Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not handing in a transfer request is, sadly, absolutely no indication that the player is happy here.

Bridcutt has asked to leave verbally. The key financial ramification of handing in a written transfer request is that the player will lose any right to a contracted sign on fee.

The player, if confident his agent will get him the move, will never hand in a request.

Has Bridcutt verbally asked to leave?

(Edit) Has he told Bloom that if he could leave tomorrow he would?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not handing in a transfer request is, sadly, absolutely no indication that the player is happy here.

Bridcutt has asked to leave verbally. The key financial ramification of handing in a written transfer request is that the player will lose any right to a contracted sign on fee.

The player, if confident his agent will get him the move, will never hand in a request.

This. Exactly what happened with Gareth Barry, who forced a move from Villa but refused to put in a transfer request as he'd lose his "loyalty" (hah) bonus in doing so.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe David Burke should be told that by Bloom. He used to do the same job at Southampton and got good prices for their players, so I can't see why he doesn't get a decent price for us.

Hmm. Who have we sold, of any significance, since DB has been in role (genuine question)?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

LoL! Where have I heard that before!?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hate all the posturing that goes on in the transfer window. Gus wants him, he wants to go, we've got a thousand other midfielders and we could do with the cash to bolster our squad. What's the hold-up? Give us the £3.5 million and let's get the deal done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This. Exactly what happened with Gareth Barry, who forced a move from Villa but refused to put in a transfer request as he'd lose his "loyalty" (hah) bonus in doing so.

a 16 yo trainee had a "loyalty clause" and one substantial enough that Villa couldnt cover it? i cant really see that they are common for non-high profile players outside the top flights, and if they were, i'd imagine Sunderland could cover a few tens or hundred grand if that where a problem.

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
a 16 yo trainee had a "loyalty clause" and one substantial enough that Villa couldnt cover it? i cant really see that they are common for non-high profile players outside the top flights, and if they were, i'd imagine Sunderland could cover a few tens or hundred grand if that where a problem.

From Villa not to Villa

mrgull

Jan 1, 2014
I agree,and if the deal is done and dusted as several posters here are saying.WHY IS IT NOT COMPLETED....... PAID UP ......AND MONEY IN THE BANK.....so Oscar can hopefully go on and strengthen the squad with some quality players of his choice.Then later when the new training facility is available start looking for promising youngsters to bring on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hmm. Who have we sold, of any significance, since DB has been in role (genuine question)?

As best I can tell, Burke joined us in January 2012. These are the outgoings since then. Steve Cook was January 4th 2012, I don't know if Burke was in place for that or not.

Jan 2012
Cook (undisclosed)

Jun 2012
Navarro (free)
Poke (free)
Taricco (retired)

Aug 2012
Hall (undisclosed)
Elphick (undisclosed)
Noone (£1m)
Bergkamp (undisclosed)

October 2012
Sparrow (released)

Jan 2013
Vincelot (released)

Jul 2013
Dobbie (undisclosed, supposedly covered what we paid out for him, upwards of £850,000)
Rodgers (free)
Harley (free)
Agdestein (free)
Kasim (released)
Vicente (released)
East (released)
Oatway (released)

Aug 2013
Painter (free)

Sep 2013
Dicker (free)

Jan 2014
Barker (undisclosed)

Source

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

He doesn't have to say anything to the club. All he has to do is let his agent know he is happy to move and he'll do all the rest, including pocket a percentage of any deal. Don't forget that when LBs wages rise then so does the agent's! That's the way it works. Not ideal but that's life!

I hate all the posturing that goes on in the transfer window. Gus wants him, he wants to go, we've got a thousand other midfielders and we could do with the cash to bolster our squad. What's the hold-up? Give us the £3.5 million and let's get the deal done.

I agree about all the posturing but there are hardly thousands of midfielders of the quality of Bridcutt. Only any good getting money if when you spend it you actually improve upon what you had.

I think he is referring to when he transferred from Villa to City!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Until now I would have been very unhappy to lose Liam. But, I fear his mind is elsewhere to an extent. I was watching the Bournemouth highlights and it was his mistake in midfield that led to the 'penalty'. And more to the point, in Andrews and Ince we have holding players who will minimise Liam's loss to the team. Andrews is not as tenacious as Bridcutt, but he reads the game better and his shooting and passing range are better.

PG

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He doesn't have to say anything to the club. All he has to do is let his agent know he is happy to move and he'll do all the rest, including pocket a percentage of any deal. Don't forget that when LBs wages rise then so does the agent's! That's the way it works. Not ideal but that's life!

I see what you are saying, but because Gus's agent is also Bridcutt's, he would have been put between a rock and a hard place.

As far as I know he seems happy here, but he may have said to his agent when he was asked about joining Sunderland, that he doesn't mind moving. I would imagine that Bridcutt is under a lot of pressure from the people that want to control his career.

Do you think that staying here would make him miserable or do you think there is a chance he may go phew tfft?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As best I can tell, Burke joined us in January 2012. These are the outgoings since then. Steve Cook was January 4th 2012, I don't know if Burke was in place for that or not.

Jan 2012
Cook (undisclosed)

Jun 2012
Navarro (free)
Poke (free)
Taricco (retired)

Aug 2012
Hall (undisclosed)
Elphick (undisclosed)
Noone (£1m)
Bergkamp (undisclosed)

October 2012
Sparrow (released)

Jan 2013
Vincelot (released)

Jul 2013
Dobbie (undisclosed, supposedly covered what we paid out for him, upwards of £850,000)
Rodgers (free)
Harley (free)
Agdestein (free)
Kasim (released)
Vicente (released)
East (released)
Oatway (released)

Aug 2013
Painter (free)

Sep 2013
Dicker (free)

Jan 2014
Barker (undisclosed)

Source

Thank you for that, so sold too low for Noone IMHO, and good job recovering outlay for Dobbie. Mixed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here