Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton FA Cup Giant Kills

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
League One under Poyet didn't we go on a bit of a run of beating Championship sides in the Cup? Think it was Portsmouth and Watford at least.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Now that’s a serious contender too, versus the 1930s Chelsea post from Gt49er. Good shout, thank you.

"Even The Athletic News, the voice of football until the emergence of Sunday newspapers in the late 1920s, said of Everton: “No team in the country has served up more delightful football.”

Such faith in Everton was understandable. They had six full internationals in their stating XI; England’s Sam Chedgzoy and Jack Cock, Alec Troup and Neil McBain of Scotland, and Ireland’s Alf Harland and Bobby Irvine. It appeared on paper a total mismatch.

As we all know though, football is not played on paper. Brighton had a pretty handy player of their own, a certain Tommy Cook, and for all the internationals Everton possessed, they could find no way to contain the Albion’s record scorer who bagged a hat-trick in a stunning 5-2 FA Cup triumph.

A record Goldstone crowd of 27,450 turned up to watch Everton’s star-studded line up. They left with the name of Cook firmly on their lips and a year after his heroics against the Toffees, he would become the first Brighton player to earn an England cap – an extraordinary achievement for someone playing third tier football at the time."

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"
Even The Athletic News, the voice of football until the emergence of Sunday newspapers in the late 1920s, said of Everton: “No team in the country has served up more delightful football.”

Such faith in Everton was understandable. They had six full internationals in their stating XI; England’s Sam Chedgzoy and Jack Cock, Alec Troup and Neil McBain of Scotland, and Ireland’s Alf Harland and Bobby Irvine. It appeared on paper a total mismatch.

As we all know though, football is not played on paper. Brighton had a pretty handy player of their own, a certain Tommy Cook, and for all the internationals Everton possessed, they could find no way to contain the Albion’s record scorer who bagged a hat-trick in a stunning 5-2 FA Cup triumph.

A record Goldstone crowd of 27,450 turned up to watch Everton’s star-studded line up. They left with the name of Cook firmly on their lips and a year after his heroics against the Toffees, he would become the first Brighton player to earn an England cap – an extraordinary achievement for someone playing third tier football at the time."

Excellent, think this edges 1984 v L’pool by sounds of. Thank you.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know this, but am not counting for reason stated or wouldn’t be asking the question.

It’s probably from some time before the 70s, hence interested to learn. Or a more recent time which have just forgotten. We’ve had lots of glorious draws and replay defeats but can’t remember a “giant kill” in this context.
I know it's your thread and your rules, but that win over Liverpool was IMO very much a giant-killing. The fact we were in the same division is incidental, no one gave us a chance.

Apart from that the win over Liverpool in '84 and the two over Newcastle at the Amex are all I can remember. As has been pointed out we are usually on the receiving end of the shock results. We've got a better record in the League Cup (Ipswich, WBA, Man City).

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
The FA cup semi final in 83 must count after all the opposition are "massive"

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
League One under Poyet didn't we go on a bit of a run of beating Championship sides in the Cup? Think it was Portsmouth and Watford at least.
yes despite Gus being quite apathetic about the cup we got to the 5th round that season, beating Woking and FC United (needing replays) and then Watford and Portsmouth who were both in the championship. Then lost to Premier League Stoke in the 5th round.

Watford and Portsmouth finished 14th and 16th in the Championship that season

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
We beat Man City after they were first taken over by the money state, and had signed their first mega signing, I believe that resulted in an iconic pitch invasion.
we did, but in the League Cup

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm quite surprised that there appears to be a lack of knowledge of our FA Cup giant-killing history on here (especially given how old everyone apparently is!). As per this page from the Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians Society newsletter no. 28 in Autumn 2006 [now known as the Brighton and Hove Albion Heritage Society] Albion were renowned giant-killers back in our Southern League/Third Division South days, beating First Division sides on TEN occasions between 1908 and 1933:-

Giantkillers.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We did the double in the league cup over Premier League Leicester back in 94 when we were in league 2.
that was a giant killing and one I enjoyed at Filbert Street.

Typical Albion though, Kingstonian knocked us out in the first round of the FA Cup that season.
With an FLT result going against them, Albion went out of three cups in five days during November 1994.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
TBH, the Liverpool team at that moment in time were so imperious, that the 1983 win at Anfield absolutely DOES count as a giant-killing, even though we were (just about still) a top division team ourselves.

It was Liverpool's first cup defeat at home (in ANY cup) in NINE YEARS!
The previous one being Birmingham beating them 3-2. One of those bizarre facts I oddly remember!!!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The Everton win in 1924 is probably the biggest giant killing we've pulled off. They had been top flight the entire history of league football, had already won the title twice and been runners up 6 times. They'd also won the FA Cup and been runners up a couple of times too.

Chelsea were a bit of a yo-yo team back in the 1930s so the result nowhere near matches up to the win against Everton, their highest finish in the top flight had been 3rd (the first season football restarted after WW1 , they actually finished the final season before the war in the relegation spots but were invited to re-join the first division after the war as they expanded the division from 20 to 22 teams) and they'd been FA Cup runners up once in the final season before football stopped for the war.

The win over Chelsea did come in the season we didn't apply for exemption from the qualifying rounds and had to play through the entire qualification process to get to the 1st round proper.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The previous one being Birmingham beating them 3-2. One of those bizarre facts I oddly remember!!!
And I think the next cup defeat at Anfield was by Everton in 1991. I seem to recall that in 100 Cup games at Anfield, Liverpool lost twice - us and Everton.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And I think the next cup defeat at Anfield was by Everton in 1991. I seem to recall that in 100 Cup games at Anfield, Liverpool lost twice - us and Everton.
Strangely enough though, I think I'm right in saying we were the last team to have won at Anfield (in any competition) as we'd beaten them there in the league the previous season.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We spanked Luton 4-1 when they were in the top division and we were in Div 2 , can’t remember the year but it was late 80’s or early 90’s
Remember it well. Rather lively in the City beforehand!

Edit: It was season 89/90 btw.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know it's your thread and your rules, but that win over Liverpool was IMO very much a giant-killing. The fact we were in the same division is incidental, no one gave us a chance.

Apart from that the win over Liverpool in '84 and the two over Newcastle at the Amex are all I can remember. As has been pointed out we are usually on the receiving end of the shock results. We've got a better record in the League Cup (Ipswich, WBA, Man City).
I don't disagree but really, I wanted to see if we've ever really done something even greater than the obvious. And it sounds like Tommy Cooke and co in the 30's v Everton was just such a victory. Because even in 1984 when we beat L'pool again at the Goldstone, we'd been to the final the season before and so probably not as much of a shock as the rose-tints now remember stunning victory as it was. Whereas a southern league outfit 2 tiers below beating the the 1930s sounds an EVEN greater FA Cup giant-kill. Arguably our finest, for that reason. Gets my vote anyway, and what I wanted to find out / reason for posting.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We beat Man City after they were first taken over by the money state, and had signed their first mega signing, I believe that resulted in an iconic pitch invasion.
Not the FA Cup (read question...stupid boy! punish:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here