Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Aren't his current commercial partnerships and sponsorships falling £8.50m short of covering your annual costs at the moment, despite your excellent new stadium, high sales of pies etc, huge new fanbase and the rest?

The whole parachute payments at their new levels are obscene and will do nothing other than make the Championship less competitive than it currently is. Even if Barber manages to bridge that annual loss how are you expected to compete with a team that has been given millions of pounds more to spend as a result of being relegated?

So which of the top 6 this season were on Parachute payments? How much bigger would the parachute payments had to have been to have saved Wolves from relegation?
Palace may avoid relegation next season, and cling on in there but it won't be fun, they will have one or two days in the sun, perhaps turning Man Utd over or Chelsea, but mostly they will be getting stuffed.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
So which of the top 6 this season were on Parachute payments? How much bigger would the parachute payments had to have been to have saved Wolves from relegation?
Palace may avoid relegation next season, and cling on in there but it won't be fun, they will have one or two days in the sun, perhaps turning Man Utd over or Chelsea, but mostly they will be getting stuffed.

Are you seriously suggesting that having significantly more money available than most other clubs isn't an advantage? Simply because the clubs that came down were managed dreadfully from a financial perspective. Fair enough.

I agree that Palace will probably come straight back down but, hey, the season will have its moments. And we will be able to improve Selhurt significantly as a result of the excessive tv money.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you seriously suggesting that having significantly more money available than most other clubs isn't an advantage?.

well, just go an look up the teams benefiting from the parachute payments the last couple of seasons, see where they are and make your own judgement.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
well, just go an look up the teams benefiting from the parachute payments the last couple of seasons, see where they are and make your own judgement.

This season the parachute payments are MUCH bigger to avoid the likes of Pompey, Wolves, etc...

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
I understand all of that and I feel for you, I really do. But you'll never be us, however much you'd like to be. Just get over it if you can. Enjoy the Premier League and try to forget that not one single Brighton fan would change places with you for a minute, before it eats you up completely.

This is really embarassing and such a stupid response! I know of quite a few of our fans including me who would rather change places with Palace at the moment!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This season the parachute payments are MUCH bigger to avoid the likes of Pompey, Wolves, etc...

Bigger,yes, but not MUCH bigger. Currently 48 million over 4 years. Will be 60 million over 4 years - a rise of 3 million a year average.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This is really embarassing and such a stupid response! I know of quite a few of our fans including me who would rather change places with Palace at the moment!

Really? Are you really that desperate for the premier league to abandon all we have for a season in the premier league?. Absolutely no way i'd swap places.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
You are not a true fan if you want to swap to what Palace have got, and i am not talking about their crap ground, weird manager, strange kit, silly ultras, German folk songs, plastic fans, I am taking about being a Brighton fan for life and I would not swap that for any other club and I am sure Palace feel the same, what a stupid discussion for a real fan ???

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Wow. You know what to do if your desire for premier league football is so great. Change your username to "turncoat" on your way out.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
10 rising to 15m wasn't it?

I reckon we'll get £5m rising to £7m based on appearances and so on. Which is still cheap as chips compared to the mugs who signed Jordan Rhodes.
What the same Jordan Rhodes that scored 27 league goals last year? I wonder what would have happened if we had one of those.......

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
You are not a true fan if you want to swap to what Palace have got, and i am not talking about their crap ground, weird manager, strange kit, silly ultras, German folk songs, plastic fans, I am taking about being a Brighton fan for life and I would not swap that for any other club and I am sure Palace feel the same, what a stupid discussion for a real fan ???

So we are the club with plastic fans :D Just plain laughable.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
So explain why you call our 24,000 season tickets holders as plastic, when your 10,000 that only turn up for big games or extra 20k for Wembley are loyal ! Please try and explain ? We are so confused

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
So explain why you call our 24,000 season tickets holders as plastic, when your 10,000 that only turn up for big games or extra 20k for Wembley are loyal ! Please try and explain ? We are so confused

Confused? No problem.

We averaged 17k this season and 'officially' took 34k to Wembley. Every club in the country would double their normal attendance on a trip to Wembley. Did you see Bradford's 30,000 there for the league cup final? It's Wembley, every team takes hangers on or part time fans along for the day out. Brighton would be no different.

As for your plastics. Your attendances have gone from 7k to 27k in two years. Some of those will be old Brighton fans who didn't fancy the Withdean or Gillingham. But a large proportion of them are fans of other teams that live in Sussex or people that now fancy a bit of footie now there is a new stadium on the door step. Now there is nothing wrong with attracting new fans but will these JCL's turn into proper Brighton fans in time? Who knows. You are enjoying a massive upturn in support and good luck to you for that, But don't try and hide the fact that these 'customers' didn't want to know about Brighton when times were tough.

Away support figures show that despite you averaging 10k more at home than us we supported our team in better numbers on the road. Plastics don't travel.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Confused? No problem.

We averaged 17k this season and 'officially' took 34k to Wembley. Every club in the country would double their normal attendance on a trip to Wembley. Did you see Bradford's 30,000 there for the league cup final? It's Wembley, every team takes hangers on or part time fans along for the day out. Brighton would be no different.

As for your plastics. Your attendances have gone from 7k to 27k in two years. Some of those will be old Brighton fans who didn't fancy the Withdean or Gillingham. But a large proportion of them are fans of other teams that live in Sussex or people that now fancy a bit of footie now there is a new stadium on the door step. Now there is nothing wrong with attracting new fans but will these JCL's turn into proper Brighton fans in time? Who knows. You are enjoying a massive upturn in support and good luck to you for that, But don't try and hide the fact that these 'customers' didn't want to know about Brighton when times were tough.

Away support figures show that despite you averaging 10k more at home than us we supported our team in better numbers on the road. Plastics don't travel.

Good old Palace fans. Redefining the term plastic fan from meaning someone who watches the team on telly and maybe turns up for the occasional big game, to meaning someone who buys a season ticket and watches every home league game for 3 seasons and counting.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
You Sir, are utterly deluded. Firstly you mention the money that past promoted teams have gained and how it hasn't made them stronger long term. Well this year was the year to get promoted as the pot went up a hell of a lot, from £60 million to £120 million. The parachute payments that we will receive alone are the equivalent to an extra 37000 season ticket holders each year for 4 years. We have also just made £10 million from the sale of Zaha which should ride to £15 million, our sponsorship earnings will go up as will our gate recepits. With this money we blow you out of the water for the next 4 years unless you can get promoted yourself, our budget will be bigger than your's and we realistically should be able to get in better players as a result of this.

You then go on to talk as if our chairman will squander all the money on shit players and pay them big wages. Where is the evidence for this? In CPFC2010's rein, we have never spent big, in fact our whole starting X1 that beat you in the 2nd leg cost less than Ulloa! Our owners are very sensible and have said we will follow the prudent approachs adopted by Norwich and Swansea in recent years rather than the throw money at big name mercenaries approach that QPR took. We are looking to get the best players in The Championship to join us which gives us a great chance of coming back up if we do go back down, which again, you don't know for sure will happen. Holloway's Blackpool so nearly survived in the Premiership 3 years ago despite massive odds against them and a 10k maximum wage bill per player so we have a proven manager that can compete as this level and with a tad more luck, keep us up.

Lastly you talk about the 2 respective stadiums and fanbases affecting things. Same old, same old. In regards to fanbase, let me remind you that only just over 2 years ago, you got pathetic crowds of 7000-8000. Promotion and the new stadium has seen your fanbase rise massively as will ours, you can expect 24000-25000 Palace attending games next season. Who is to say though that your fanbase won't start to drop in a year or 2 as the fair weather fans get fed up with waiting for promotion to the promised land and the team start losing more than they win?
In regards to stadia, a major refurbishment of Selhurst is planned. Granted, your shiny stadium will always be nicer to look at until we move on but that doesn't give you any advantage on the pitch, where it really matters.

Great post. It explains it all the these green-eyed monsters perfectly.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Confused? No problem.

What is a plastic?

When your attendances go up next season will they be plastic? What about when they disappear again when you come back down?

Did people not care when they (we) were marching on the party conferences etc?

More to the point why has a thread about the quite brilliant Liam Bridcutt become a willy waving thread about bloody attendances and what not

Last edited:

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
I'm not being smug. If you read my post you'll see from my post that i fully expect us to treat promotion the same way you will... by treating the TV bounty with extreme profligacy and frittering it away on overrated players and overblown wages. But there's only so far a club with a ramshackle ground and a withering fanbase can reach. We, on the other hand, after years of the sort of pain and maltreatment you can't possibly imagine, are in a superb position going forwards. Our current state of affairs is that we have almost sold our limit of 24,000 season tickets, out new 30 million quid state-of-the-art training ground is underway, and our recently completed award-winning stadium has recently been selected as a world cup venue, and our match days revenues are massive compared to the Premiership clubs who draw similar attendances to us (no point comparing us with Championship clubs, as we're miles ahead of the others). These are simply facts. So yeah, despite the play off defeat, i am still pretty chipper when considering our current state of affairs compared to your's.

And losing £8M whilst doing it. Matchday revenue's? Are you serious? That is adrop in the oceon compared to Premiershit income. How can you possibly talk of you being in an upward trend (which you currently are, despite the losses) and try and suggest that Palace are not? Both clubs are on an upward trend. Unfortunately (for you), one of them is at a hell of a lot more acute angle than the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here