Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brief encounters: Leo Sayer

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Was in band in Shoreham called patches before was famous as my uncle was drummer, he lived on house boat Shoreham at some stage, then went solo.. He's a one man band, nobody knows or understands, but if there's anyone out there who can lend a hand, blah blah

So the boring 'Waterside' could legitimately be renamed Lady Jane or named/themed after Leo Sayer, Rod Stewart or Fluff Freeman who all stayed in the houseboats. One of those at least would bring in a LOT of extra guests (women)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
My dad expelled him from the Brighton branch of the Musicians Union for non payment of subs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So the boring 'Waterside' could legitimately be renamed Lady Jane or named/themed after Leo Sayer, Rod Stewart or Fluff Freeman who all stayed in the houseboats. One of those at least would bring in a LOT of extra guests (women)

it wasn't going to be Fluff Freeman then

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Does anyone else remember Leo Sayer before he was famous?
Met Adam Faith once in Churchill Square and had a very brief encounter with Sally Geeson (elsewhere on my blog) in Worthing, while doing a Saturday job.
Many years later - after his Olympic years - in about 1992 met Steve Ovett in a pub in Scotland and spent a good hour chatting with him about Brighton and Hove and school days!
Trying to gather a collection of brief encounters with famous sports people or celebs - preferably from Sussex!
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/brief-encounter-1
Cheers

Lived 3 doors from Steve Ovett at the time of his triumph in Moscow, in Adelaide Crescent Hove
He bought the number plate SJO 800 to commentate this on his Jag?
Our jogs coincided just once for about 50 yards down the road leading to the seafront
His career ended when he was jogging eastwards past the Church on edge of the Floral Clock/Church Road (opposite Harry's) when he looked up at the billboard on the side on the Church & ran straight into the iron railing that juts out a bit. Ouch

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I had afternoon tea on the lawn with Lord Snowdon. Great bloke.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
My mum worked with Leo Sayer in the late 60's. He was on work experience/apprenticeship or something. May have been at the Argus or at a factory in Shoreham - possibly the latter. She said he was a very nice young man.
I worked with him too but we knew him as Gerry-at NSU/Datsun on Harbour Way, Shoreham. He was always saying he'd be famous one day. He was part of the 'maintenance department' (him and an old fart called Patsy) so he was a bit of a dog's body..drank with us after work a few times in The Lady Jane.

reading some of the other posts, he seemed to flit from job to job quite a lot.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's right

he went to school with my older brothers at robert southwell ,now chatsmore , he was the class punch bag apparently but on the up side pauline collins done them up for the school play two years running ....think my oldest brother shagged her but i'm not sure...i can ask him tomorrow if you like...!!

That is right. My big bruv and sis were at school with him. Gerald I think his real name was. He used to sing and go up the old Mexican Hat in Worthing which went on to be called the Carioca club. The line in Moonlighting when he mentions a place just off Montague Street refers to it. Bell end apparently.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I almost ran over Paul McCartney once. Bugger was too quick though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Met Penelope Keith and het old man, who was a copper in Brighton, in a boozer in London. I had a neck brace on and he bought me a pint, nice people

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Used to look after garden for the person who played the head mistress in grange hill...umm..also up until recently maintained the garden of an ex albion player...grounds maintenance at a small block of flats where Monty P lived...i could go on ???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I performed live on stage with Leslie Crowther once. I was great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here