Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion consider bid for Preston North End striker

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. We should be more concerned if they're really expensive. Look at Ross McCormack at Fulham this season!

Money doesn't always tell the true picture in football.

Look at Sam Baldock. Look at CMS. We can all come up with examples...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Baldock hasn't been here long enough to be judged yet, and our form dropped dramatically after his injury. Probably not a coincidence.

Played out of position (like CMS). Played a lot of games. Very few, but admittedly some, flashes of brilliance. So far, the signs aren't great IMHO. And, remember, he has been in the Championship before, and done very little.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else find it ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING that there's 17 pages and 15,000 views about the prospect of the Albion signing a PNE striker? Sake! :rolleyes:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anybody else find it ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING that there's 17 pages and 15,000 views about the prospect of the Albion signing a PNE striker? Sake! :rolleyes:

No, but I find it weird how quick people are to dismiss league one strikers, yet still think our biggest transfer mistake of recent times was not (re-)signing then league one striker Glen Murray.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nope. It's just a rumour based on not very much at the moment and some Lge 1 strikers are very good. Ashley Barnes was one such prospect a few years ago, even if Mr Burns said he wasn't nearly good enough for League 1. I wonder what happened to him? Mr Burns, that is.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Played out of position (like CMS). Played a lot of games. Very few, but admittedly some, flashes of brilliance. So far, the signs aren't great IMHO. And, remember, he has been in the Championship before, and done very little.

He's only 26 so in that respect he has done quite a lot. We have had difficult circumstances this season and it is not as though he walked into a settled team. I would always fancy his chances on a one on one with a goalkeeper, and I can't say that we have had a player who I have had confidence in, in that scenario during the Amex era.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nothing wrong with signing quality league 1 strikers as long as they are played in the right position and get the service,sadly our creativity and obsession with playing strikers on the wing is a big issue that needs addressing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ashley Barnes wasn't a lone striker. But when Ulloa was out injured he was used as such. He was able to grow in that role and improve, and on course to becoming a decent enough lone striker. Most of his goals came when he had grown familiar with the role, his better performances in that role were all the later games.

Being played out of position isn't a bad thing IF the player is willing to put in the effort to learn and grow and develop, and he is given time to do so.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I want us to sign Beckford but not much hope now as he has scored in both . As the experts on here say he is past it at 31:D

CH doesn't really rate Beckford that highly I don't think. He had the option to buy him for Newcastle from Leeds and didn't and that was when he was scoring a lot more goals than he is now and was a bit younger

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, but I find it weird how quick people are to dismiss league one strikers, yet still think our biggest transfer mistake of recent times was not (re-)signing then league one striker Glen Murray.

Don't you mean Prem striker? You could see Muzza was going to make it in the Championship at the time Gus made his biggest (footballing) mistake. CMS had already played in the Championship to little effect, so had Baldock. Surprised you can't see the difference TBH.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't you mean Prem striker? You could see Muzza was going to make it in the Championship at the time Gus made his biggest (footballing) mistake. CMS had already played in the Championship to little effect, so had Baldock. Surprised you can't see the difference TBH.

I worry about signing league 1 strikers, unless the fee is trivial.

I especially worry about signing league 1 strikers who have previously been very 'average' in the Championship - see CMS, Baldock, and.... Garner.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ashley Barnes wasn't a lone striker. But when Ulloa was out injured he was used as such. He was able to grow in that role and improve, and on course to becoming a decent enough lone striker. Most of his goals came when he had grown familiar with the role, his better performances in that role were all the later games.

Being played out of position isn't a bad thing IF the player is willing to put in the effort to learn and grow and develop, and he is given time to do so.

And is capable of doing so...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I worry about signing league 1 strikers, unless the fee is trivial.

I especially worry about signing league 1 strikers who have previously been very 'average' in the Championship - see CMS, Baldock, and.... Garner.

Exactly, but the NSC mafia just don't seem to get that...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

So L1 strikers are valid targets then for the Albion if you could see "they could make it in the championship". Any in this category you could recommend B.W ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

No. I mean THEN league 1 striker, as he was, when we let him go.

The following year Murray became a striker who had played in the Championship to little effect when he only managed 6 goals - fewer than CMS (9) and Barnes (11) - and no one on here missed him.

It was only the following year, after gaining the experience of playing in the championship for a year, and playing in a team that he fit well in, that he showed he could do it a higher level than league one.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So L1 strikers are valid targets then for the Albion if you could see "they could make it in the championship". Any in this category you could recommend B.W ?

Come on. We had watched Muzza's class act the season before. As for scouting, that isn't my job. Didn't seem to be Burke's forte either, although it was his job. Here's hoping the new Recruitment team actually know what they are doing. TBH I would not be impressed if we went after Garner.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. I mean THEN league 1 striker, as he was, when we let him go.

The following year Murray became a striker who had played in the Championship to little effect when he only managed 6 goals - fewer than CMS (9) and Barnes (11) - and no one on here missed him.

It was only the following year, after gaining the experience of playing in the championship for a year, and playing in a team that he fit well in, that he showed he could do it a higher level than league one.

But me, like many, many others on here, said it was a massive mistake AT THE TIME WE LET HIM GO. So, no hindsight here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here