[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AEK Athens *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
We got a lot of things wrong tonight, but the biggest thing we got wrong was our understanding of AEK. Had they been the flimsy bunch that we’d convinced ourselves they were going to be, even this new Albion line-up would have comfortably seen them off. But they weren’t. They hadn’t come here to lay down, as some of us thought. They were confident, muscular, determined and energetic. Halfway through the first half I was comforting myself with the thought that they couldn’t keep us this energy for long but they did. The wouldn’t let us settle, they fought for everything, and ultimately they deserved this victory.

We might have got away with it if AEK had been less singleminded. But we were poor, and had nowhere to hide. I can’t think of one player I’d single out for praise. I’ve seen Fati twice now and can see his quality a mile off — but he hasn’t yet been fully integrated into the team and our style of play. What I like about him is his instinctive, decisive passing and movement. What he does, he does well. We just haven’t yet seen enough of it. It’s hard to criticise someone who won and scored two penalties but I’m afraid I don’t fully share the love for Pedro I’ve seen from some posters here. He’s elegant and gets involved in delicate interplay but in a way is the opposite of Fati in that I find him indecisive and over-elaborate sometimes. Fati sees something and goes for it. Pedro, despite his obvious ball skills and quick feet, doesn’t have such developed instincts. He seems to hesitate sometimes, as if surprised to find himself in a good position, and can make the wrong decision. But as I say, hard to be too negative about a guy who produces two excellent penalties under pressure. Pervis was inexplicably poor tonight with barely a single pass finding its target. And…. but it’s best not to go through the team as there’s almost nothing positive to say.

The one consolation for me is that it might actually do us some good. After the West Ham defeat, the bloke next to me said something similar. "Sometimes we need to be reminded not to believe all the bullshit", he said, and thought the West Ham result might be a useful kick up the arse — as the results against Newcastle and United seemed to bear out. We all know that RDZ rarely repeats his mistakes. I think it’s true that he’s never lost two games in a row here (except possibly right at the beginning) because he quickly learns from his mistakes. So I’m expecting a a big rebound against Bournemouth, and against Marseille. Disappointing though the evening was, in the long run, it might just be the reality check we all needed.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Go one down against teams like Wham, Everton and Athens it is an uphill struggle against a packed defense with a constant risk of being done on the break.

Weirdly it seemed like today was like their cup final.

(ps - is it too soon to say that Fatty looks a bit shit?)
He’s not shit at all. He’s an exceptional talent but just isn’t yet involved enough. I’d expect that to change pretty quickly under RDZ, especially with the money we’re paying. It’s important that no one gets on his back after his first full appearance. Please. He'll come good, just wait.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He’s not shit at all. He’s an exceptional talent but just isn’t yet involved enough. I’d expect that to change pretty quickly under RDZ, especially with the money we’re paying. It’s important that no one gets on his back after his first full appearance. Please. He'll come good, just wait.
Fair point.

Yesterday was quite a school day all round :thumbsup:

Mont-Colt65

Sep 18, 2023
We got a lot of things wrong tonight, but the biggest thing we got wrong was our understanding of AEK. Had they been the flimsy bunch that we’d convinced ourselves they were going to be, even this new Albion line-up would have comfortably seen them off. But they weren’t. They hadn’t come here to lay down, as some of us thought. They were confident, muscular, determined and energetic. Halfway through the first half I was comforting myself with the thought that they couldn’t keep us this energy for long but they did. The wouldn’t let us settle, they fought for everything, and ultimately they deserved this victory.

We might have got away with it if AEK had been less singleminded. But we were poor, and had nowhere to hide. I can’t think of one player I’d single out for praise. I’ve seen Fati twice now and can see his quality a mile off — but he hasn’t yet been fully integrated into the team and our style of play. What I like about him is his instinctive, decisive passing and movement. What he does, he does well. We just haven’t yet seen enough of it. It’s hard to criticise someone who won and scored two penalties but I’m afraid I don’t fully share the love for Pedro I’ve seen from some posters here. He’s elegant and gets involved in delicate interplay but in a way is the opposite of Fati in that I find him indecisive and over-elaborate sometimes. Fati sees something and goes for it. Pedro, despite his obvious ball skills and quick feet, doesn’t have such developed instincts. He seems to hesitate sometimes, as if surprised to find himself in a good position, and can make the wrong decision. But as I say, hard to be too negative about a guy who produces two excellent penalties under pressure. Pervis was inexplicably poor tonight with barely a single pass finding its target. And…. but it’s best not to go through the team as there’s almost nothing positive to say.

