Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AEK Athens *** Official Match Thread ***

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I just get worried that Dunk in our central partnership makes up for the inadequacies of all the other central defenders. If Dunk and Van Hecke don’t play we are going to struggle. It doesn’t surprise me that Igor’s disciplinary record is so poor.
This is it for me.

Dunk is a player who makes the other players around him look even better.

We saw it with Ben White who struggled initially at Arsenal. We've seen it with Webster. And now we're seeing it with van Hecke.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spare a thought for English teams in the past that have been cheated in Europe. If not for VAR what would that result have been? That ref wasn’t bent imo but I have seen games in the past that were later proved to be corrupt decisions.
He was poor but, aside of the penalties, his poorness was equal. Both sides gained and lost on his judgement.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
This is my worry when Dunk retries or finally losses his step.

Dunk is no spring chicken, we need a replacement for him otherwise we're going to have this issue when he retires or has to sit out games on a more regular basis.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Onto Sunday. Much like Alan Partridge, I’m sure we’ll bounce back.

Veltman has to play, he’s consistently one of our best players.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This is it for me.

Dunk is a player who makes the other players around him look even better.

We saw it with Ben White who struggled initially at Arsenal. We've seen it with Webster. And now we're seeing it with van Hecke.
And Duffy who was struggling before he joined us and has done nothing after, and Burn to an extent, and Colwill to an extent.
We don't have two outstanding CBs.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It makes qualifying more interesting now. Nothing worse if your sailing throgh the group and have 2 games to play with nothing riding on the result.
Away from home at AEK they will probably be more adventurous which will probably suit Brighton.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
And Duffy who was struggling before he joined us and has done nothing after, and Burn to an extent, and Colwill to an extent.
We don't have two outstanding CBs.
It's easy to pin the defensive performance on dunk being out of the team but we've had a number of performances and results like tonight with Dunk in the team - WH just the other week for a start. Very simplistic imo to say that conceding 3 tonight was because of Dunk.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Just my opinion, but people are focusing on the defence being at fault, while I think the issue lies further up the pitch in midfield.

We should keep the ball better. Then we won't be putting undue pressure on the defence. I've no idea of the stats in this game, but we seemed to give the ball away much more than we do in the PL. I appreciate that this may be due to the close man-marking employed by AEK.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's easy to pin the defensive performance on dunk being out of the team but we've had a number of performances and results like tonight with Dunk in the team - WH just the other week for a start. Very simplistic imo to say that conceding 3 tonight was because of Dunk.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's very hard to judge another CB when they play alongside Dunk because he clearly makes players look better (mostly).

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Not the result we wanted but playing in Europe isn't easy. AEK played well, BHA played pretty well. It's a learning curve and we have to improve to progress. Missing Dunk and Ferguson. VH and Igor first start together and they were hesitant at times but it's not all doom and gloom as still a good chance of getting results.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Crowd had an absolute shocker. It's funny at the AMEX sometimes.
Intrigued to hear from those at the game as it sounded really shit on the telly. Very surprising all things considered and the fact it's been very good in the league

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's very hard to judge another CB when they play alongside Dunk because he clearly makes players look better (mostly).
Sorry - my post wasn't really aimed at you, just the general theme! Happened to quote yours but probably should've made the point that I wasn't aiming it at you specifically

Agree with you 100%

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Onto Sunday. Much like Alan Partridge, I’m sure we’ll bounce back.

Veltman has to play, he’s consistently one of our best players.
Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn’t it?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
What?

Igor. More like Herman Munster.
🤣 I've really no idea why people are singling out Igor for criticism tonight unless they are mistaking him for another player.. a very assured and composed performance.
Yes we missed Dunk. Yes he should probably have scored the header ( but no reason to believe another defender would have been in that position and scored)
He was pretty much our best player tonight, maybe other than Pedro. Credit where its due.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just my opinion, but people are focusing on the defence being at fault, while I think the issue lies further up the pitch in midfield.

We should keep the ball better. Then we won't be putting undue pressure on the defence. I've no idea of the stats in this game, but we seemed to give the ball away much more than we do in the PL. I appreciate that this may be due to the close man-marking employed by AEK.
yes, too easy to pin all on the defense when the ball was given away so cheaply, too often, little cover in front of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Typical Albion whining about officials.

No Velrman, Dunk or proper DM was the killer. Keystone Cops from the start. They could easily have scored 6.

Nonchalant to play two slow technicians in front of the CB’s. Seized upon by AEK, we made their CF look like Mbappe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here