Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton And Hove Albion V Brentford FC ***OFFICIAL Match Thread***

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Oh yes, you would KNOW you were supporting a flid, but you can't help who you support. It wouldn't exactly be that different to supporting the albion when you think about it. We have effectively been without a limb for the last few years.

Blind date tennis would be quite special though. Imagine your reaction when an arm-less player walks out from behind the screen.

i think its different - with football, rugby, cricket, infact any team games you support the team through thick and thin. id find it hard to support an invidual if they just decided one day "you know what, ive had enough of this arm, f*** it, its going" and took it off with a chainsaw

i certainly wouldnt support them from the start - and thats not because im a disablist. the reason we support a wank football team is because of our parents our an affinity to the area - with a one armed tennis player, you would literally be picking him because you think he is good and want to share in his success. which would make you certifiably MENTAL

there would be far worse scenarios than the one armed man in blind date tennis - what if someone in an electronic wheelchair came out, with the battery life indicator in the red zone, meaning they would last one set before losing ALL mobility on court?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
But why do people support Murray? And why did they support Tiger Tim? Because they're British. So if Britain produced a genuine flid as one of its top players - surely not impossible bearing in mind the quality of our current bunch - there would be plenty of people ready to support him.

Also, I must pull you up on this, how likely do you think it is that a disabled tennis player in a wheelchair lacking at least one limb would FORGET to charge his vehicle up enough to last the duration of a match? I'd like to think, despite other shortcomings, the one thing he would ensure was in place was a full battery.

thats all about tennis fanatics though. joe public supported them because they had an element of success - when it was a toss up between henman and rusedski, more people supported henman because he was successful. its henman hill after all, not rusedskis rape spot. therefore, if a flid was britains best tennis player, i still dont think he would gain the support of the casual fan as he just wouldnt be very good

im not fully up to speed with the battery life of the modern day electronic wheelchair, but would it last for an entire match? you have a fair point with regards to having a full charge at the start of the match, but if it went on for as long as possible, would it be able to last the distance? he would surely not be allowed to recharge during the breaks as that would be akin to an able bodied man gaining a f*** load more energy - and obvious advantage over a tiring opponent

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
didn't play paticularily well, however can't argue with 3-0. Brentford were really poor and didn't have much of a clue.

Personally, and I know its a picky point, BUT I am not happy that the centre backs only escape is to bang it as high as possible up to the forwards....a few weeks ago we were playing the ball out via Painter and Caledron.....apart from that, great set of results this year

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the ww wont be on here tonight

when I saw him at half time, he was very well lubricated with copious falling down water.......as he should do on his birthday!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
But even some of the wannabe flids who actually have all their arms and legs in place in the early rounds at Wimbledon get support purely because they're British. I reckon our wheelchair-bound CHAMP would capture the hearts of the nation before a ball was limply bounced into the bottom of the net. As such, with momentum building, many people would join the "Go Flid" movement without researching the facts, only to then feel utterly disappointed when they switched on BBC1 for the first time only to see our man having armless fun against Roger or Rafa.

As for the battery issue, I reckon they would have to allow him to recharge. What if he came to a sudden stop DURING a point? It would be the wheelchair tennis world's answer to Marc Vivien Foe.

i know you like your tennis, but frankly, i and i suspect most casual tennis fans like myself couldnt give a f*** what happens unless a brit is either a) good and 2) in the latter stages. the only british tennis players i can name are andy murray and laura robson, and that is only because she is fit. i couldnt name you ANY other player even if they had played at wimbledon. and sure, a player with one arm might somehow fluke a win in the opening match, but he is not going to get far enough to spike interest from non-tennis fanatics

surely recharging though would give a massive advantage? if a game has gone on for as long as it can and with tiredness and fatigue setting in, a man in a fully charged electronic wheelchair is going to be zipping out just as easily as he was at the start, whereas a man using his legs is going to be fatigued and as such the ground he can cover and speed of doing so is going to be massively deminished

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I think the MOMENTUM would be enough. Our man would wheel through the rounds on the wave of support and positivity engulfing the country. However, I still believe someone entering the tennis arena for the first time would be left lacking in confidence before seeing him play.

Also, I have made a rather startling discovery, and it appears there is a LOT more to flid tennis than you or I have realised. They have to wheel AND hit!

View attachment 14863

hang on, are we talking about a WHEELCHAIR entrant or a one-armed entrant here as the british representative?

of course they have to bloody wheel and hit it - how else would they do it? if they were just sat still, you could just plump the ball either side of them to win the point, making it an easy match and a convincing win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here