Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Brentford *** Official Match Thread ***

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
To come behind 3 times against one of our main rivals for a European spot and score so late on is a point gained at the end of the day but we should have won that 3-0 . Dunk had a very rare off day shit happens but the main thing is we didn’t lose
Doesn't this belong in the 2 points dropped vs 1 point gained thread? Or did that one not get started yet?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Probably worth checking, did RDZ get another card today? Caught a glimpse of his number two holding him back at one point

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I just woke up and read commentary of the game.
15 shots on target !
Raya must have had a very good game.
Will watch replay later.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
Welbeck was good yesterday. The Welbeck yesterday is the best Welbeck of this season so far? I hope Welbeck will keep this good during IMPORTANT APRIL:bhasign:

By the way, why Ferguson didn't play yesterday :unsure: ?.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
It does - not sure of the wording of the rule, but a standard handball or foul is just a pen, but bringing down a player who is about to slot it into an empty net, or stopping the ball going into the net with your hands, is a straight red. The argument for it being a yellow is that we're not sure he was scoring - the fact that it was deliberately and he was likely to score means I think it should be a red, but I concede I am biased.
I always thought the double jeopardy rule applied predominantly to goalkeepers bringing attackers down when they’re through on goal (and inside the box)? Rather than it being a penalty, red card and a forced substitution, it’s now just a penalty (and often a yellow depending on how intentional the “bringing down” was).

I have zero idea how it applies to defenders handling the ball for a clear goalscoring opportunity, if it even does?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I always thought the double jeopardy rule applied predominantly to goalkeepers bringing attackers down when they’re through on goal (and inside the box)? Rather than it being a penalty, red card and a forced substitution, it’s now just a penalty (and often a yellow depending on how intentional the “bringing down” was).

I have zero idea how it applies to defenders handling the ball for a clear goalscoring opportunity, if it even does?
If it prevents a goslscoring opportunity, then it should be a red. Willian got sent off for Fulham for this in their semi final . Unfortunately this is a subjective decision by the ref as to whether the ball was going in

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

I'm sure I have seen defenders on last line of defence being red carded for stopping the ball going in?

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Yes.
(But not nervous - excited. :) )

Bit surprised by the negativity, although it was my first game since 2019 and I thought it was exhilarating! Would have taken the point at the beginning of the day.
I agree with this. It was an excellent game to watch. Yes mistakes were made and we could have one but excitement and drama are what the game is all about and we got bucket loads of that.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Watching the re-run of MOTD and they have just said all ten Brighton out players had at least 2 shots on goal. That’s the kind of stat I like! First time it’s been done since records etc.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thanks. Comments:

- Dunk’s positioning for their second :facepalm:
- Solly’s beautifully lofted cross for our second
- The pen. Look carefully at the movement of the arm, that was very deliberate handball. Should’ve been a red? Double jeopardy does count in that scenario.
Dunk was out jumped/muscled by Jansson for their 1st and looked to be playing all the Brentford players onside for their 3rd. A bad day for him but I’m sure he’ll be back to his brilliant best on Tuesday. Oh - and that headed miss. He needs to start finishing some of those if we want to qualify for Europe.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Welbeck was good yesterday. The Welbeck yesterday is the best Welbeck of this season so far? I hope Welbeck will keep this good during IMPORTANT APRIL:bhasign:

By the way, why Ferguson didn't play yesterday :unsure: ?.
Ferguson ‘picked up a knock on international duty’ according to reports I heard on the radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here