Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Why have our attendances gone from 7 - 27k ? Anything to do with the capacities of the two stadiums?

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Bigger,yes, but not MUCH bigger. Currently 48 million over 4 years. Will be 60 million over 4 years - a rise of 3 million a year average.

£3M a year is a huge amount. The Palace owners said we get about £4M a year in the Championship. I guess BHA are not getting too much more than that. Yes, an extra 10K fans will bring in slightly more than that but not an awful lot. And you seem to have double the losses of Palace so perhaps you are in fact, despite the nice ground and larger attendance, worse off than Palace have ever been since 2010?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The gap in income between the Premier League and the rest is the main reason why so many clubs – including Palace, twice – have gone bankrupt. So what do Sky and the FA do? They negotiate an agreement which lavishes yet more millions on the Premier League and leaves the rest even further behind. Of course, Palace fans are wetting themselves at the prospect of joining this jamboree, but they should heed the lessons of history, in terms of their club and the game in general.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Anyway, does anyone know if Bridcutt has agreed his transfer to Palace yet? :wink:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The gap in income between the Premier League and the rest is the main reason why so many clubs – including Palace, twice – have gone bankrupt. So what do Sky and the FA do? They negotiate an agreement which lavishes yet more millions on the Premier League and leaves the rest even further behind. Of course, Palace fans are wetting themselves at the prospect of joining this jamboree, but they should heed the lessons of history, in terms of their club and the game in general.

I think we are just happy that this money will set us up for years to come , with our sensible leadership . Thanks for your concerns but we will be ok .

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think we are just happy that this money will set us up for years to come , with our sensible leadership . Thanks for your concerns but we will be ok .

Yes and you said that the last two times you went up - on the back of screwing your creditors - and you still managed to go into receivership twice.

So despite your reassurances, the rest of us will hold fire on casting your mid to long-term credit worthiness until proven otherwise.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
No one does plastic like Palace, just proved it with your response, no logic at all. Maybe you try and paint us with that brush as you can't get the amount of fans that we can now. Yes getting a bigger stadium does help us get from 7k to 28k, funny that. So when you get a 30k stadium (funny I know), can we call your fans plastic when you increase from 14/15k you get now? I wonder.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Yes and you said that the last two times you went up - on the back of screwing your creditors - and you still managed to go into receivership twice.

So despite your reassurances, the rest of us will hold fire on casting your mid to long-term credit worthiness until proven otherwise.

Of course we did ??? So desperate to get one over us, aren't you?

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
Wow. You know what to do if your desire for premier league football is so great. Change your username to "turncoat" on your way out.

Its not just a desire for premier league football. I for one am pissed off with people who sit in the Amex with no real passion. Yes we have a great stadium but sometimes you might as well be at a bloody cricket match. So what have we achieved? We have a nice new stadium and yes a good fan base but how long will that last? Always been a pessimist when it comes to the Albion,so sorry but at this precise moment yes I would rather be in the Premier league

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its not just a desire for premier league football. I for one am pissed off with people who sit in the Amex with no real passion. Yes we have a great stadium but sometimes you might as well be at a bloody cricket match. So what have we achieved? We have a nice new stadium and yes a good fan base but how long will that last? Always been a pessimist when it comes to the Albion,so sorry but at this precise moment yes I would rather be in the Premier league

Change your name to Nigel and you're half way there :wink:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Christ on a bike Nige

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
If Brighton had got promoted the last pace you would have found me would be on a Palace website, I would just be basking in the moment with not a thought for them. Very strange to see them on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Palace keep trotting out this figure of 900,000 as their potential fan base. On that basis we're entitled to claim 1.5 million, which is (I believe) the population of Sussex. If you want to bring Crawley into the equation let's slice off a further 100,000 and call it 1.4 million.

On that basis it's not hard to see why we might be able to fill a 30,000-seater stadium, even in the Championship, or why our crowds are bigger than Palace's.

Regarding this tiresome issue of "plastic" fans ... we had 14 years playing in stadiums which were either in an entirely different county (Gillingham) or else were very small, had no roof, no atmosphere, some poor sightlines and were expensive for what they were (er, Withdean).

In such adversity, a lot of us thought we'd lose a generation of fans. Over those 14 years, thousands of the old guard will have died off, thousands more simply lost the Brighton habit, and thousands more were born into a county which, to the Premier League generation, maybe didn't seem like it had a "proper" football side.

Yet the Amex has been packed to the rafters for two seasons, failure to reach the Prem hasn't dented season ticket sales, kids across the county are wearing the stripes like never before, and there's a tangible sense of pride in what Brighton have achieved ... EVEN FROM PEOPLE WHO DON'T NECESSARILY GO TO GAMES.

It's a pretty incredible story and pretty much everyone in Sussex understands it. I'm not surprised that our Palace friends think that it all adds up to a "plastic" fan base but the truth is so different that these jibes really don't sting at all.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great post, Monkey Man.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What would Palace fans say if we put in a £3M bid for Jedinak ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here