Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Hippodrome

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Will there be objections from local restaurants or do they think it will drum up more trade for them ?

No idea, but you can't refuse a planning applications on the back of objections from rival traders.

I would have thought that one social aspect of this project would be that you only eat in one of those restaurants if it was part of an evening which involved seeing a film too. Aside from that, I'm not convinced that the restaurants would attract much trade in their own right. It might depend on the nature of the restaurants in question.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Do you really think so?? How many screens are there, 20 or so? I'm not sure that stacks up well against simarlar size cities. I don't feel like there's much competition....

As a film lover I think i'm pretty well catered for. We have an Arts cinema, and arty mainstream cinema and two multiplex cinemas. It will be showing the same films that the Odeon and Cinewold show and similar to Dukes at the Komedia. If we are not catered for it's because big cinema chains would rather show 4 massive films in 2d and 3d constantly rather than show anything else. Adding another multiplex won't resolve this it will just mean you'll have another place you can pay £12 to watch shit in 3d

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Adding another multiplex won't resolve this it will just mean you'll have another place you can pay £12 to watch shit in 3d

Or £15 if it is on an IMAX screen.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
As a film lover I think i'm pretty well catered for. We have an Arts cinema, and arty mainstream cinema and two multiplex cinemas. It will be showing the same films that the Odeon and Cinewold show and similar to Dukes at the Komedia. If we are not catered for it's because big cinema chains would rather show 4 massive films in 2d and 3d constantly rather than show anything else. Adding another multiplex won't resolve this it will just mean you'll have another place you can pay £12 to watch shit in 3d

Exactly this.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Interesting old building? Busy part of town? Need of redevelopment?

MASSIVE Wetherspoons.

Funny you should say that HKFC. The old cinema in Forest Hill, an area of South East London I'm familiar with for various reasons (irrelevant to this thread), the Capitol, was converted to a Wetherspoons a while ago. They're now being kicked out a their rumoured replacement is...a cinema.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A successful cinema at the Hippodrome, may hasten the decline of the Odeon. The opportunity to redevelop this entire plot along with the Brighton Centre, could be what is needed to bring the city up to scratch for conferences, an area where is it is starting to seriously fall behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here