[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AEK Athens *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Just my opinion, but people are focusing on the defence being at fault, while I think the issue lies further up the pitch in midfield.

We should keep the ball better. Then we won't be putting undue pressure on the defence. I've no idea of the stats in this game, but we seemed to give the ball away much more than we do in the PL. I appreciate that this may be due to the close man-marking employed by AEK.
Two goals from set pieces and another when we had two on two and you blame the midfield? All the goals were badly defended and very soft. VH and Igor looked f***ing awful together tonight and RDZ needs to take the blame for that. Webster has been very shaky recently but I can't see that sort of performance at the back if we'd played Pervis, Webster, Veltman and Lamptey.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The first Athens goal was one heck of a header but mitoma should stop the free header.

The second and third goals were complete freaks. The second was won by van hecke who got a decent boot on it but it hit the attacker and it flew straight to the bloke in the floor who accidentally kicked it bottom corner. Complete freak.

Third goal was a good save. Bounced back onto the player and rebounded in - not unlike the JWP goal.

The second two were freaks. The first is incredibly rare quality.

Pedro should square the hat trick chance for a tap in or take more time as keeper went early. Very poor finish after great run and pass.

Bit of a weird and unlucky result.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
My observation:

We only sing when we’re winning. We only win when we’re singing.

For the 10 minutes we decided to sing after the second penalty they were on the ropes and started making rash decisions. The atmosphere let the team down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's easy to pin the defensive performance on dunk being out of the team but we've had a number of performances and results like tonight with Dunk in the team - WH just the other week for a start. Very simplistic imo to say that conceding 3 tonight was because of Dunk.

Was Veltman in the starting line up in those other shockers?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Two goals from set pieces and another when we had two on two and you blame the midfield? All the goals were badly defended and very soft. VH and Igor looked f***ing awful together tonight and RDZ needs to take the blame for that. Webster has been very shaky recently but I can't see that sort of performance at the back if we'd played Pervis, Webster, Veltman and Lamptey.Heck
Two goals from set pieces and another when we had two on two and you blame the midfield? All the goals were badly defended and very soft. VH and Igor looked f***ing awful together tonight and RDZ needs to take the blame for that. Webster has been very shaky recently but I can't see that sort of performance at the back if we'd played Pervis, Webster, Veltman and Lamptey.
VH actually got a decent boot on their second goal. It was a complete freak.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
To follow up on the theme of midfield, I read today that we were in for Locatelli from Juventus, but he turned us down.
The midfield have defensive duties as well !

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Why didn't Veltman start? He was great at OT.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Let's not blame them individually, but if you concede three goals at home against a poorer team it would be disingenuous to describe either CBs performance as decent or above.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
People blaming Igor, JPVH and the midfield but it was Lamptey who was ball-watching and left his man for their winner.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
To follow up on the theme of midfield, I read today that we were in for Locatelli from Juventus, but he turned us down.

The midfield have defensive duties as well !
Locatelli was the CM RDZ wanted but it was beyond a long shot. He met him, I know that for a fact.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My observation:

We only sing when we’re winning. We only win when we’re singing.

For the 10 minutes we decided to sing after the second penalty they were on the ropes and started making rash decisions. The atmosphere let the team down.

Opposing that view, the crowd witnessed AEK ripping apart our dire defence from the off. Then an unmarked AEK player was presented with a gift. Then they continued to tear us apart on the counter.

Imho you could read the wrong team being overrun. Crushing any spirit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Goals from open play in the Europa League for Sima and Gyokeres. Well done them - although Rangers fans still squabbling over ways to attribute Sima's goal to anybody other than Sima!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Atmosphere crap . Let the team down

Strange game . Uphill battle in Europa now

Bounce back Sunday

Disappointing

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Deserved to lose. Athens looked like they would score each time they went forwards. Veltman and dunk are essential for our defence.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think RDZ 'read the room' correctly tonight, get the impression he had half an eye on Sunday and rotated the team too much. Playing Igor and JPVH wasn't a good move imo, needed some leadership & aerial prowess and would have been a game for Webster I thought (and said so before the game).

If we'd gone slightly stronger think we'd have caused them a lot more problems - makes the group a lot more tricky now.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
People blaming Igor, JPVH and the midfield but it was Lamptey who was ball-watching and left his man for their winner.
And Lamptey wouldn’t have made that mistake if Mitoma hadn’t given it away again as he did a lot tonight and then Van Hecke’s positioning and hesitation was poor after Lamptey’s error.

I don’t think blame can be pinned on one player tonight, the whole team were a bit off it (except Pedro) and unfortunately you can’t get away with that against half decent and massively motivated opposition like AEK were tonight.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Odd game, most disjointed performance I can remember for a long time. So little of the fluidity in possession we are used to. Too many stupid flicks gifting possession when an easy ball was on. Poor defending, and freak deflections cost us. Really surprised Lallana didn't come on to bring some control to the game that we were crying out for. Tough initiation to European football. Have to get better, sure we will

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I find myself saying more and more lately that we can beat anyone on the day. Unfortunately anyone can beat us on the day as well! Still think it's great football though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why didn't Veltman start? He was great at OT.
The omission of Veltman was something I was uneasy about even before kick off (there's a post somewhere on here to prove it!)

Perhaps we need to get in a defensive coach (maybe there is one in the huge coaching team already - in which case we need a better one!!) - we all know de Zerbi is all about attack and scoring goals, but occasionally - just occasionally - the 'you score goals and we'll score more' philosophy needs to be tempered with a bit of defensive solidity. Especially from set pieces!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports