Bridcutt

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Now how many times have you desperately used the "we got rained on" excuse for your 6000 crowds at the Withdean, Phallus?

You wonder why we only got 6000 or so at the Withdean. Here's what the Observer said having visited it:

Capacity 6,960, Built 1930, Prices £22

· 'Has to be the worst in the Football League. A three-sided athletics stadium, not a football ground, and the track makes the pitch seem miles away. The fourth side is a sandpit for the long jump and a hammer-throwing area, which utterly ruins the atmosphere. Despite being the worst by a mile, it's among the most expensive.'
· 'Probably a great place to hold a minor county athletics meeting, and maybe some day they can get back to doing exactly that. You can't help but feel sorry for the Brighton fans.'
· 'Brighton is unarguably a cracking place to go out - full of excellent boozers, eateries and clubs. Unfortunately the Withdean isn't in Brighton. It's out in the suburbs. It's dreadful.'
· 'I went there once to watch Withdean v East Grinstead in the Sussex County League. The attendance was 38. Says it all.'

Bear in mind also that about 10% of the ground was available for the away fans. How many do you think we got coming from Rochdale on a wet Tuesday in February, 50 if we were lucky. There was also a stand near the family section consisting of about 300 seats or so which was never ever used for some reason, (probably safety concerns), so I reckon 6000 was as good as a sell out most weeks

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Won't just give it away, REMF have to earn it.

Anyway like you say Bridcutt wouldn't join you for a few reasons.

1, You turned him down, that must of hurt him.
2, He's Brighton and the thought of joining you must make him want to vomit.
3, Bloom would never allow it as he's Mr BHA and would be disgusted at the thought just like any right minded thinking Albion fan.

Strange comment after Murray and dobbie
I hate to say but Money talks in football

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Won't just give it away, REMF have to earn it.

Anyway like you say Bridcutt wouldn't join you for a few reasons.

1, You turned him down, that must of hurt him.
2, He's Brighton and the thought of joining you must make him want to vomit.
3, Bloom would never allow it as he's Mr BHA and would be disgusted at the thought just like any right minded thinking Albion fan.

Why do REMF have to earn it ?
All mouth and trousers .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The problem facing any cash rich club is that unless they're willing to trawl the Latvian, Estonian and Malaysian leagues/have a very good scouting network they're at the mercy of prospective selling clubs trying to take the p*ss. It's known as 'The Man City Syndrome.'

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Palace would always start their bid low , I'm sure were meet somewhere around the 4 mil mark with add ons
The lure of the promiced land will be hard to resist

It depends on whether he wants to go in the short term or wait around for a better offer. I'm sure more stable Premier League clubs than Palace are keeping an eye on Bridcutt and might be tempted to make a bid. He would be better waiting for them to come in than taking the first offer.

£4 million is probably about right but would you not question Palace bidding £4 million for a player who has never played in the Premier League and is a defensive midfielder (who generally cost less than strikers/wingers)?

For what its worth, I think he will go (but not to you) for about the £4 million you suggest but not until we have a manager confirmed for next season.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Palace would always start their bid low , I'm sure were meet somewhere around the 4 mil mark with add ons

The lure of Selhurst Park may be less attractive. Build a new ground and you'd enjoy a groundswell of support as we have. Redevelop the two old stands at Selhurst and you'll be missing out on a fanbase injection.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Bridcutt is very different to those two. Dobbie we wanted to get rid of after he didn't work (and you were willing to pay us what we paid for him) and Murray was out of contract. Bridcutt is under contract for two more years and a key player for us. You also have suddenly got a lot of money so we can demand a lot.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Yes the promiced land will be hard for most players to resist what with their wages doubling or trebling over night but Bridcutt will get better offers than you lot and like I've said above, he'll not join. You can offer us as much as you like but at the end of the day it's down to the player and he'll give you a wide swerve.

Totally agree, the only loyalty left in football comes from the fans and in some instances the Chairmen, which in both our clubs we have.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why do REMF have to earn it ?
All mouth and trousers .

Edna ran the Brighton Marathon raised something like £2,000.
Brighton vs Palace REMF football games raise?
Fans do things to raise money for REMF and get sponsored.

If someone does something for charity then I'll donate money, make them do it. I'm not just going to part with my hard earnt cash unless theirs an incentive for me to do so.

Understand?

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
The lure of Selhurst Park may be less attractive. Build a new ground and you'd enjoy a groundswell of support as we have. Redevelop the two old stands at Selhurst and you'll be missing out on a fanbase injection.

I think selhurst will look very different within a few season from now and cost nothing in rents or loans?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I think selhurst will look very different within a few season from now and cost nothing in rents or loans?

