Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Lenihan - Cork City

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
He seemed to have some knowledge of Portuguese Joe signing. Tweeting earlier in the day about Hyypia using his Liverpool contacts?

Maybe a fellow journalist in Liverpool passed on the details rather than someone at this end of the country?

"... but Cork want to strike a deal where the right-back can return on loan."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tal-Palace-Hull-vying-Cork-City-defender.html

So it's possible they may want him back on loan as part of the deal I guess.

That is dated 7th August, the landscape may be very different now.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Naylor has had no inside track for a long time. His support of OG (hinting the club waa in the wrong over his departure) was a key issue.

Support? Surely he was just writing an interview with the ex-manager – what's wrong with that? I actually appreciate that, rather than just hearing one side of the story.

And AGAIN, it wasn't as if Naylor had exclusivity on the "three expected to sign" story, was it? Loads of people were touting the same line.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Their season finishes at end of September, beginning of October anyway, so no big problem if he does go back on loan

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
A colleague at work is a Cork lass and has just been listening to Cork FM. Apparently they've just mentioned how Brian Lenihan is on his way to us, and they were having a debate on whether or not he should be playing tonight or not!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
After all that Ward stuff I just find it difficult to believe somehow when there are Prem clubs also sniffing around with wheelbarrows full of cash. Playing his last game for Cork tonight he may well be, but that isn't the same as having signed a contract with us!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Fair enough but I thought his reporting was very anti-club management and I've a mind those who matter will have viewed it similarly. Objective reporting is a matter of (difficult) balance and Naylor seems to have slipped up compared to, for example, his counterpart for South London Press who covers a number of clubs and appears to "get away with it".
I feel sorry for Naylor who in my view is not a bad reporter and has a generally good attitude but it remains the case that he is suffering right now and so are his readers. I would like to think the club would ease up a bit as good local press relations benefit the club and the fans.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
After all that Ward stuff I just find it difficult to believe somehow when there are Prem clubs also sniffing around with wheelbarrows full of cash. Playing his last game for Cork tonight he may well be, but that isn't the same as having signed a contract with us!

Ward and Lenihan are at very different stages of their careers though. Ward is motivated to play at the highest level possible, for the biggest wages, as he has limited seasons left. Lenihan may well see that his route to the first team, and eventually the Premier League, is easier with us (not necessarily in the PL with us).

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Ive seen this chap play and he is the real deal bloody great pwopa footballer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough but I thought his reporting was very anti-club management and I've a mind those who matter will have viewed it similarly. Objective reporting is a matter of (difficult) balance and Naylor seems to have slipped up compared to, for example, his counterpart for South London Press who covers a number of clubs and appears to "get away with it".
I feel sorry for Naylor who in my view is not a bad reporter and has a generally good attitude but it remains the case that he is suffering right now and so are his readers. I would like to think the club would ease up a bit as good local press relations benefit the club and the fans.

I'm not a fan of clubs freezing out the local press, it smacks of bullying imo. Naylor has as far as I'm aware done nothing outrageous. I had sympathy with Oscar so was interested in the article concerned and I would be worried if the club decided he should be frozen out because of it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Promising.

Assuming it is indeed us who've signed him. I did wonder about these claims that he'd play for Cork tonight. Seems unlikely (not to mention possibly against the rules) for him to have officially signed for one club and still play for another, unless it involved a loan deal.

It can't involve a loan deal back to Cork, by the way, whoever he signs for, something to do with the Irish transfer window rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here