Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton "OFFICIAL" match thread.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matthew Le God

Nov 15, 2009
My guess at the Southampton line up...(possibly Thomas for Trotman and Papa Waigo for Antonio)

Code:
                Davis

James     Trotman      Jaidi      Harding

Antonio   Schneiderlin  Hammond  Lallana

Lambert    Connolly

Subs:

Bialkowski
Perry
Thomas
Mellis
Mills
Papa Waigo
Wotton

Matthew Le God

Nov 15, 2009
:lolol:papa waigo what kind name is that

Well they might say the same about your name in Senegal! Where names like that are common.

He is on loan from Fiorentina with view to buy in the Summer.

A 25 year old Senegalese international with 15 caps that has 2 league goals against Gianluigi Buffon and Juventus. Not many League One players can say that :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well they might say the same about your name in Senegal! Where names like that are common.

He is on loan from Fiorentina with view to buy in the Summer.

A 25 year old Senegalese international with 15 caps that has 2 league goals against Gianluigi Buffon and Juventus. Not many League One players can say that :)

Im not saying he is shit or owt, just its a name you expect in a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Not on Scummers subs bench :p

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who are the officials?

Sunday, 15 November 2009

Coca-Cola Football League 1

Southampton v Brighton & Hove Albion ( 4:30 )
K FRIEND
R Ganfield and R Lewis
Fourth Official D Deadman

Albion matches:

* Brighton and Hove Albion
* 1-4
* Derby County
and other matches as well, inlcuding a 0-1 home deafeat when Forster scored for the visitors.

Kevin Friend

Kevin is another referee who started refereeing at age thirteen within his home county of Leicestershire. His route to the National List was via the Leicester Senior League and Midland Football Alliance before being promoted to the National list in 2000.After three more seasons he reached the National List of Referees. In addition to being appointed as 4th Official at an U-21 International, he has also been appointed to the FA Vase Final and FL Trophy Final.

How did you get introduced into refereeing?

I ran the line to my dad locally at the age of 14 and really enjoyed it so i decided top take the referee's course.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Becoming a National List Referee and officiating at Wembley and the Millennium Stadium.

What is the best game you have officiated and why?

The FA Vase Final as it was at Wembley Stadium.

What are your aims as a National List Referee?

To be promoted to the Select Group Referee's List.

What skills do you think you need to become a referee?

Knowledge of the laws of the game and very good man management skills

Who has been the biggest influence in your career and why?

My dad, as being a Referee himself he has helped me in my career so far, through the highs and lows.

In your opinion who is/was the best referee?

Definitely Jack Taylor for what he has achieved as a Referee from this country

-------------------------------

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Papa Lazarou you mean :D

Papa just means father in Senegal I think so is used alot in names.

Papa Bouba Diop at Portsmouth
Pape Diakhaté
Papa Gueye

Papa Demdowndere at the Post Office..know him well

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Long term, what would be the best result?

A Win
+... Could give us the confidence and belief in what Gus has been trying to preach in the early days of training, and if the players see what he wants them to do works, they will be more inclined to go along with it, and give their all
-... Over confidence, too much relevance put on a on off victory. After each of MA's wins last year we spent the week talking about how we'll push on. A win today could make everyone think we're great now, and efforts drop, people (players, fans and our management team) underestimate the work needed and the next game goes the way of so many have, the we're out the FA cup, followed by leeds and early on the players lose faith in Gus and what he's going for.

A Loss (largely the opposites)
+... Evryone involved realises it takes more than simply changing the manager. Everyone has to perform, the players have to look at themselves, Gus gets an idea of the scale of his task. Fans realise it's going to take a bit of patience as Gus gets the team playing his way (yep, all those fed up with the gelling excuse are going to face this one for a while)
-... Players may see a loss as a damning indictment of Gus's footballing attitude/tactics and not give their all to give Gus what he wants. The players see that changing manager doesn't change their fortunes, and lose confidence in themselves.

A Draw
+... it's not a win or loss so the above don't count. It delays judgement, Allowing Gus more than half a week to stamp his style on the team, giving the FA Cup game a chance t be the decider, with a win over a wycombe team being given less importance than one over southampton.
-... Draws are unsatisfying. I know, that's not long term, but I needed a minus for balance.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Not many on here can say "Brighton", let alone Gianluigi or Senegalese.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Im off down Camden now, quick pint eles head then off to quinns to watch us stomp all over saints (i wish) and then back to eles head to cry (i hope not)

Enjoy the game fellow fans :clap2:

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
Papa Lazarou you mean :D

Papa just means father in Senegal I think so is used alot in names.

Papa Bouba Diop at Portsmouth
Pape Diakhaté
Papa Gueye

Or a Senegalese with a stutter, trying to sing, -Papa pass the duche from da left han' side...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bollocks , Mr Friend is the ref. That name is ringing alarm bells.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If it wasn't for the Gus Poyet factor I would be very confident this would have been a comfortable win. I'd still however be disappointed with anything less than a win with the likes of Papa Waigo, Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and David Conolly against a frail defense. ;) :)

Adam Lallana , didn't he used to be Dwayne's boyfriend ? :lolol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
player has just uttered something about a telephone call........PLEASE don't tell me we are going to have trouble with it today of all days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports