Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Hippodrome

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I visited the museum behind the Pavilion about 10 years ago, and seem to remember the exhibition saying that Brighton once had three mainstream theatres, of which the Theatre Royal was the only one still going (presumably they weren't counting the Gardner Arts Centre as it was only built with the university and considered the Komedia to be a fringe venue). If the Theatre Royal was one and the Hippodrome another, where was the third? Was the Gloucester originally a theatre?

Talking of the Hippodrome, I didn't know it was there until I walked down Middle Street on my way to a gig at the Brighton Centre (though there may have been a thread on here before then - the old memory is fading somewhat).

West Pier?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I went to see Under Milk Wood a couple of weeks ago in the Theatre Royal. I understand that many people love these traditional style theatres, personally I don't. I would much rather see a show in the sixties concrete theatre in Chichester than the Georgian splendour of the Theatre Royal. This is a long way of saying, I am not a total philistine, I just don't think there is the demand for another traditional theatre in Brighton. The Hippodrome has been a big wasted space for such a long time, I can only welcome this new development. I understand why people have a downer on cinema. The two mainstream cinemas in Brighton, are miserable often expensive places to visit. Places like the Dome in Worthing and the Duke of York in Brighton, are just so much more pleasant to visit.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The West Pier saga is what I first thought of when I saw so many people asking to save it, but without a firm plan in place. Planning laws don't generally cater for emotional appeals...

... however, this is correct too. Not because cinemas aren't full, but because I believe Brighton is adequately catered for already.

Do you really think so?? How many screens are there, 20 or so? I'm not sure that stacks up well against simarlar size cities. I don't feel like there's much competition....

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Out of interest when was the last live show at the Hippodrome?

Per Wikipedia
The Hippodrome was accordingly adapted to host concerts and other large-scale events: 4,000 people were attracted to concerts by The Beatles (part of their 1964 World Tour) and The Rolling Stones (on their 4th British Tour 1964) in October 1964.[6] This could not stop the decline, though, and in 1965 the theatre was closed and converted into a short-lived television and film studio.[6][8] In 1967, it was bought by the Rank Organisation and turned into a Mecca Bingo hall;[6][8] the conversion work included the insertion of a raised floor above the stage and through the proscenium arch

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I visited the museum behind the Pavilion about 10 years ago, and seem to remember the exhibition saying that Brighton once had three mainstream theatres, of which the Theatre Royal was the only one still going (presumably they weren't counting the Gardner Arts Centre as it was only built with the university and considered the Komedia to be a fringe venue). If the Theatre Royal was one and the Hippodrome another, where was the third? Was the Gloucester originally a theatre?

Talking of the Hippodrome, I didn't know it was there until I walked down Middle Street on my way to a gig at the Brighton Centre (though there may have been a thread on here before then - the old memory is fading somewhat).

The third theatre could have been the theatre before michelin star Havana Restaurant (near Ship Street) - it was a theatre royal... or so I was told when I ate there a few years back.

I feel the cinema is unnecessary and nor are the additional restaurants... Are we going to get yet another pizza express or another zizzis?? Dukes are fantastic cinemas - I went to see Boyhood on Tuesday evening and the place was full to capacity which was nice to see because like other people have mentioned the mainstream cinemas like Cineworld are barely half full!

I would much rather a music venue where we can get decent production and theatre events instead of another multiplex... but hey what do I know.. its not like the council dont listen to the public who pay taxes. I've woffled on for years about lack of facilities like an olympic pool in brighton... we simply dont get a say and thats why this petition is important. It 'might' give us a chance to voice alternatives.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The third theatre could have been the theatre before michelin star Havana Restaurant (near Ship Street) - it was a theatre royal... or so I was told when I ate there a few years back.

I feel the cinema is no warranted and nor are the additional restaurants... Are we going to get yet another pizza express or another zizzis?? Dukes are fantastic cinemas - I went to see Boyhood on Tuesday evening and the place was full to capacity which was nice to see because like other people have mentioned the mainstream cinemas like Cineworld are barely half full!

I would much rather a music venue where we can get decent production and theatre events instead of another multiplex... but hey what do I know.. its not like the council dont like to the public who pay taxes. I've woffled on for years about lack of facilities like an olympic pool in brighton... we simply dont get a say and thats why this petition is important. It 'might' give us a chance to voice alternatives.

The petition didn't offer anything apart from saying 'we don't want a multiplex'.

Without a viable alternative plan (and bearing in mind four councillors voted against the recommendations of the planning officers), it had a reasonable chance of getting through.

FWIW - I was told that it would never be a live music venue (in the style of, say Concorde2) as it's officially in a residential area. A theatre is a good idea, but I'm making a leap here to say that it's not a financially viable option - else why hasn't it re-opened as one lately?

Personally, I believe a museum would be a decent alternative option if a theatre is not viable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting old building? Busy part of town? Need of redevelopment?

MASSIVE Wetherspoons.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd rather it was turned into a cinema complex than left as it is. Let's face it, they won't come up with a viable alternative and even if they do it will take another 15 years of planning and enquiries, this is Brighton & Hove don't forget.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'd love to see it back as a live music venue. The Dome is a theatre (not great for live bands IMO), the Concorde 2 only holds 700 (but it is awesome) and the Brighton Centre is really big, but shite. We've got tons of smaller venues, but not a loto around the 2k capacity.

It's very easy to say it won't survive, it's easy to say that we have a lot of music venues already. But in my little bubble where money doesn't matter, I say give it a go. Bring it back as a music venue. Then if it goes tits up. THEN you can stick a cinema or lazerquest or whatever else there. But I just want to see it restored first!

punk:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I feel the cinema is unnecessary and nor are the additional restaurants... Are we going to get yet another pizza express or another zizzis?? Dukes are fantastic cinemas - I went to see Boyhood on Tuesday evening and the place was full to capacity which was nice to see because like other people have mentioned the mainstream cinemas like Cineworld are barely half full!

I would much rather a music venue where we can get decent production and theatre events instead of another multiplex... but hey what do I know.. its not like the council dont listen to the public who pay taxes I've woffled on for years about lack of facilities like an olympic pool in brighton.... we simply dont get a say and thats why this petition is important. It 'might' give us a chance to voice alternatives.

So true, as an example the council won't ask the tax payers what we want at the King Alfred because everyone wants a state of the art sports centre like the Guilford Spectrum built there. Their policy is to build a 25m pool and 450 residential units there and they will never ask for an opinion from the tax payers, so the door is firmly shut in regard to taking any notice of public opinion.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
So true, as an example the council won't ask the tax payers what we want at the King Alfred because everyone wants a state of the art sports centre like the Guilford Spectrum built there. Their policy is to build a 25m pool and 450 residential units there and they will never ask for an opinion from the tax payers, so the door is firmly shut in regard to taking any notice of public opinion.

If you want a say then vote Ukip.
One of the main policies of the prospective Ukip councillors is that important local issues will be decided by a local referendum.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Live venues old and new seem to be disappearing left right and center in Brighton

One of the older venues Brighton Hippodrome is being sought for a cinema complex (please note we have four already in Brighton!)

We do lack world class performance venues or possibly an ice rink - this petition could lead way to the public having a voice in this movement.

Please sign this... it takes a few seconds.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/keep-brighton-hippodrome-for-live-performance

A producing theatre of this size in Brighton is totally unsustainable financially, unless there were significant Arts Council support. Which these days is a long shot.

However, as a receiving house (which is what the Theatre Royal is) it might have been a go-er. Profitability could easily have been augmented with live music events (a la The Old Market).

It seems a bit of a wasted opportunity to simply whack eight cinema screens in there - Brighton will then have more than 20 screens in the city... but I suppose if the cinema proposal demonstrated a profitable financial model, that's the major factor these days.

What a shame.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A producing theatre of this size in Brighton is totally unsustainable financially, unless there were significant Arts Council support. Which these days is a long shot.

However, as a receiving house (which is what the Theatre Royal is) it might have been a go-er. Profitability could easily have been augmented with live music events (a la The Old Market).

It seems a bit of a wasted opportunity to simply whack eight cinema screens in there - Brighton will then have more than 20 screens in the city... but I suppose if the cinema proposal demonstrated a profitable financial model, that's the major factor these days.

What a shame.

A pedant writes...

It's only three cinema screens going in what is the current buildings. The other five will be in an as-yet unbuilt extension.

However, a multiplex cinema still seems inappropriate.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
A pedant writes...

It's only three cinema screens going in what is the current buildings. The other five will be in an as-yet unbuilt extension.

Large One corrects Big unit - it's like I'm writing to myself.

Thanks for the correction...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A pedant writes...

What about the 4 restaurants they've incorporated into the plans ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here