You need planning permission first. You can't raise the Arther Waite stand any higher than it is because of the houses behind and the stand will no longer hold 8,000 but more like 4,000 or maybe 5,000 at a push.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
You need planning permission first. You can't raise the Arther Waite stand any higher than it is because of the houses behind and the stand will no longer hold 8,000 but more like 4,000 or maybe 5,000 at a push.

So build a new stand with half the capacity ?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Brighton and Hove Albion is a relatively new business since moving ,of course we are going to have to tweak the employee situation and many more aspects at the club ,probably for a few more years,there are not many new companies or businesses that get it right first time without changing or tweaking things , just like we are going to run at a loss ,why would we show a profit and pay the dear old tax man when we can invest in the club and the infrastructure.We have invested heavily and like any other new business we will be trading at a loss we would be ill advised not to ,that is why the fair play rules will hit us harder .
As for crowds ,I have supported the Albion for well over 30 years and yes there were times when our crowds dipped but so did most clubs at these times especially when times were tough ,but we have always had good support especially away and have an incredible catchment area which is being taped into ,and there are not many clubs who would have supporters travelling on buses to a ground many miles away to watch their team and know that their was no investment in players or the club .
As for Bridders ,we will lose players of course and we will have disappointments on and off the pitch ,but none as worse as the total despair we were faced with when we trudged out of the Goldstone for the last time not knowing if we would have a club to be disappointed with .
I care very little for palace and whats going on there and any petty arguments, and in the grand scheme of things why should I ,as we have a club that has been through what very few have ,we have made many many friends in football ,have I believe a good guy at the helm that has the clubs interests at heart ,have fans that are second to none who have marched ,signed petitions ,given money and many other things relentlessly to just keep our club in existence and have come out the other end with a marvelous infrastructure a long term plan in relation to the youth setup and far better and wiser with realistic sustainable financial footing.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Did you go to Withdean? I really don't think Palace crowds would have stood up to what we had to put up with at the end of the Goldstone, then going to Gillingham and following it up with 12 years at Withdean.

I don't really care that much about crowds as what really matters at the moment is that you will be playing a division above us in next season and will get a load of money which, if invested well, will put you in a good position. However, the pathetic argument that our crowd is 6,000 or 7,000 because that is what we got at Withdean is ridiculous. I was a season ticket holder every year there but I don't blame anyone for not going to Withdean much or not at all. It doesn't mean they are not a Brighton fan.

Yes, we have picked up a few fans since the Amex who will drop if we stay in this division another couple of years but it is nowhere near the level that Palace fans want to think. We have a big supporter base and are now picking up the generation that Gillingham/Withdean lost us.

For the record, I have no doubt that playing at a stadium as atrocious as the Withdean would have put a serious dent in our support. Likewise being exiled to Gillingham. I enjoy a bit of banter, but I have nothing but respect for fans such as you who stuck with your team through those days.

I was just taking the piss out of the Major, of all people, trying to use a jibe he normally uses as a defence.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
So build a new stand with half the capacity ?

Looks like that's what you'll have to do. Explain to me how you can build a new stand with the same capacity if that what you're getting at because that stand is like getting on a train in Calcutta. There is no way you can build the capacity stand again.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Looks like that's what you'll have to do. Explain to me how you can build a new stand with the same capacity if that what you're getting at because that stand is like getting on a train in Calcutta. There is no way you can build the capacity stand again.

I bow down to your design and build expertise :wink:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I bow down to your design and build expertise :wink:

About time as well. Serious question, how can you develop it? Can't go higher, can't go round the corner because of Sainsburys or the other end because of the houses. Just intrigued to know?

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Now how many times have you desperately used the "we got rained on" excuse for your 6000 crowds at the Withdean, Phallus?

You wonder why we only got 6000 or so at the Withdean. Here's what the Observer said having visited it:

Capacity 6,960, Built 1930, Prices £22

· 'Has to be the worst in the Football League. A three-sided athletics stadium, not a football ground, and the track makes the pitch seem miles away. The fourth side is a sandpit for the long jump and a hammer-throwing area, which utterly ruins the atmosphere. Despite being the worst by a mile, it's among the most expensive.'
· 'Probably a great place to hold a minor county athletics meeting, and maybe some day they can get back to doing exactly that. You can't help but feel sorry for the Brighton fans.'
· 'Brighton is unarguably a cracking place to go out - full of excellent boozers, eateries and clubs. Unfortunately the Withdean isn't in Brighton. It's out in the suburbs. It's dreadful.'
· 'I went there once to watch Withdean v East Grinstead in the Sussex County League. The attendance was 38. Says it all.'

Bear in mind also that about 10% of the ground was available for the away fans. How many do you think we got coming from Rochdale on a wet Tuesday in February, 50 if we were lucky. There was also a stand near the family section consisting of about 300 seats or so which was never ever used for some reason, (probably safety concerns), so I reckon 6000 was as good as a sell out most weeks

so you are saying most of Brighton's fans only turn up to watch if its a decent stadium ? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports