a hard fought draw today, is the squad will be annoyed, frustrated and determined to go one better, next time out. . . it was an opportunity missed Today . . So they'll be keen to win convincingly next time out. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh, we're playing MArseilles on Thursday. We're right in the mix in the top half, which is as good as it's ever been.

win on Thursday and we're in an even rosier unchartered territory.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I see today as a missed opportunity. We did enough to win (forget about 'deserving' - no one 'deserves' to win), and simply failed to score the extra goal needed to do so.
Yes, we had many chances to do so, but that same scenario is played out every week, across all the leagues, from Premier downwards.
The upshot is that we, along with many others, win matches that we perhaps shouldn't and lose/draw matches that we shouldn't.
Football has always been that way and long may it continue.
Are any of us 'happy' about the result today, or 'happy' about recent (Prem - for clarity) results? Probably not.
Are any of 'happy' with where we are overall?
I'd like to think every damn fan on here is, because if you're not, you're in danger of becoming an entitled fool - and none of us wants to be one of those....do they?
Anyway, I thought it was an entertaining match today, regardless of the result. :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
One thing I noticed with JPvH today (this isn’t me looking for a scapegoat BTW) was whenever he made a tackle on halfway and failed to win it he looked incredibly slow when getting back and more than once hadn’t reached the box when the shot took place. Hopefully just tiredness and with some recovery time will be fine.
He was being repeatedly fouled . . . Accumulative fatigue and niggles?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Last week I watched the highlights from Arsenal away last season we now seem a long way from that performance. I know we sold the entire midfield and have some injuries although I have felt for a while something isn’t right. We seem to desperate to score when a goal down, instead of pinging the ball around and probing for that opening which we did really well last season we are panicking. Ferguson prime example today he wasn’t thinking far to desperate to score himself, Mitoma smacked of desperation and Pedro didn’t have a first touch to save himself today. All very strange.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Only annoying superfan trolls would have been happy on the final whistle today. Once again we gave a more limited team than us a foothold in the game - we got away with it on Wednesday but you can’t keep giving the opposition the initiative
Polyannas eh?

Looking at the table there’s beginning to be a breakaway top 10 from the bottom half of the table - even if WH win and we drop down to 9th, there’s still a convincing gap. I’lll be happy with a top 10 finish this season after all our injuries - making it to the knockout rounds makes that even more impressive. We are less than halfway through the season, once Fati, Lamptey, Enciso, Welbeck and Pervis are back in January/Feb, we still have a third of the season to go, plus hopefully the round of 16. It’s not too shabby imo. This was probably the sort of game we lost under Potter.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Last week I watched the highlights from Arsenal away last season we now seem a long way from that performance. I know we sold the entire midfield and have some injuries although I have felt for a while something isn’t right. We seem to desperate to score when a goal down, instead of pinging the ball around and probing for that opening which we did really well last season we are panicking. Ferguson prime example today he wasn’t thinking far to desperate to score himself, Mitoma smacked of desperation and Pedro didn’t have a first touch to save himself today. All very strange.
Some matches we play far above our supposed abilities, and others a lot worse. When it gels we are almost unbeatable - by anyone.
Of course the loss of our midfield giants plays a part, alongside the crippling injury list.
Bearing that in mind, I think we are doing incredibly well to be where we are and I have no worries whatsoever.
As for Mitoma and Ferguson, a LOT of pressure has been put on them to do the business, especially considering the above.
They can't be expected to be at their best, all game...every game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That team would beat today’s team with ease imho. It’s not just the two CM’ers sold, Estupinan and Enciso are out, whilst players are being played out of best position to improvise eg Gross.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That team would beat today’s team with ease imho. It’s not just the two CM’ers sold, Estupinan and Enciso are out, whilst players are being played out of best position to improvise eg Gross.
And without wanting to re-open the goalkeeper debate on this thread, its also my view that Sanchez was a far superior 'keeper compared to either of the options we have now.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Yes, Ferguson seems short on confidence at the moment. Hopefully he'll get a goal or two against Marseille to put a spring back in his step.

Hinshelwood is a great prospect and a real threat when we get the ball into the opponents 18 yard box. A front foot player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One thing I noticed with JPvH today (this isn’t me looking for a scapegoat BTW) was whenever he made a tackle on halfway and failed to win it he looked incredibly slow when getting back

His running style looks incredibly slow, but he usually seems to actually go at about the same pace as the opposition.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We failed to win today.

We are 8th. in the PL.

It is perfectly rational and possible to be very disappointed with, and critical of, the result today whilst still being very pleased with our league position (though it would be nice to have scored that last minute goal that would have put us up to 5th. place, at least until this time tomorrow!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports