Brighton and Hove Albion consider bid for Preston North End striker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But me, like many, many others on here, said it was a massive mistake AT THE TIME WE LET HIM GO. So, no hindsight here.
Indeed. I was one of those myself.

Anyway, looking on the bright side, if Burke and Hyppia had been here at the time, we'd have kept Murray for that first season because he was the cheap option. Then after finishing about 18th, we'd have paid up his contract and THEN watch him score goals for fun at Palace without them even having to stomach that first shithouse season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for scouting, that isn't my job....TBH I would not be impressed if we went after Garner.

of course but You have a strong view about who shouldn't be targets for the Albion and obviously not keen on Garner.

Given that many Champ clubs will be in for L1 strikers this season then keen to know who you do rate ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bit of luck we missed out on Callum Wilson and Troy Deeney.

LoL! That's the point: we CONSISTENTLY get it wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't you mean Prem striker? You could see Muzza was going to make it in the Championship at the time Gus made his biggest (footballing) mistake. CMS had already played in the Championship to little effect, so had Baldock. Surprised you can't see the difference TBH.
Let's have a look at their first seasons in the Championship:

CMS scored 10 goals in 43 appearances.
Sam Baldock scored 5 goals in his first 6 appearances, and then got injured. He was later used as a sub and finished with 5 goals in 21 appearances
Glenn Murray scored 6 goals in 37 appearances.

So I don't agree that you could see Muzza was going to make it in the Championship while the others weren't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. I was one of those myself.

Anyway, looking on the bright side, if Burke and Hyppia had been here at the time, we'd have kept Murray for that first season because he was the cheap option. Then after finishing about 18th, we'd have paid up his contract and THEN watch him score goals for fun at Palace without them even having to stomach that first shithouse season.

Not sure that's looking on the bright side!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
People do realise this site prints a load of shit.

It was the same as last year, it is ran by some kid doing a uni degree who wants to be a sports journo.

Everything that is posted is just a good stab in the dark.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
of course but You have a strong view about who shouldn't be targets for the Albion and obviously not keen on Garner.

Given that many Champ clubs will be in for L1 strikers this season then keen to know who you do rate ?

If it was up to me, I would plump for an experienced / successful Championship striker like Rhodes, but I'm sure we can't afford that, so it's back to the continent to unearth Ulloa Mark II. Sorry, no names. I certainly would NOT go for a striker who has already tried and failed at our level (like Garner).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's have a look at their first seasons in the Championship:

CMS scored 10 goals in 43 appearances.
Sam Baldock scored 5 goals in his first 6 appearances, and then got injured. He was later used as a sub and finished with 5 goals in 21 appearances
Glenn Murray scored 6 goals in 37 appearances.

So I don't agree that you could see Muzza was going to make it in the Championship while the others weren't.

I've already answered this. I, and many others on here, COULD SEE IT. Sorry.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If it was up to me, I would plump for an experienced / successful Championship striker like Rhodes, but I'm sure we can't afford that, so it's back to the continent to unearth Ulloa Mark II. Sorry, no names. I certainly would NOT go for a striker who has already tried and failed at our level (like Garner).

So when Glenn Murray was offered back to Albion in a swap deal at the beginning of 2012/13 in exchange for Hoskins* (scuppered by Gary Dicker breaking his leg in training) then you wouldn't have taken him ? (as he'd presumably tried and failed at Championship level by scoring only 7 goals in 2011/12. ?

*according to El Prez that is

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've already answered this. I, and many others on here, COULD SEE IT. Sorry.
No you haven't. I wanted to keep Murray too, but I was delighted we bought CMS, as were you I believe. Show me where you said that Murray would be better in the Championship than CMS, and I'll take it back.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So when Glenn Murray was offered back to Albion in a swap deal at the beginning of 2012/13 in exchange for Hoskins* (scuppered by Gary Dicker breaking his leg in training) then you wouldn't have taken him ? (as he'd presumably tried and failed at Championship level by scoring only 7 goals in 2011/12. ?

*according to El Prez that is

No, I would have jumped at it. Especially since Hoskins was and is a consistent sick note and, for the umpteenth time, I could see Muzza was going to make it!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No you haven't. I wanted to keep Murray too, but I was delighted we bought CMS, as were you I believe. Show me where you said that Murray would be better in the Championship than CMS, and I'll take it back.

I see them as completely different strikers. Would have loved to have seen a Muzza / CMS partnership TBH.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
But me, like many, many others on here, said it was a massive mistake AT THE TIME WE LET HIM GO. So, no hindsight here.

Be honest, at the end of the League 1 season when Murray scored 22 and CMS scored 35, who would you of preferred?

Same applies for the end of the following season when CMS yet again out scored Murray. I don't recall anyone stating we had mad a mistake at those points.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see them as completely different strikers. Would have loved to have seen a Muzza / CMS partnership TBH.
Of course they're different, and yes we'd all have loved to see them together. I think most of us were pretty disappointed to see Murray go, but I genuinely thought CMS was better.

But what I'm disagreeing with is that Acker said "I find it weird how quick people are to dismiss league one strikers, yet still think our biggest transfer mistake of recent times was not (re-)signing then league one striker Glen Murray." and you manage to disagree with him, saying that you could tell Muzza was going to make it, more than CMS or some of the other decent League 1 strikers. I don't accept your re-writing of history.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Be honest, at the end of the League 1 season when Murray scored 22 and CMS scored 35, who would you of preferred?

Same applies for the end of the following season when CMS yet again out scored Murray. I don't recall anyone stating we had mad a mistake at those points.

Honestly, I preferred BOTH as a partnership.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course they're different, and yes we'd all have loved to see them together. I think most of us were pretty disappointed to see Murray go, but I genuinely thought CMS was better.

But what I'm disagreeing with is that Acker said "I find it weird how quick people are to dismiss league one strikers, yet still think our biggest transfer mistake of recent times was not (re-)signing then league one striker Glen Murray." and you manage to disagree with him, saying that you could tell Muzza was going to make it, more than CMS or some of the other decent League 1 strikers. I don't accept your re-writing of history.

OK, my point is that I DID say we should retain Muzza at the time we let him go. The reason I thought we should retain him is precisely because I thought he would make it at Championship level.

CMS - had a reasonable season in the Championship with a struggling Posh. OK, excited about his signing after his goal exploits in L1.
Baldock - not done well in Championship before he joined us. Not so excited.
Garner - see Baldock.

So, my logic holds, and I don't need to re-write history.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With the modern trend of managers, (at our level anyway), only wanting to play with ONE striker, hindsight dictates that Murray would have been by far the better option.

All of CMS's goals at Peterborough came when playing as part of a two pronged attack, Aaron McLean would win the ball and provide the knock downs, Craig would finish them off. He isn't a target man, he is a poacher.

To my mind Glenn Murray is a better all round footballer. He has proved he can score goals in all four divisions of the Football League. Others no doubt will disagree.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well seeing as at some point it's inevitable that we'll sign a league 1 striker, let's just hope the next one isn't another 'dud'.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
With the modern trend of managers, (at our level anyway), only wanting to play with ONE striker, hindsight dictates that Murray would have been by far the better option.

All of CMS's goals at Peterborough came when playing as part of a two pronged attack, Aaron McLean would win the ball and provide the knock downs, Craig would finish them off. He isn't a target man, he is a poacher.

To my mind Glenn Murray is a better all round footballer. He has proved he can score goals in all four divisions of the Football League. Others no doubt will disagree.

Agreed. However, I would say that 2 up top seems to work for many of the successful sides in our league. I think we need a re-think TBH.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Come on. We had watched Muzza's class act the season before. As for scouting, that isn't my job. Didn't seem to be Burke's forte either, although it was his job. Here's hoping the new Recruitment team actually know what they are doing. TBH I would not be impressed if we went after Garner.

Can anyone tell me where it says we are after Garner? It is on some random blog by some random unknown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports