Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt to Palace?

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
FAR more? You seem to know quite a lot about our squad, and am assuming you mean wages, because with the exception of Ulloa, I'm not sure we paid anything else out. Perhaps Orlandi and definitely Dobbie (but as we know you're being kind enough to take that loss off our hands :thumbsup: ).

Well I am from Brighton originally so yes, I think I know a fair bit about your squad. I know it's only one aspect of looking at it, but Ulloa cost more than our entire squad when you beat us 3-0. Add CMS, Orlandi, KLL, Buckley, Crofts and even the likes of Hoskins and Bergkamp who have rarely featured cost far more than ours and that's not even including your array of Spanish players, Premier League loans and free transfers.

The fact we got promoted when competing with the likes of you and Leicester (who have spent silly amounts) makes it even more astounding.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well I am from Brighton originally so yes, I think I know a fair bit about your squad. I know it's only one aspect of looking at it, but Ulloa cost more than our entire squad when you beat us 3-0. Add CMS, Orlandi, KLL, Buckley, Crofts and even the likes of Hoskins and Bergkamp who have rarely featured cost far more than ours and that's not even including your array of Spanish players, Premier League loans and free transfers.

The fact we got promoted when competing with the likes of you and Leicester (who have spent silly amounts) makes it even more astounding.

Actually, I do agree in that it was a good good achievement for yourselves. Whilst I didn't think you'd go down, not many people saw you as likely to go up.

I assumed you'd meant the last 12 months rather than every member of our squad, even those yet to play (e.g. Bergkamp). I think it is a huge assumption on your part however that we have spent vast sums, which clearly we haven't. The only 'silly' amount we have spent, arguably is on CMS, who although looked a good signing at the time, just can't cut it at this level.

Shall we include wages as well? :wink:

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Actually, I do agree in that it was a good good achievement for yourselves. Whilst I didn't think you'd go down, not many people saw you as likely to go up.

I assumed you'd meant the last 12 months rather than every member of our squad, even those yet to play (e.g. Bergkamp). I think it is a huge assumption on your part however that we have spent vast sums, which clearly we haven't. The only 'silly' amount we have spent, arguably is on CMS, who although looked a good signing at the time, just can't cut it at this level.

Shall we include wages as well? :wink:

DO IT!!! :blush:

Ironically, our most expensive signing (I think) didn't kick a football this season - Paddy McCarthy.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Ironically, our most expensive signing (I think) didn't kick a football this season - Paddy McCarthy.

We could start with Murray - if you believe NSC you doubled his wages........ ???

Did you pay for Bolasie? How much was he and McCarthy?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

At end of last season half (at least) of our squad were league 1, your squad were all championship quality, are you suggesting that we didn't need to replace some of our league 1 winners in the league above? Your £10m winger was sold for more than our entire squad cost to assemble, on that basis your team is in fact worth more than ours.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
IF we sold Bridcutt, not to Palace obviously, the £5m fee would come in useful with the FFP rules next season.

Just saying.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
IF we sold Bridcutt, not to Palace obviously, the £5m fee would come in useful with the FFP rules next season.

Just saying.

Won't get £5 mill.
Good player at championship level, but his lack of goals will go against him in the premier.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Won't get £5 mill.
Good player at championship level, but his lack of goals will go against him in the premier.
The goals are irrelevant, he's basically a defender. He looked a good player at international level (albeit for Scotland-monkey tennis).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting...just got back from Ireland and some random bloke in the hotel bar asked me much did I think bridcutt was worth and I said around the 3 million mark and he said he had heard that palace had offered 2 million plus sell on. Turns out he worked for their sponsors.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
We could start with Murray - if you believe NSC you doubled his wages........ ???

Did you pay for Bolasie? How much was he and McCarthy?

The Murray bit might be true, as I had heard he was on a league 1 contract with you of £4k a week. Which to be fair is quite reasonable in league 1.

Gus just didn't rate him, and the "improved" contract offered reflected that, leaving it fairly easy for even cash-strapped palace to offer more.

Incredible error on your part, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Won't get £5 mill.

Ten years ago Chelsea paid £17M for a CDM that was described thus by his previous clubs President "His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres." He scored 2 goals in four seasons at Chelsea and they were well happy with him.

Banned
May 19, 2013
So its a 37 game season now then...... :facepalm:

The table doesn't lie, we were better than you over the course of the season.

You beat us in the play-off's fair and square after a good 45 mins, where you took your 2 chances, and then comfortably beat Watford.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Premier League and you do seem to have a good manager in Holloway despite what some of your fans felt before the play-off's.
Well you clearly weren't better than us over the course of the season, since when the season was over we were in the Premier League and you weren't. I appreciate that you're bitter about this (and understandably so, I'm sure I may be if things had worked out differently) but crying about it and trying to massage the facts doesn't change anything. The playoffs are part of contest. That's how this league works.

Trying to claim you were better at the end of 46 games is about as pointless as a team trumpeting the fact that they were top at Christmas.

Maybe that's why your team were all so rubbish in the playoffs? They thought the season ended after 46 games and so just weren't prepared for the playoffs?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well you clearly weren't better than us over the course of the season, since when the season was over we were in the Premier League and you weren't. I appreciate that you're bitter about this (and understandably so, I'm sure I may be if things had worked out differently) but crying about it and trying to massage the facts doesn't change anything. The playoffs are part of contest. That's how this league works.

Trying to claim you were better at the end of 46 games is about as pointless as a team trumpeting the fact that they were top at Christmas.

Maybe that's why your team were all so rubbish in the playoffs? They thought the season ended after 46 games and so just weren't prepared for the playoffs?

Your league position does not change if you win the play offs, you are still below us in the league table, take a look.

Banned
May 19, 2013
Your league position does not change if you win the play offs, you are still below us in the league table, take a look.

You say that as if it means something of any significance? The playoffs are part of the season. Indeed, in a division with no prize money they are perhaps the most vital part of the season. You don't get anything in the Champtionship for a higher placed finish. You either get relegated, get promoted, or stay where you are. That's it.

It is, if you'll forgive me for saying so, a rather desperate clutching at straws to say "you're still below us in the league table" because we aren't. We're a division above you. By all means, if our relative positions after 46 games gives you some crumbs of comfort, then knock yourselves out. But it's where we both were after 49 games that I care about.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Nobody is bitter. Just stating facts, try reading the previous posts. Ever heard of the saying 'the table never lies'?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But the big clubs won't be in for him, only lower clubs like Norwich and the promoted clubs.

Well Everton were watching him last season and they weren't bad. However, I don't think anyone is stating that he'll go to the big 5.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here