Brighton after Ipswich pair

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
ALBION are trying to boost their squad with two players from Championship club Ipswich.

They want to sign Republic of Ireland midfielder George O'Callaghan and left-sided utility player Matt Richards before the transfer window shuts on Friday.

The Seagulls face competition from Sheffield Wednesday for O'Callaghan.

advertisement
Ipswich chief Jim Magilton is also prepared to let Richards go but he has two years remaining on his contract at Portman Road and is understood to be reluctant to leave. O'Callaghan, 28 next week, started his career at Port Vale. He scored four goals in 41 appearances over four seasons with the Potteries club before moving to his home town team Cork.

Ipswich signed him on New Year's Day and he has played in 12 Championship games for them, eight as a substitute. O'Callaghan featured in a 1-1 draw at Plymouth nine days ago but was not involved in the squad for yesterday's 1-0 home win against Crystal Palace.

Richards, a product of the Ipswich youth system, has lost out to former Albion defender Dan Harding for the left-back position.

The 22-year-olf from Harlow, a former England under-21 international, can also play in midfield.

He has notched nine goals in 167 appearances for Town since signing pro forms in August 2002 but has not figured in Magilton's plans since March.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We won't get them:glare:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Think Wilkins has had enough of Mayo and his basic defending errors.I'm a bit suprised Bowditch is not one of them.Hope he can pull this coup off.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
At least we are still trying. Still, I expect the miserable doom and gloom merchants on here will see this as a negative too.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
At least we are still trying. Still, I expect the miserable doom and gloom merchants on here will see this as a negative too.

But it didn't take you long though to turn against Wilkins Doug :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He still deserves more time, but if we lose the next two then something will have to be done.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
He still deserves more time, but if we lose the next two then something will have to be done.

I agree he deserves a bit more time.The trouble is he doesn't install confidence in fans.It seems every match we play no one is expecting to win no more so when we do it's a real bonus.I believe he missed a great chance to have a clearout in the summer.That could be his downfall

Oct 25, 2003
we can rule out o'callaghan if we're competing with sheff wed

richards is a decent player isn't he? similar to bowditch, big things were expected of him but just kinda lost his way

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you take each game in isolation, we weren't really expected to beat Crewe or Tranmere away. But we were expected to win at home to the Cobblers. So we haven't done too badly really. And we kept Cardiff at bay for nearly two hours, also away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Hope we get them but it doesn't sound hopeful one doesn't want to leave and the other is being chased by a much bigger club than us in a division higher. Was Naylor fed this info so that when it doesn't happen we can get the "we tried but the current plight of the club works against us" line

Negative enough for you Doug ? :lolol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If you take each game in isolation, we weren't really expected to beat Crewe or Tranmere away. But we were expected to win at home to the Cobblers. So we haven't done too badly really. And we kept Cardiff at bay for nearly two hours, also away.[/QUOT

On the flip side Doug we have failed to keep a clean sheet in four games.We create very few chances.Still Wilkins deserves a bit more time.If the gates continue to drop then Knight will be forced to make changes.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Agreed, young Algie. Roll on Saturday, I'm getting thirsty.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

We won't get them if we only offer £500 a week in wages.

:eek:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If you take each game in isolation, we weren't really expected to beat Crewe or Tranmere away. But we were expected to win at home to the Cobblers. So we haven't done too badly really. And we kept Cardiff at bay for nearly two hours, also away.

Exactly. So far we've got the results I expected, although a point at Crewe or Tranmere would have been nice.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I expect we will hear about a lot of names we are trying to sign this week and of course we won't sign any of them.
This all should have been sorted pre season with a big clear out and bringing in fresh blood.
Who ever made the decision to give contracts to the likes of Butters, Mayo, Kuipers, Loft etc is the reason why things are so grim.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

But Lofty is the answer to all our midfield problems (see below)!!!!

Come on Sgt Wilko... show them I'm right and put Lofty in the team!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I expect we will hear about a lot of names we are trying to sign this week and of course we won't sign any of them.
This all should have been sorted pre season with a big clear out and bringing in fresh blood.
Who ever made the decision to give contracts to the likes of Butters, Mayo, Kuipers, Loft etc is the reason why things are so grim.

interesting point about Loft, the midfield so far is clearly shocking, you would of thought DW would of had a look at him after putting faith in him pre season.
We all know he is clearly no where near good enough though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports