Bridcutt

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
You Sir, are utterly deluded. Firstly you mention the money that past promoted teams have gained and how it hasn't made them stronger long term. Well this year was the year to get promoted as the pot went up a hell of a lot, from £60 million to £120 million. The parachute payments that we will receive alone are the equivalent to an extra 37000 season ticket holders each year for 4 years. We have also just made £10 million from the sale of Zaha which should ride to £15 million, our sponsorship earnings will go up as will our gate recepits. With this money we blow you out of the water for the next 4 years unless you can get promoted yourself, our budget will be bigger than your's and we realistically should be able to get in better players as a result of this.
You then go on to talk as if our chairman will squander all the money on shit players and pay them big wages. Where is the evidence for this? In CPFC2010's rein, we have never spent big, in fact our whole starting X1 that beat you in the 2nd leg cost less than Ulloa! Our owners are very sensible and have said we will follow the prudent approachs adopted by Norwich and Swansea in recent years rather than the throw money at big name mercenaries approach that QPR took. We are looking to get the best players in The Championship to join us which gives us a great chance of coming back up if we do go back down, which again, you don't know for sure will happen. Holloway's Blackpool so nearly survived in the Premiership 3 years ago despite massive odds against them and a 10k maximum wage bill per player so we have a proven manager that can compete as this level and with a tad more like, keep us up.
Lastly you talk about the 2 respective stadiums and fanbases affecting things. Same old, same old. In regards to fanbase, let me remind you that only just over 2 years ago, you got pathetic crowds of 7 or 8000. Promotion and the new stadium has seen your fanbase rise massively as will ours, you can expect 24-25000 Palace attending games next season. Who is to say though that your fanbase won't start to drop in a year or 2 as the fair weather fans get fed up with waiting for promotion to the promised land and the team start losing more than they win?*
In regards to stadia, a major refurbishment of Selhurst is planned. Granted, your shiny stadium will always be nicer to look at until we move on but that doesn't give you any advantage on the pitch, where it really matters.

Have i hit a nerve there mate! It doesn't matter how much extra money you get from being in the Premiership, history clearly shows you that whatever is available is spent and ultimately wasted on wages in the pursuit of staying there. We'll do the same when we're promoted. All clubs, other than a handful of established clubs, go through the same fruitless process. If you're lucky you'll finish 4th bottom next season and come down the year after. But you still one day need to address your ground issue. And until that time, the long-term trajectory of our clubs are, i'm afraid, on rather different paths.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Have i hit a nerve there mate! It doesn't matter how much extra money you get from being in the Premiership, history clearly shows you that whatever is available is spent and ultimately wasted on wages in the pursuit of staying there. We'll do the same when we're promoted. All clubs, other than a handful of established clubs, go through the same fruitless process. If you're lucky you'll finish 4th bottom next season and come down the year after. But you still one day need to address your ground issue. And until that time, the long-term trajectory of our clubs are, i'm afraid, on rather different paths.

delusion still reigns on here I see

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

We're already starting that process by drawing up plans, if you go up and we go down next season then I'm inclined to agree with you but given your current state of affairs, I don't understand why you're so smug.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
We're already starting that process by drawing up plans, if you go up and we go down next season then I'm inclined to agree with you but given your current state of affairs, I don't understand why you're so smug.

I'm not being smug. If you read my post you'll see from my post that i fully expect us to treat promotion the same way you will... by treating the TV bounty with extreme profligacy and frittering it away on overrated players and overblown wages. But there's only so far a club with a ramshackle ground and a withering fanbase can reach. We, on the other hand, after years of the sort of pain and maltreatment you can't possibly imagine, are in a superb position going forwards. Our current state of affairs is that we have almost sold our limit of 24,000 season tickets, out new 30 million quid state-of-the-art training ground is underway, and our recently completed award-winning stadium has recently been selected as a world cup venue, and our match days revenues are massive compared to the Premiership clubs who draw similar attendances to us (no point comparing us with Championship clubs, as we're miles ahead of the others). These are simply facts. So yeah, despite the play off defeat, i am still pretty chipper when considering our current state of affairs compared to your's.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sake. Let's not argue with palace . They are better in most areas now . Just giving yourself grief trying to win . Let palace go for a bit . Things hopefully be back on even footing again soon

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sake. Let's not argue with palace . They are better in most areas now . Just giving yourself grief trying to win . Let palace go for a bit . Things hopefully be back on even footing again soon

As we speak there are SKY plastic Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City etc. fans up and down the country scratching their heads as to where Crystal Palace is, and wondering whether they are a 'newly founded soccer franchise'

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As we speak there are SKY plastic Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City etc. fans up and down the country scratching their heads as to where Crystal Palace is, and wondering whether they are a 'newly founded soccer franchise'

They been up there good few times . Its less painful to just let them go imo

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You Sir, are utterly deluded. Firstly you mention the money that past promoted teams have gained and how it hasn't made them stronger long term. Well this year was the year to get promoted as the pot went up a hell of a lot, from £60 million to £120 million.

you do understand that the money is the same the next year and after that few a few more years at least? go up this year, next year, makes little odds. you do also understand that the money will go on players and wages, or else you will likely be relegated? yes, Holloway nearly stayed up on a budget, but it wasnt through bad luck but playing a certain way and adopting certain tactics. did he learn? risky.

In regards to stadia, a major refurbishment of Selhurst is planned.

whens that then? next year, year after, three years? how much is that going to cost? benefit of the nice windfall you have is the owners can afford to do something at last, but theres no plan in place so time is against. do they spend it all on the refurb, sacrificing the playing side? spank it all on the playing side leaving nothing for the refurb? you need a dose of reality that the stadium is no longer fit for purpose and you may have a stand or two closed next year. good timing on the premiership windfall, you better hope the owners use it wisely.

that was a top rambling rant, btw, thanks.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'd be shocked if no one better than this comes in for Bridcutt.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011

You keep telling yourself that if it helps ease the pain! I've already explained that we won't be blowing money on big names and that other clubs have shown you can stay up on a sensible budget. All your shiny ground gives you is a base to get more fans in through the door, history shows that a nice new stadium dramstically increaces attendences and this in turn creates revenue. However as mentioned before, our parachure payments are the equiverlent to 37000 additional season ticket holders attending. We get 4 years of this. So even if we come down after the first season and say we hit an average 17000 (like this year) in our first season back in The Championship, our gates in revenue terms would be as if we have 54,000 punters to your 30,000.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You keep telling yourself that if it helps ease the pain! I've already explained that we won't be blowing money on big names and that other clubs have shown you can stay up on a sensible budget. All your shiny ground gives you is a base to get more fans in through the door, history shows that a nice new stadium dramstically increaces attendences and this in turn creates revenue. However as mentioned before, our parachure payments are the equiverlent to 37000 additional season ticket holders attending. We get 4 years of this. So even if we come down after the first season and say we hit an average 17000 (like this year) in our first season back in The Championship, our gates in revenue terms would be as if we have 54,000 punters to your 30,000.

Well of course the parachute payments are a big advantage, but that's the gap Paul Barber has to bridge with his commercial partnerships and sponsorships.

Also it can't be overlooked that these extra 37,000 do not buy one single replica shirt, or pint, or pie. Ever.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Well of course the parachute payments are a big advantage, but that's the gap Paul Barber has to bridge with his commercial partnerships and sponsorships.

Aren't his current commercial partnerships and sponsorships falling £8.50m short of covering your annual costs at the moment, despite your excellent new stadium, high sales of pies etc, huge new fanbase and the rest?

The whole parachute payments at their new levels are obscene and will do nothing other than make the Championship less competitive than it currently is. Even if Barber manages to bridge that annual loss how are you expected to compete with a team that has been given millions of pounds more to spend as a result of being relegated?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Palace are in an interesting position regarding their windfall. Personally if I was a Palace fan I'd be hoping the money was used to bring that dump into the 19th century.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This thread is called Bridcutt, but seems to be nothing but Crystal Palace supporters with permanent and enormous chips on their shoulders.

Look, guys, once and for all - you're not Brighton fans, you live in Croydon and not Sussex, you have to watch football in a ramshackle old tip rather than a beautiful new ground, you follow a team wearing the most garish Barcelona wannabee outfit imaginable rather than our cool blue and white, and you spend all your time on our message boards because they're an entertaining place to be ...

I understand all of that and I feel for you, I really do. But you'll never be us, however much you'd like to be. Just get over it if you can. Enjoy the Premier League and try to forget that not one single Brighton fan would change places with you for a minute, before it eats you up completely.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Aren't his current commercial partnerships and sponsorships falling £8.50m short of covering your annual costs at the moment, despite your excellent new stadium, high sales of pies etc, huge new fanbase and the rest?

No. The last 8.5 million loss was for the year before before Barber arrived, before the 8000 extra seats, before the increased travel levy, before Azure catering were kicked out to increase the albion cut of food and drink, before the new Amex sponsorship etc. etc.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
But you'll never be us, however much you'd like to be. Just get over it if you can.
:mad:

Bridcutts value should be around £3million, Good defensive CM. Brighton don't need to sell though, so if he does go it will be nearer £4m.

Can't see him coming to us, Would suggest somewhere like West ham or West brom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports