Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Brighton got our best young player and we got nothing’ (The Times)

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
It clearly says connected with the club from two, not coached.
The local news ran a piece on him which showed him at a pre-school age kicking a ball around in a warm-up and also in the tunnel with the players.
Basically, the message was that he's a lifelong Basingstoke fan, and also played through the age groups.
View attachment 165997

I wondered where Andy Whing was these days…..

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Anyone else think this was going to be Chelsea moaning about Gilmour?

Edit - that will teach me to read past page 1. :ffsparr:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds like the detail is he wasn't under any contract (due to age?), so we cant offer a fee. i reckon the rule is there for good reasons, to avoid some unintended consequences. however, i cant see why larger clubs couldnt offer a donation to the club, at that level Shirley anything, kit, a van, something is value to them.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
however, i cant see why larger clubs couldnt offer a donation to the club, at that level Shirley anything, kit, a van, something is value to them.
That works until more than one club is interested.

Is Brighton or, say, Chelsea offering the biggest bus/donation?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
That works until more than one club is interested.

Is Brighton or, say, Chelsea offering the biggest bus/donation?
Could be set by tribunal, or even just set a flat fee at the beginning of any season, so no possibility of a bidding war, maybe?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I know literally nothing of young Brody, but Basingstoke play at Step 3 (one below the National League South). If he was genuinely better than the teenagers we already have (Ferguson? Enciso? Bounanotte? Moran?) then he'd have scored FIFTY goals for them last season, rather than failing to make the squad and being loaned out even lower, to Tadley Calleva in the Wessex League.
I think the comparison is with our under 18s. He was 16 so unlikely to be in the first team that much either.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I know literally nothing of young Brody, but Basingstoke play at Step 3 (one below the National League South). If he was genuinely better than the teenagers we already have (Ferguson? Enciso? Bounanotte? Moran?) then he'd have scored FIFTY goals for them last season, rather than failing to make the squad and being loaned out even lower, to Tadley Calleva in the Wessex League.
He's no Ansi Fati ha ha and i I don't know either but to be fair he's only just 17 , made his debut for Basingstoke Town FC aged 16, last January, and has since made 20 league appearances for them, netting eight goals in his time there - an average of one goal every 74 minutes.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Presumably the point is that he is not contracted to Basingstoke so why should they be compensated? How would you determine who to pay if someone has no contract? Every club they have ever been coached by?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Presumably the point is that he is not contracted to Basingstoke so why should they be compensated? How would you determine who to pay if someone has no contract? Every club they have ever been coached by?
That’s the whole point. It is the system that has caused him to not have a contract. A system that benefits very rich PL clubs. Not the Albion’s fault but money does need to be filtering down to grassroots level.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Who cares. It was shit when we were in similar situation and it’s shit because football is full of such financial idiocy. Reflects society. The poor always getting f***ed by the rich. Always have. Always will. Ain’t nothing can do about. Waste of time complaining. Nothing changes.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Maybe the best we can do here is to raise the profile of the rule that is stopping us pay them some money.

It is something when with all the dodgy dealings with holding companies and selling grounds around comanies etc doing the rounds, we can't find away to chuck Basingstole 50 grand for this kid.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If a player transfers (aged under 24) when he is out of contract, a transfer tribunal determines the fee if the clubs can't agree. That, of course, only applies if the player has previously had a contract and has been offered a new one, but it shows how it could be done.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And what were they doing before that with him. I always maintain that if they haven’t shown skill and commitment by the age of 3 ….. get rid.
I should have got the whole ‘selling a dummy’ joke in there, sorry.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It clearly says connected with the club from two, not coached.
The local news ran a piece on him which showed him at a pre-school age kicking a ball around in a warm-up and also in the tunnel with the players.
Basically, the message was that he's a lifelong Basingstoke fan, and also played through the age groups.
View attachment 165997
Still looks older than Buonanotte there.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Who cares. It was shit when we were in similar situation and it’s shit because football is full of such financial idiocy. Reflects society. The poor always getting f***ed by the rich. Always have. Always will. Ain’t nothing can do about. Waste of time complaining. Nothing changes.
It’s rare that I miss a downvote button.

Agree with the middle part of your post, but the first sentence and the last three (maybe even four) are pure rubbish.

BHA is in an excellent position to do something about it. A drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, certainly, but would have meant the world to us “when we were in a similar situation”, and will mean the world to them now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Why didn't he sign a contract with Basingstoke and then we buy him? Wouldn't that have sorted it?
Apologies if answered in the column, I've not read it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here