Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brief encounters: Leo Sayer

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So the family story goes, we saw him busking below South Kensington tube station (the bit that leads from the tube to the museums) just before he made it big back in around 73/74. I don't remember it though.

Funnily enough I was debating on my blog about whether I preferred Leo or Roger's version of 'Giving It All Away'. Daltrey's voice is very powerful and the more defiant but Leo's version is far more melodic and arguably he carries the tune better. It's a toughie but Roger wins it, just about, for me.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
The pub was The Lady Jane and is mentioned in the song The Bells of St Mary's from his 'Just a Boy' album

I grew up in Shoreham and I'm 5 years younger than Leo (Gerry), we lived near Southlands Hospital and I think his Father worked there as well. Used to see him about the town but didn't know him to talk to. Went to see him live at The Dome in 1974 & 75 and he was brilliant, he's over here on tour at the moment and is appearing at The Assembly Hall in Worthing on Nov 22nd.

Leo and his songwriting partner David Courtney wrote nearly all the tracks on Daltrey's first solo album 'Daltrey'.

Yes of course the good ol' Lady Jane! Lived on Old Ford Rd in late 60's

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I almost ran over Paul McCartney once. Bugger was too quick though.
I saw Paul McCartney riding his bike along the seafront (by the Palace Pier) Heather Mills was rollerskating.......I didn't like to stop them, it must be nice to have a bit of normality if you are that famous.

(You couldn't tell she had a wooden leg)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Used to look after garden for the person who played the head mistress in grange hill...umm..also up until recently maintained the garden of an ex albion player...grounds maintenance at a small block of flats where Monty P lived...i could go on ???

Monty P didn't p off his balcony on you when you were cutting the grass?:)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Whilst working in a bar in Majorca in 1996/7 I was introduced to two very young lads working with the guy selling Nadal spirits. I know I was told how one was good at football and one good at tennis. I can see no conection between Rafael and Nadal spirits but I KNOW I
met the boys
and what I was told.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Oddly, met Jerry Springer twice, once at Heathrow terminal 1 baggage claim and then again in Vegas after the America's Got talent show!! Nice guy. Met Motty in a Costwolds hotel bar during Cheltenham week - horse racing is his true passion.. Met Norman Wisdom at his old house in W Sussex before he moved to the I of Man, a pure comedian..Met Jimmy Carter and Latoya Jackson at LGW, although they weren't together and then....the best of all, met Penelope Cruz at the general aviation hangar at Miami airport a week after she won her Oscar..she was luvly!!!

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Leo used to hangout in the Lighthouse Club years ago and was at one time the babysiter for my friends family during the early 70's.
He also happens to be an honorary SDU member although I gave up trying to get him along to any of our events it always proved to hard.

Attachments

• DSCF2763.jpg
    DSCF2763.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 79

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He slept on the floor of my Mum and Dad's flat for 6 months way back when. Smelly little bugger who didn't like washing much apparently..

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Can't report any sightings of Sayer but used to see Katie Melua busking I'm Churchill Sq. (outside that shop that sells discount luggage) she was VERY pretty.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Did anyone know Pete and Eddie Sayer who, I believe, also lived in Shoreham? They played locally in a band called The Dimensions. I always wondered whether they were related to Leo Sayer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So the family story goes, we saw him busking below South Kensington tube station (the bit that leads from the tube to the museums) just before he made it big back in around 73/74. I don't remember it though.

Funnily enough I was debating on my blog about whether I preferred Leo or Roger's version of 'Giving It All Away'. Daltrey's voice is very powerful and the more defiant but Leo's version is far more melodic and arguably he carries the tune better. It's a toughie but Roger wins it, just about, for me.

For all his fame as a rock star, Roger Daltrey is an under-rated ballad singer.

'Giving It All Away' is a classic example, as is 'Behind Blue Eyes' and 'Tea & Theatre'.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Did anyone know Pete and Eddie Sayer who, I believe, also lived in Shoreham? They played locally in a band called The Dimensions. I always wondered whether they were related to Leo Sayer.

That the same Peter Sayer that played football locally, good winger I recall!?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I reckon with a few more posts we could write "Leo Sayer the Life Story: the untold years (including the dirty bits)". He couldn't sue if it was all true!
NSC with all its members could do the same for loads of so-called celebs in Sussex... so who bumped into Rod Stewart before he was hosed off his houseboat in Shoreham then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here