Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Lenihan - Cork City

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
So you'd have him sit and watch a few games first to see how we play before we put him in the Dev Squad?

You've missed my point.

According to "reports", he was likely to go into Hull/Spurs' dev squads if their respective bids were accepted and terms were agreed. The lure of Brighton was supposedly due to more chance of establishing a place in the first team sooner rather than later. If he signed I was expecting the lad to be in our first team squad as opposed to the Dev.

BHA007

Jan 13, 2013
I seem to remember we were after Luke ayling before he went to bristol city, so we have been after a right back for first team , therefore I would assume lenihan if signed would be competing for the first team role

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You've missed my point.

According to "reports", he was likely to go into Hull/Spurs' dev squads if their respective bids were accepted and terms were agreed. The lure of Brighton was supposedly due to more chance of establishing a place in the first team sooner rather than later. If he signed I was expecting the lad to be in our first team squad as opposed to the Dev.

I wouldn't Irish league to jumping in ahead of Bruno or Calde is a pretty big leap. DS for year than see where we are.
Would doubt he has been promised anything else but here he has a bigger prospect of making the breakthrough eventually.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
The Leesiders have accepted a transfer bid for the Republic of Ireland international with reports suggesting that he will join Brighton and Hove Albion

Cork City have confirmed that the club have accepted a bid for 20-year-old defender Brian Lenihan.

Following speculation that the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international was on the verge of leaving Turner's Cross, the SSE Airtricity Premier Division club released a statement confirming that a bid had been accepted.

"Cork City Football Club can confirm that the club has received an offer for our player, Brian Lenihan, which has been accepted," the statement read.

"The club will not be making any further comment on the matter at this time, and the focus of our management and players is fully on Friday night's FAI Ford Cup tie against Bohemians at Turner's Cross."

all sounds very promising: The former College Corinthians youth has been the subject of intense interest from clubs in Britain in recent weeks, with Premier League clubs such as Manchester United and Arsenal, as well as Hull City and Aston Villa, scouting the defender.

"Arsenal have watched him, Hull have. We’ve realised that Manchester United have watched him, Tottenham, Everton and Villa have watched him. They’ve all had direct club employees to look at him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good work to get cover in for Burno/Calde early and get him blooded and hopefully he would be first choice by the end of the season

If Bruno stays in midfield I imagine Calde's place will be under threat from Lenihan, if he signs. I know it goes against the Calde love in but he really is not a top Championship RB imo. I don't expect to get much support for this view but Calde worries me as a defender, I'd love him and Bruno to have proper competition as they are both getting on and will not play all the time.

Can't see Lenihan going into the development squad, straight into the first team squad if he comes here imo

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The biggest bonus is we ALREADY have a song for him, one we have been singing for years...

Der der
Der der der
Der der der der
BRIAN

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If Bruno stays in midfield I imagine Calde's place will be under threat from Lenihan, if he signs. I know it goes against the Calde love in but he really is not a top Championship RB imo. I don't expect to get much support for this view but Calde worries me as a defender, I'd love him and Bruno to have proper competition as they are both getting on and will not play all the time.

Can't see Lenihan going into the development squad, straight into the first team squad if he comes here imo

I agree,

Calderon still has a lot to offer as a squad player. Perfect for cup games or as short-term defensive cover in times of injury or suspension. I agree the top-end of the Championship is getting slightly beyond him now as he doesn't quite have the same level of skill as Bruno. He's an exciting option though and great for cover. Looking to the mid-long term RB is obviously a position we'd look to replenish. Hopefully Calderon/Bruno could pass on the benefit of their considerable experience to any young talent we bring in,

Calderon, like Stockdale, is a fantastic leader on and off the pitch. Players who conduct themselves in such a way are huge assets to any club.

I sincerely hope we continue to work with such exciting and attacking full backs. Bruno and Calde play such important roles in supporting the attack with overlaps.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If he is left out tomorrow, could be done over the weekend?

He's playing tonight in his farewell appearance for Cork apparently. He's a dev squad signing, so not an issue. If he was going into the first team squad we would probably insist he doesn't play.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
He's playing tonight in his farewell appearance for Cork apparently. He's a dev squad signing, so not an issue. If he was going into the first team squad we would probably insist he doesn't play.

Assuming of course it us calling the shots.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I wouldn't be so sure that he'll be going straight into the Dev squad, should he join us.

If we're trying to convince him to join us ahead of several Premier League clubs, we probably wouldn't get into his good books by denying him the chance of a farewell appearance for his current club. Sure there is a small chance he might get injured and scupper the deal, but that's a risk worth taking if we can convince him that BHAFC is the right club for him.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Its already been stated he will start in the dev squad, should we sign him of course.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11424691.UPDATED__Bid_accepted_for_full_back_linked_with_Albion/?ref=mrs

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I think you are jumping the gun here. This is being conducted as a public auction. Cork are hoping for more cash and we have not agreed personal terms for the player. There is still every chance we will be outbid on this deal, as we were with Ward when we had agreed a fee.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That's an assumption made by The Argus, not an offical statement from the club. Our point of differentiation from the Premier League clubs interested has presumably got to be that we're offering him a faster route to first team football.

An assumption that I tend to agree with. And yes, we are the more likely to give him a faster route into first team football - But via the dev squad initially I reckon.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
[/B]

Its already been stated he will start in the dev squad, should we sign him of course.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11424691.UPDATED__Bid_accepted_for_full_back_linked_with_Albion/?ref=mrs

"Albion are currently well covered in both positions in the first team by Spanish veterans Bruno and Inigo Calderon, so Lenihan would begin life at the Amex in the development squad. "

1) Bruno is currently being played as a midfielder
2) Calderon is an amazing servant to the club, however he is not getting any younger & his pace sometimes leaves him vulnerable.
3) Andy Naylor has yet to get anything right that hasn't been posted elsewhere for days before his reports.

Going on the above I wouldn't be surprised if he is a little closer to the first team than some might think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here