Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt on Monday Night - Applaud or Boo ? - Discuss

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst it was a shame the way that he went about it, all Liam Bridcutt was doing, was trying to secure a move that he felt would be beneficial to him. Were we able to offer him the chance to play in the Premier League?, no we weren't. We weren't then, and we haven't been able to since.

If you had the chance to move to a rival company for the offer of better prospects and or salary, would you turn it down?, no of course you wouldn't.

That's what this is to professional footballers, just another job. In the short period of time they have, they want to do as well as they can, and make as much money as possible.

We shouldn't deny them the right to do that, or deride them when they do.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If I was anywhere near the Amex on Monday I'd be enthusiastically applauding him. Twice player-of-the-year? That matters. If the club had been halfway fair with him he'd still be a legend.

Zamora and Bridcutt are the last two players to win player-of the year for us in successive seasons

BZ gave us three full seasons, wanted to go the premier league and we didn't stand in his way, let him leave in the summer to Spurs. Club legend.

Bridcutt gave us three full seasons, wanted to go to the premier league to which we promised we'd sell him but we kept him for another half a season during which time he played well, then kept standing in his way during the winter transfer window presumably out of reluctance to sell to Sunderland and Poyet, eventually letting him go once he put a sulk on.

I'm sure if we'd done the decent thing and let him go in the summer then we'd be talking about him in hugely glowing terms. The club didn't stand in the way of Ulloa or Bennett or Zamora or many others but took a hard line on Bridcutt.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The best thing is to chant "One Beram Kayal" loudly and often over the course of 90 minutes.

We used to sing Bridcutt's name, and if we boo him without praising his successor then he'll have scored a moral victory. However, if he sees we've moved on with Kayal and he's been ignored then we'll be scoring the moral victory.

Either way, it's only a sideshow. Much more important to me is we really need the 3 points and that I'm looking forward to see Knockaert destroy their full-back.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Who gives a toss?

What sort of state has football got to when there has to be an online debate to decide whether to boo an ex player? If you want to boo then boo ffs.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If I was anywhere near the Amex on Monday I'd be enthusiastically applauding him. Twice player-of-the-year? That matters. If the club had been halfway fair with him he'd still be a legend.

Zamora and Bridcutt are the last two players to win player-of the year for us in successive seasons

BZ gave us three full seasons, wanted to go the premier league and we didn't stand in his way, let him leave in the summer to Spurs. Club legend.

Bridcutt gave us three full seasons, wanted to go to the premier league to which we promised we'd sell him but we kept him for another half a season during which time he played well, then kept standing in his way during the winter transfer window presumably out of reluctance to sell to Sunderland and Poyet, eventually letting him go once he put a sulk on.

I'm sure if we'd done the decent thing and let him go in the summer then we'd be talking about him in hugely glowing terms. The club didn't stand in the way of Ulloa or Bennett or Zamora or many others but took a hard line on Bridcutt.

Agree with all of this. Suspect Bridders suffered as a result of the Bloom/Poyet/Barber love triangle. Had he been wanting to go somewhere else I am sure it would have been a lot easier.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The best thing is to chant "One Beram Kayal" loudly and often over the course of 90 minutes.

We used to sing Bridcutt's name, and if we boo him without praising his successor then he'll have scored a moral victory. However, if he sees we've moved on with Kayal and he's been ignored then we'll be scoring the moral victory.

Either way, it's only a sideshow. Much more important to me is we really need the 3 points and that I'm looking forward to see Knockaert destroy their full-back.

The whole Bridcutt thing is a sideshow to be honest, let's simply concentrate on doing the one thing that really matters, trying to win the game.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Normally, I find it a bit tedious when we chant "who?" when opposition players are substituted, but maybe a chant of "who?" whenever Bridcutt's name is mentioned by an announcer (in line-up or as a sub) would get the point across.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Did you boo Elliott Bennett? He put in a transfer request to try to talk to Norwich. Ok, he did change his mind and stay until the end of the season, but what's the difference?

No because although he put in a transfer request he continued to make himself available for selection unlike Bridcutt.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Why would you even care that much, assuming you had an actual life outside of footbsll?

You do realise this is NSC, home to the most socially underdeveloped of the Albion's fanbase I take it? I'd definitely consider booing Liam if I wasn't so tied up in wondering who to vote for in next year's World's Hardest Creature thread once the competing animals for 2017 are revealed. #HoneyBadger

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Do nothing. There is nothing worse than indifference.

Why would you boo him? He was great for us, and then had the opportunity to play in the Premiership which we couldn't give him.
I agree with these two, rise above the typical football fan reaction. Can we really blame a player for having their head turned by an offer to play in the top league in the country (unlike Dunk whose level submerged into the toilet bowl when Fulham showed a passing interest)? If the club had let him leave for a bigger future like those before him then the mess that followed could have been avoided. Instead they repeatedly obstructed him.

If our employers held us back for promotion time after time we would all probably get a little snarky about it eventually and this is no different.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
>Two-time player of the season
>Scorer of one of the best goals at Withdean. Certainly one of the most dramatic
>Fantastic, fantastic player for us
>Club stood in his way of joining a Premiership side for a much improved wage

Anyone who boos Bridcutt is a moron of the highest degree. One of the best players to grace the Amex in a blue and white shirt

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No because although he put in a transfer request he continued to make himself available for selection unlike Bridcutt.

Point of order. Bridcutt didn't ever make himself unavailable. The phrase, 'I don't think he's in the right frame of mind', actually came from Nathan Jones, when Bridcutt wasn't selected.

There was a strong rumour that Dunk refused to play last August, but he doesn't get booed, albeit he's still our player.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Point of order. Bridcutt didn't ever make himself unavailable. The phrase, 'I don't think he's in the right frame of mind', actually came from Nathan Jones, when Bridcutt wasn't selected.

There was a strong rumour that Dunk refused to play last August, but he doesn't get booed, albeit he's still our player.

Not according to Oscar:

"He was available for selection but he spoke with Nathan and he said that maybe he would not be focused on the game 100%," Garcia told The Argus.

"A lot of things are happening around him and he was honest and for this he didn't play. I trust all the players. I know how they are.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
All our favourite players here at the moment will leave if they get a better offer elsewhere, despite any kissing of the badge or applauding the fans after a game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I have just posted - See post #7 on that thread. Nathan Jones said it, not Bridcutt.

Nathan Jones didn't say it. Nathan Jones said that he'd said it.

I'm sure Liam was still in the frame of mind to pick up his ten grand a week from us, or whatever he was on at the time when he'd downed tools. Not sure my employer would be quite as generous if I rung in and said "sorry, I'm not in the frame of mind to work at the moment..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here