Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AEK Athens *** Official Match Thread ***

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What a day what emotion.

Early morning watching listening to any mention of Brighton. Oh the excitement. Then midday I get a phone call from my friend's son to say he had died that morning. My friend, who had fallen out of the habit of going to the Albion until I started inviting him to use my spare ST at Withdean. It reignited the passion and so for 20 years he has sat next to me.

Needless to say the afternoon was taken up contacting my family and friends to let them know of the sad news.

Arriving at the ground, raising a glass(plastic) to my dear friend and trying to feel "right" for the iconic game before us.

AEK Athens done a job on us, especially the killer blow at the end, we huffed and puffed but failed to get a foothold. Should we have settled for draw, maybe, AEK certainly would have, but no, still going full out for a win we overstretched ourselves and succumbed. RDZ will learn loads from this game. All is not lost.

So we trudge back to the car in pouring rain, getting back to the car in Ali's on the A21, no keys in my pocket, SHIT. My friend remains at the car my son and I trudge back with a torch to retrace our steps. Halfway back to the ground my friend calls to say he checked my car and sure enough the keys were sat where I put them in the centre consul (bloody keyless ingnition). So finally get to the car, soaked, we drive towards Hastings only to find huge traffic jams. Finally get home having dropped my friend then my son at 12.30. Wet, exhausted, proud, melancholy what a surreal day.

RIP John

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Everyone saying maybe changes (even late ones) unsettled us...it's RDZs absolute modus operandi that any player can come in anywhere and do a job. Even Gross said in the presser that one of the unique things about RDZ is that all the squad train together all the time. There's no first team plus others.
So we just just didn't perform last night.

We aren't Man City. We don't have that calibre of player. Most of these players are playing at their absolute limits. We have a GK who was known for being the butt of the jokes of a documentary about a lower league team before last season. The side against Man U cost 16 million.
We know and we knew when he joined that RDZ believes that defence effectively constitutes not giving the ball away. There clearly isn't much focus on set pieces, on the back four as a defensive unit - it's all about what we do with the ball.
Even against United we could have easily been 2 down before we scored. Thankfully Rashford had a mare.

If our possession isn't controlled, if our GK doesn't make decent early saves or their forwards are on fire, we are going to struggle. It's not about being found out etc, it's just those basics.
But right now we are on for a 60-70% win ratio which would be insane.

So I feel like this is some kind of zen practice for us all.
No point trying to work it out, getting on players backs, worrying too much- we've lost games badly with Dunk at the back, with Moises and Mac in CM.
It is what it is.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Harsh on JPvH for reasons I said on another thread. The bloke has no choice but to go to the ball to prevent the shot. And Igor was miles out of position and sloppily barely trotted back when Mitoma gave the ball away AGAIN. I think Igor was more to blame than vH who was at least on the premises.
Opinions differ I guess - overall many players weren't on it as they have been and that was a tough game for a new defender to come in for alongside a less experienced one - I thought he looked excelent considering that and I'm sure he'll improve as a result.

Watching it back he saw two players defending the hopefull ball, no need for charging back, the two defenders made a right mess of it which prompted him to charge back. Can't see him at fault for the 3rd at all. Kamptey and Van Hecke yes, but certainly not hanging them out to dry for that.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Watched the 18 min highlights on the official page and have to say, first goal unstoppable with the players where they were (really expecting Mitoma to cover three players and then put off a towering centreback, what with, his fringe?) but their 2 other goals were utter flukes. Steele saved the 3rd and it bounced back off their player and in. At the game, sat behind the goal, I couldn't decide if we were a bit turd, unlucky or they played exceptionally. On watching the highlights I'd say we played ok but no where near our best and they did the West Ham thing well. Should have been a draw but that's football.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think when are awarded a corner, we should decline and let them have a goal kick. We have more chance of creating something.
It is remarkable the attention to detail by RDZ given to all other aspects of our game whereas corners or freekicks around the box are bereft of any danger.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It is remarkable the attention to detail by RDZ given to all other aspects of our game whereas corners or freekicks around the box are bereft of any danger.
Indeed.

The freekick just outside the box, when Pascal rolled it to Solly, who gradually went wider and wider, until he had to pass it backwards was frustrating as hell.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Indeed.

The freekick just outside the box, when Pascal rolled it to Solly, who gradually went wider and wider, until he had to pass it backwards was frustrating as hell.
Just when it feels like we're well on our way to becoming an elite football team that might potentially challenge for major trophies (an absolutely bonkers thing to be able to say, granted), you're reminded how machine-like teams like Man City are, who have an abundant threat from set-pieces in addition to everything else they do almost flawlessly.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
What a day what emotion.

Early morning watching listening to any mention of Brighton. Oh the excitement. Then midday I get a phone call from my friend's son to say he had died that morning. My friend, who had fallen out of the habit of going to the Albion until I started inviting him to use my spare ST at Withdean. It reignited the passion and so for 20 years he has sat next to me.

Needless to say the afternoon was taken up contacting my family and friends to let them know of the sad news.

Arriving at the ground, raising a glass(plastic) to my dear friend and trying to feel "right" for the iconic game before us.

AEK Athens done a job on us, especially the killer blow at the end, we huffed and puffed but failed to get a foothold. Should we have settled for draw, maybe, AEK certainly would have, but no, still going full out for a win we overstretched ourselves and succumbed. RDZ will learn loads from this game. All is not lost.

So we trudge back to the car in pouring rain, getting back to the car in Ali's on the A21, no keys in my pocket, SHIT. My friend remains at the car my son and I trudge back with a torch to retrace our steps. Halfway back to the ground my friend calls to say he checked my car and sure enough the keys were sat where I put them in the centre consul (bloody keyless ingnition). So finally get to the car, soaked, we drive towards Hastings only to find huge traffic jams. Finally get home having dropped my friend then my son at 12.30. Wet, exhausted, proud, melancholy what a surreal day.

RIP John
Very sorry to hear your sad news.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I think when are awarded a corner, we should decline and let them have a goal kick. We have more chance of creating something.
It’s got past the stage where set pieces are embarrassing. WTF is going on with them . It just so clearly shows there is not a lot of effort or thought going into them The Gross March fee kick being the worst ever yet .

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Many (most?) posters on here refer to Joao Pedro as JP and Van Hecke as JPVH.

Stop it!!

Why use JP for Pedro? Especially when it makes sense to abbreviate Jan Paul van Hecke to JP. Why not use initials for ALL players then? The rule seems to be to use initials for long or more complex names eg RDZ. Pedro is a nice simple name.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
To sweeten the hit last night, before the game I thought the odds for an AEK win were very long, so I stuck a tenner on AEK to win (draw no bet) at 12/1. Would rather have had the win though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here