Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton City FC

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Credit to [MENTION=3418]Monkey Man[/MENTION] for this one. Top future telling in this thread:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?276857-whitehawk&highlight=whitehawk

When Langney Sports got to this point in their development, they changed their name to Eastbourne Borough - controversial with some people but it was a sensible move, as it made the club more saleable to sponsors and corporate supporters, and made the club seem more representative of the town as a whole.

Maybe if Whitehawk changed to East Brighton or something similar they would get the same benefits. It doesn't seem they have masses of fans who'd take exception.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
very good marketing, as Whitehawk FC it doesn't call out to anyone outside of Whitehawk its just a small community club but calling themselves Brighton City would attract a wider fan base

How do they get a fan base though? All the big cities with 2 or more clubs have had a hundred or more years of tradition and people have grown up supporting one or the other. I just don't see how they develop a fan base. You'd almost have to be a disenchanted B&HA fan and even that doesn't seem possible. Good luck to them though it will be interesting to see how it unfolds

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Did nobody tell them that Brighton (without Hove) is not a city?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
How do they get a fan base though? All the big cities with 2 or more clubs have had a hundred or more years of tradition and people have grown up supporting one or the other. I just don't see how they develop a fan base. You'd almost have to be a disenchanted B&HA fan and even that doesn't seem possible. Good luck to them though it will be interesting to see how it unfolds

I'm not talking about a massive fan base emerging in the thousands but would attract a few hundred more, I know people who watch Crawley because they're a team in Sussex they don't support them but just like to watch a game of football if the Albion are playing away, by calling Whitehawk BRIGHTON FC it would attract more people to watch especially if they keep climbing up the leagues it wouldn't get to a stage where Albion fans would stop watching the Albion to watch Brighton City,

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Brighton isn't a city in its own right. That's like calling Reading "Reading City" or Swindon "Swindon City".

Sounds crap anyway, we all know that there's only one team in Brighton.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not talking about a massive fan base emerging in the thousands but would attract a few hundred more, I know people who watch Crawley because they're a team in Sussex they don't support them but just like to watch a game of football if the Albion are playing away, by calling Whitehawk BRIGHTON FC it would attract more people to watch especially if they keep climbing up the leagues it wouldn't get to a stage where Albion fans would stop watching the Albion to watch Brighton City,

Well good luck to them but I think they'll find it uber tough to attract any support other than those (as you say) that might want to watch a game when Albion are away. Maybe they can put some of the dough into a ground share with Lewes and then morph the two teams into one over time, that might work?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps they could build a new ground on the other side of Falmer pond.

That would please the locals :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't think you need to be disenchanted, but most non-league clubs at this level rely on fans of surrounding bigger clubs to come along when their side is away, or haven't got a game etc. For example, Havant&Waterlooville in the BSS a couple of seasons ago struck a deal with Portsmouth whereby Portsmouth Season tickets holders could go along to Havant games for 50% entry, I think it was £6 a game, and to be fair they've built up their regular fans to an average attendance of the top 2 or 3 teams in that league.

Perhaps with a new name, a decent level of football (the conference south does get a lot of coverage), and greater awareness of the quality that will be on over there, then they will slowly get people going along to have a look. I certainly will be next season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well good luck to them but I think they'll find it uber tough to attract any support other than those (as you say) that might want to watch a game when Albion are away. Maybe they can put some of the dough into a ground share with Lewes and then morph the two teams into one over time, that might work?

Brighton & Lewes FC v Havant & Waterlooville FC - now that is going to be one long half and half scarf! :lolol:

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

If they make the football league and we have astronomical season prices whilst facing relegation from the prem then they would soon develop a fanbase.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Weren't they looking at moving their ground to the Withdean not too long ago?

Yes temporary whilst the enclosed ground was having works done to it but think I read that the potential costs in relation to FA fines should a game not go ahead (which they may not always have been able to control as they would have been renting) at withdean meant the risk was too great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here