Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott sacked by Reading

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I totally agree, but that was Clarke's fault, not McDermott's.

It seems absolutely crazy to sack him now.

As you say he was picking up the mess that Clarke left. I would also assume that there wasn't a massive amount of money available in Jan after the amount that Clarke had spent such as the 2.5 million on Vydra.

After last time I would have thought he deserved more time, however maybe they had started to meet about transfer targets and the Board weren't happy with them. Didn't Reading sign some 22yo defender the other day? Could that have been a factor?

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Didn't Reading sign some 22yo defender the other day? Could that have been a factor?

Wasn't signed by McDermott, was bought on the advice of our new Technical Director Brian Tevreden, who has strong links to Ajax which is where the Jaap Stam link is probably coming from.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Madness from Reading, totally unrealistic expectations from the board in terms of what they thought McDermott could, and should, should achieve in 6 months.

And what sort of signal does it send out to prospective candidates - we're the sort of board that will sack one of the most loved managers in the clubs history at the drop of a hat?!?

Reading face a tough job to get back competing again in the top 6.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Another club with wild expectations beyond their means. That said they have spent a bit of money and probably should finished higher than they did. But equally sold Reading's best player, albeit he then did nothing after leaving.

When will OTHER clubs learn that you need manager stability to succeed.

I agree, but try telling Watford and Chelsea.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Wasn't signed by McDermott, was bought on the advice of our new Technical Director Brian Tevreden, who has strong links to Ajax which is where the Jaap Stam link is probably coming from.

Ah fair enough, maybe some tension caused by that, conversely maybe absolutely nothing! Too many Brians?

Seems a very odd move, but if there are other options lined up then that could be a necessity for what is deemed to be a greater option

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No evidence for this, but my kneejerk thought to this was "Sami Hyypia"

PG

Mine was Owen Coyle, since he has recently left Houston Dynamo. Apparently by mutual consent, he wanted to move back closer to family in England, and they wanted to not be bottom of their division.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
But was that more linked to his flirting with the Fulham or some other job vacancy?

Flirting with Fulham!.....he was in full blown talks with them, whilst Reading were sitting near the top of the Championship ( when we played them on Oct 31st, they were 2nd in the table ) Fulham were keen but Clarke overplayed his hand, demanding too much and insisting his whole backroom staff went with him. Maybe he was calling their bluff but he shot himself in the foot by alienating the new Thai owners at Reading, who expected more loyalty. After a fairly short time they then sacked him. Blackman, who was on fire, was then sold to Derby and the wheels started coming off.
There is a lot going on at Reading, not least massive development plans around the Stadium perimeter. The existing club car-park is disappearing and there are plans to build an indoor arena, ice-rink, shopping and restaurant mall and extensive residential properties. The new owners clearly have big plans and want a successful team to match their vision and were probably influenced by John Madjewski and Nicky Hammond in bringing back a previously successful manager. Hammond has now gone and they obviously feel it is time to sweep clean. McDermott knew his way round the Championship and was very popular. If I was a Reading fan, I would be worried at the new agenda at Reading.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yeah he's clearly not up to the task, what kind of crap manager only wins the Championship once?

That was 4 years ago and since then his record has been gash. In football last season is history its what will happen this season and now that is important How many managers win a promotion and are sacked before the following Easter or even Christmas,..

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hahaha Reading

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That was 4 years ago and since then his record has been gash. In football last season is history its what will happen this season and now that is important How many managers win a promotion and are sacked before the following Easter or even Christmas,..
Interesting you should think so.

By using your logic I did a quick comparison between McDermott and CH. Would you believe that not only did McDermott win the Championship more recently but that at the club prior to his Reading stint (Leeds) he had a better record (based on win percentage) than CH did at his (Norwich).

Presumably, this would have made Hughton not cut out to be a manager when we employed him? Perhaps he still isn't? Or is McDermott not cut out for it based on this current season, managing another man's squad under the employ of some potential basket cases? Is it because he can't play at left back? At what point do we get to write people off?

Please pass on your wisdom, I need to know!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here