Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton FA Cup Giant Kills

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In the FA Cup (only), what’s our biggest ‘giant kill’?

I’m not including Liverpool last season or 83 because, well, we were in the same top flight division as them fantastic results as they were.

But when did we perhaps beat someone in the PL or Championship when we were a division or two lower than our opponents?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sadly, WE were the giant killed (“giant” used very loosely considering our level at the time) most of the time.

Kingstonian, Sudbury Town, Walton & Hersham, Mansfield, Lincoln… narrowly avoided against Canvey Island (“if my granny had balls”)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
can only think of our two wins over Newcastle when we were in the Championship, especially the first one as they finished 5th in the Premier League that season

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We beat Chelsea in the cup in the 1930s (no, I wasn't there.....). I don't know what division Chelsea were in in 1933, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't division 3(S)!

I vaguely remember a good run in the League Cup in the 60s, beating teams in a higher division than us (Birmingham City and Coventry?) before losing out to another higher club. Derby County, I think - after a replay?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In the FA Cup (only), what’s our biggest ‘giant kill’?

I’m not including Liverpool last season or 83 because, well, we were in the same top flight division as them fantastic results as they were.

But when did we perhaps beat someone in the PL or Championship when we were a division or two lower than our opponents?
TBH, the Liverpool team at that moment in time were so imperious, that the 1983 win at Anfield absolutely DOES count as a giant-killing, even though we were (just about still) a top division team ourselves.

It was Liverpool's first cup defeat at home (in ANY cup) in NINE YEARS!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
TBH, the Liverpool team at that moment in time were so imperious, that the 1983 win at Anfield absolutely DOES count as a giant-killing, even though we were (just about still) a top division team ourselves.

It was Liverpool's first cup defeat at home (in ANY cup) in NINE YEARS!
I know this, but am not counting for reason stated or wouldn’t be asking the question.

It’s probably from some time before the 70s, hence interested to learn. Or a more recent time which have just forgotten. We’ve had lots of glorious draws and replay defeats but can’t remember a “giant kill” in this context.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
We spanked Luton 4-1 when they were in the top division and we were in Div 2 , can’t remember the year but it was late 80’s or early 90’s

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Liverpool in 84.
We beat Newcastle when they were PL and we were Championship in 2012
Good call. Yes, a contender then

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We spanked Luton 4-1 when they were in the top division and we were in Div 2 , can’t remember the year but it was late 80’s or early 90’s
Vaguely remember that now, possibly year they got relegated (91?) too?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We beat Chelsea in the cup in the 1930s (no, I wasn't there.....). I don't know what division Chelsea were in in 1933, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't division 3(S)!
That would definitely fit the giant kill description, a real minnow versus. I think we have a winner! Thank you, unless anyone can top that?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That was the one I was going to mention - often forgotten about.

Also the League Cup run of 1976-77, when we beat Ipswich and WBA (both a division above) and took Derby to a replay.

The Liverpool 2-0 in 84 was more of a giant-killing than 83, as we were second tier while Liverpool were the City of their day. They actually won every other competition they entered that season - European Cup, League Championship and League Cup. We prevented them doing the 'quadruple'.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We knocked out First Division Everton in the 2nd round in 1924 as a Division 3 South team, winning 5-2.
Now that’s a serious contender too, versus the 1930s Chelsea post from Gt49er. Good shout, thank you.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We did the double in the league cup over Premier League Leicester back in 94 when we were in league 2.
that was a giant killing and one I enjoyed at Filbert Street.

Typical Albion though, Kingstonian knocked us out in the first round of the FA Cup that season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
can only think of our two wins over Newcastle when we were in the Championship, especially the first one as they finished 5th in the Premier League that season
My poor Newcastle supporting brother-in-law, in with me and the Brighton fans for both games.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That was the one I was going to mention - often forgotten about.

Also the League Cup run of 1976-77, when we beat Ipswich and WBA (both a division above) and took Derby to a replay.

The Liverpool 2-0 in 84 was more of a giant-killing than 83, as we were second tier while Liverpool were the City of their day. They actually won every other competition they entered that season - European Cup, League Championship and League Cup. We prevented them doing the 'quadruple'.
Hidding in plain sight!! Yes, of course, 1984 doh!!!! That definitely was a major giant kill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here