Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Aston Villa *** Official Match Thread ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nobody really cares what you think, tbh.

I dont think you are able to speak for everyone; trying to do so, however, tells me we are very different types of person.

I accept that you dont care though, so I'll make it mutual and won't bother reading or commenting the rest of what you wrote.

Have a pleasant day.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Since that was the FA Cup which Potter values very, very highly, it wouldnt have happened, and people would not have been too pleased - though incredibly excited.

When Swansea put 90% U23 players in the Carabao Cup tie against Crystal Palace, people in general were incredibly happy to see the future of the club.

He in my view as a Premier League manager should take this competition seriously, as we could have a good chance of being successful, which financially would have been a great advantage for the club

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I dont think you are able to speak for everyone; trying to do so, however, tells me we are very different types of person.

I accept that you dont care though, so I'll make it mutual and won't bother reading or commenting the rest of what you wrote.

Have a pleasant day.

I'm curious: did you watch the match at all? On a stream or something?

Aug 19, 2017
They were all wearing the Albion shirt so why does it matter? It's great to see that GP and TB see ALL Albion players as an intricate part of the current set up, so should the fans. If we'd won no one would have batted an eyelid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Training exercise? Most of these players have not played in any game even close to the "importance" (or rather "size") of this; its an extraordinary experience to these youngsters. Once they get the chance in more important games, it will be really valuable having played in a real game against PL level players with 15 000 people watching.

Sorry you all feel "tricked" or whatever having to pay money to watch some future key players & fan favorites. Maybe next time you'll get a manager who puts the ticket price first in his reasoning in how to build the team for the future and selects some half-injured players and their possible replacements for the next PL game into your "Carabao Cup" side.

I think people are being plain silly and dont really understand what Bloom/Potter is trying to do.

You used to post some sensible stuff, now you’re just fishing.

There’s a tried and tested middle path of playing an experienced team, with 2 or 3 newcomers.

Last night was a throw the tie away moment. Incredibly rare.

Quality U23’s, there might be two or three at the very most who will ultimately cut it as PL/Championship first teamers, will rise to the top anyway under Potter. Taking part in Villa’s possession and shooting practice won’t determine that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Since that was the FA Cup which Potter values very, very highly, it wouldnt have happened

Well, we're still working out which matches Potter values and which he doesn't.

Pretty tricky when he specifically says he'll play senior players (Bissouma and Schelotto) then doesn't...

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Have a pleasant day.

I think he speaks for most, to be fair.

Always think that fans of another club that spend so much time on another clubs forum are little sad!!

Why don't you to save your wisdom for your welsh colleagues!!!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He in my view as a Premier League manager should take this competition seriously, as we could have a good chance of being successful, which financially would have been a great advantage for the club

Please tell me more about the great economic advantages of going far in the Carabao Cup (winning seems to be as hard as winning the PL, judging from the last 5-6 winners).

I'm curious: did you watch the match at all? On a stream or something?

No, unfortunately I was working. Really annoying, I love seeing debuts of players I might see for another 20 years.

You used to post some sensible stuff, now you’re just fishing.

Yeah well, I guess me and GP is having a fishing trip then. Guess I'm doing a wacky thing trying to understand what & how he is aiming to achieve something (after all his 10 years of succesfull managing was probably from pure luck) rather than listenting to the know-all people in here; but then again I am wacky sometimes.

And yes - I try to the same with other managers. I just assume they know more about their own teams, uncommunicated information (such as injuries or viruses) & what they need and try to do than the average fan. Sensible or not, up to you I guess.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
W

Please tell me more about the great economic advantages of going far in the Carabao Cup (winning seems to be as hard as winning the PL, judging from the last 5-6.
The prize money is small around 250k, but they receive 45% of gate money for all rounds

But obviously the real money is the place in Europe competition for the winner and some times the runner up

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Please tell me more about the great economic advantages of going far in the Carabao Cup (winning seems to be as hard as winning the PL, judging from the last 5-6 winners).

No, unfortunately I was working. Really annoying, I love seeing debuts of players I might see for another 20 years.

Yeah well, I guess me and GP is having a fishing trip then. Guess I'm doing a wacky thing trying to understand what & how he is aiming to achieve something (after all his 10 years of succesfull managing was probably from pure luck) rather than listenting to the know-all people in here; but then again I am wacky sometimes.

And yes - I try to the same with other managers. I just assume they know more about their own teams, uncommunicated information (such as injuries or viruses) & what they need and try to do than the average fan. Sensible or not, up to you I guess.

Perhaps you're making the assumption that anyone who is critical of last night's training exercise is against GP and his strategy per se?

I still rate the bloke. I'm pleased he's our manager and head coach, I hope he makes a success of the job.

But on this occasion I do not believe that all the missing players were unable to play through injuries, that in effect GP threw away the tie due to the complete imbalance between the two starting elevens.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was as miffed as everyone else over last nights doings but Mr P did say he wouldn't get every decision right.
We are football fans, we are fickle, we'll get over it:albion2:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was as miffed as everyone else over last nights doings but Mr P did say he wouldn't get every decision right.
We are football fans, we are fickle, we'll get over it:albion2:
Double post!
So that's how people get their count up!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
They were all wearing the Albion shirt so why does it matter? It's great to see that GP and TB see ALL Albion players as an intricate part of the current set up, so should the fans. If we'd won no one would have batted an eyelid.

But we had no chance of winning, really.

I was quite miffed last night as it all seemed a waste of money, really (albeit not an expensive night), bit I'm quickly over it, and do understand the fact GP didn't want to risk any more key injuries whilst we have quite a growing injury list at the moment. Especially also considering the points total we have at this stage and how desperate GP will want to be to get more points under our belt.

I'd say we'd be far more pissed off on the whole had we got another key injury last night compared to the fact we put out a young team and lost

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last night's line up would have been appropriate for Leasing Trophy where the youngsters play in the group stages against League 1 or 2 opposition, before going on to the knockout stage. It was not appropriate for round three of the League Cup.

Was Duffy really as shitehouse as the highlights made out?

Pretty much, confidence has obviously taken a massive knock. Wouldn’t be surprised if his agent is a busy man right now

I thought last night was a pretty downbeat affair. Connolly did well, 2-3 others showed good glimpses but most were overwhelmed. The painful thing was watching Villa stroll around in first gear taking nearly 30 shots as they pleased. On another day it could have been 5 or 6 so the result was a relief, which says it all.

Accept Potter’s hands were tied but could some of Saturday’s bench players have played? It’s more down to the club to give him the player depth, have we loaned too many out?

The avid fans won’t mind but I was picking up a lot of resentment around me. Will be interesting to see demand for tickets if we get a home draw in the FA Cup

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are there any sanctions available for clubs to be penalised for deliberately fielding under-strength teams in this competition? I'm pretty sure there is for league matches. I know that teams do regularly field weakened teams for League Cup matches, but at least they put out teams that have half a chance of winning; our effort of putting out a team not to win against Villa was taking it to extremes, surely?

So is there a penalty for taking the piss in this competition?

The prize money is small around 250k, but they receive 45% of gate money for all rounds

But obviously the real money is the place in Europe competition for the winner and some times the runner up
If the League Cup winners have also qualified for the Champions League, then that place does not go to the runners-up - it goes to the sixth or seventh placed Premier League club. This is also the case for the FA Cup, otherwise Watford would have be in Europe this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here