The one consolation for me is that it might actually do us some good. After the West Ham defeat, the bloke next to me said something similar. "Sometimes we need to be reminded not to believe all the bullshit", he said, and thought the West Ham result might be a useful kick up the arse — as the results against Newcastle and United seemed to bear out. We all know that RDZ rarely repeats his mistakes. I think it’s true that he’s never lost two games in a row here (except possibly right at the beginning) because he quickly learns from his mistakes. So I’m expecting a a big rebound against Bournemouth, and against Marseille. Disappointing though the evening was, in the long run, it might just be the reality check we all needed.

Sound analysis. I think RDZ might have made tactical mistakes. As you stated it looked like we did not prepare well against Almeyda's AEK. We did not have proper tactical countermeasures against AEK's style of play: a team full of tenacious and physically strong players who worked so hard, by pressing, to break us down our slick passing (in the rain) to protect their back-line. I think RDZ will continue with his style of play no matter who our opponents are. So it would be more important for us to get the starting 11 right & rotate/rest players well, imo.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Adingra is far more effective on the right hand side we looked perfectly balanced on Saturday plus his defensive work was on point.
Pedro unlucky not to be taking the match ball home with him.

We become to eager to get back in the game and start doing stupid stuff. Man City for example don’t panic and keep playing the same game knowing eventually a chance will open up. We have learnt nothing from the West Ham game it was near on identical which was probably the most disappointing.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Sound analysis. I think RDZ might have made tactical mistakes. As you stated it looked like we did not prepare well against Almeyda's AEK. We did not have proper tactical countermeasures against AEK's style of play: a team full of tenacious and physically strong players who worked so hard, by pressing, to break us down our slick passing (in the rain) to protect their back-line. I think RDZ will continue with his style of play no matter who our opponents are. So it would be more important for us to get the starting 11 right & rotate/rest players well, imo.
They were brilliant - everything Man United weren't the other day. Made it even more clear that Manchester United made it very easy for us the other day through being so passive etc (once we sussed them out and they couldn't be arsed anymore)

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Well they are really having never played together before. Igor impressed me on the ball and I would like to see him play alongside Dunk. Mitoma was the most disappointing for me.
It was an unfortunate circumstance Dunk being out, it shows how vital he is. They never looked particularly organised with their line, spacing or going to win the ball, something expected given the circumstances.
Overall poor team performance, and the inexperience at centre was exploited well by AEK. With a bit more time/coaching/experience there’s 2 good centre halves there, I’m not trashing them both.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Go one down against teams like Wham, Everton and Athens it is an uphill struggle against a packed defense with a constant risk of being done on the break.

Weirdly it seemed like today was like their cup final.

(ps - is it too soon to say that Fatty looks a bit shit?)
I hope Fati will come good. The kid was playing for Spain and Barca at 16.

As for going behind, I get it, but we levelled up twice. Very much our own fault last night. Play like that on Sunday and Bournemouth will have a field day.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
?????? You obviously watched that half so I assume you saw Joao Pedro play?!

Igor has been good but JP the best player on the pitch by quite some margin.
I do wish that sometimes JP would have a shot “one shimmy earlier” at times.
But what do I know, I was only watching it on the telly. I suspect he knows better than i do.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Just looked at the brief highlights. No argument for their first, a brilliant header. We should have dealt with their second. Am I alone in saying that Lampty was fouled as he ran towards goal for their third?
Perhaps it is the result of having a scratch back four that that have never before played together. We had a kid at centre half, I might have preferred Webster for this one.
Oh well.... it is done now and despite the excitement and it being a milestone for the club, the league is more important. Let’s see us bounce back on Sunday!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
lacked a focal point up front and think it should have been Fati or Pedro behind Wellbeck as both lacked cohesion and were occupying the same spaces. Our centre backs and a snail paced Milner were schooled by an aggressive and direct attack from AEK and the Pervis/Mitoma combo was off its usual high standards. Too many of our combos looked new to each other or rusty. Like the West Ham game (and Everton last season) boy we struggle when teams go direct with power.

Disappointing result but great noise from the stands and perhaps will serve as a wake up call of what is required in European football and will dampen down some of the hype.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I hope Fati will come good. The kid was playing for Spain and Barca at 16.

As for going behind, I get it, but we levelled up twice. Very much our own fault last night. Play like that on Sunday and Bournemouth will have a field day.
You may be right, but apart from right at the start of his reign, I don't think we've lost two consecutive games under RdZ. Mind you, I don't think we've run 3 on the trot either

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Dunk was a massive miss last night. Thought Igor was pretty decent I’d like to see him next to Dunky sometime. Also thought Ferguson was a massive miss, start with him and Pedro instead of Pedro and Fati it’s a very different challenge for their defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports