Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you're not a high wage area, how do you justify those season ticket prices?
We don’t. We have a 12 month interest free direct debit scheme, so we can stretch out the payments.
Fortunately I am a pensioner so it’s cheaper for me, but I know of several people that have given up their season tickets since we got promoted because they can’t afford to go any more.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Brighton is not a high wage area. The problem with Brighton is that it is only 50 miles from London where wages are good. So, when London got too expensive we were invaded by DFLs. Down From London.
Local youngsters can’t afford to live here.
I returned south in 2004 and couldn’t afford to buy a property within 12 miles of Brighton, even though my house in Yorkshire was fully paid off.

You really don’t know much about us, do you?
A few years ago, in the Blair era, I was involved in Regional matters around the South-east. I was at a meeting where one of the employees of SEEDA ( South east England Development Agency) used the expression of a “necklace of poverty“ around the South-east coast - all the major towns and cities from Southampton through Portsmouth, Worthing, Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings right round to the North Kent Coast. This was in stark contrast to leafy Surrey, for example.

and in the past I have heard Southampton, because of indices of deprivation and so on, described as a Northern City in the South. I would imagine Brighton could be similar.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The former minister for brexit opportunities Jacob Rees Moron, who was in the post the post for several months, gave one brexit benefit: the signs in the dartford tunnel.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
one question I have for brexiters: if net migration was lower how does that improve your life? also net migration this year is the highest since records began yet wage inflation is up 6%. So immigration does not cause wage supression

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One benefit is clearly that we have the right to control who comes into the country. The obvious downside is that we haven't yet found politicians who can do that. I suspect the entrenched incompetence of the Home Office hasn't helped.

I know that in high wage areas like Brighton, you rather like the idea of shedloads of low paid foreigners coming in and driving down wages as low as possible, because it makes your stuff cheaper. In low wage areas like Burnley, the attraction of the low wages being driven down even lower is harder to appreciate.
If truth be told, for the architects of Brexit it was about de-regulation, less protection for workers, less regulations, less about working conditions, driving down wages even further.

You are still latching onto the premise that the reason for low wages is immigration. That has never been the truth. The reason for low wages is policy driven, through taxation strategy, employment rules on pay, equality, living standards. The gulf that has grown between the very rich and very poor isn't through immigration, it is through policy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'Control our borders' one of the great lies.

For the more simple amongst us

We were never part of Schengen
We could control EU Immigration
We just didn't bother :dunce:

Since 2006, the Free Movement Directive (to give it its formal title, EU Directive 2004/38/EC) has given us exactly the control over immigration that Brexiteers claimed didn't exist.

Where admission is permitted, an EU citizen may remain in the UK for up to three months from the date of entry, provided they do not become a burden on the social assistance system of the UK. If an EU citizen does not meet one of the requirements for residence set out in the Directive [employed, self-employed, self-sufficient, student] then they will not have a right to reside in the UK and may be removed.

This was all pointed out on the first few pages of this thread and repeatedly thereafter but it appears some people had their fingers wedged so tightly in their ears, shouting 'PROJECT FEAR' at the top of their voices that they didn't hear. Or were too stupid to understand but I like to think for the majority, that it was the former :wink:

And now it seems that the Brexit cabal were never interested in controlling immigration at all. Well who could have guessed :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
One benefit is clearly that we have the right to control who comes into the country. The obvious downside is that we haven't yet found politicians who can do that. I suspect the entrenched incompetence of the Home Office hasn't helped.

I know that in high wage areas like Brighton, you rather like the idea of shedloads of low paid foreigners coming in and driving down wages as low as possible, because it makes your stuff cheaper. In low wage areas like Burnley, the attraction of the low wages being driven down even lower is harder to appreciate.
Low paid foreigners were and continue to be the trogan horse used by the Tories and other dishonest actors to groom people in places like Burnley.

Vote for us and we'll end zero hours contracts we created and we'll protect workers rights going forward, honest...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well that's what we get with the Johnson Brexit cabal liars, you should have stuck with UKIP, they definitely told the truth :laugh:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Brighton was full of language schools. I knew a few people that taught English. We had coaches full of French and German youngsters every summer arriving at Newhaven, for a week or two to learn. Local people earned a bob or two hosting these youngsters. Local businesses benefited from them buying clothes and souvenirs.
Every single one has closed.
I used to be turfed out of my room for four weeks every year, and had to sleep on a camp bed. We were one of those hosts. Quite enjoyed it too - as we used to take the students around Sussex showing them 'English Things' like Morris Dancing, which must have puzzled them. Mind you - I never learnt a word of French/German/Spanish/Italian/Swedish!

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Actually, we now have less of a right to control who comes and who stays in the UK. The ending of the Dublin Agreement saw to that.

"we haven't yet found politicians who can do that". That's because it cannot be done. Brexit removed the facility to do so. No politician can make something that doesn't exist, work.

We had the facility to allow "desirable" people into the UK with free movement and we had the facility to control "undesirables" with the Dublin Agreement. We threw both of those out with Brexit.

I don't know the reason people like you aren't aware of these things. Are you thick? Ignorant? Haven't had the time to research the matter? Didn't think it through? I don't know but it's not great, is it? That you voted for something without knowing it's ramifications.
We talking about politicians who when faced with a global pandemic where 100s of thousands died, their first thought was how to make a killing for them and their friends, who couldn't care less whether the equipment was usable just as long as they could line their pockets and pug it away in tax avoidance schemes. They voted to pour raw sewage into our rivers and seas, not give children free school meals and voted to block firms using fire and rehire. They then continually accuse others of being unpatriotic. Do you think they give 2 hoots about reducing immigration? the country can go to ratshit as long as they make a buck out of it

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
is there an example of another country who through political choice, reduced the population which then boosted their economy?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
'Control our borders' one of the great lies.

For the more simple amongst us

We were never part of Schengen
We could control EU Immigration
We just didn't bother :dunce:

Since 2006, the Free Movement Directive (to give it its formal title, EU Directive 2004/38/EC) has given us exactly the control over immigration that Brexiteers claimed didn't exist.

Where admission is permitted, an EU citizen may remain in the UK for up to three months from the date of entry, provided they do not become a burden on the social assistance system of the UK. If an EU citizen does not meet one of the requirements for residence set out in the Directive [employed, self-employed, self-sufficient, student] then they will not have a right to reside in the UK and may be removed.

This was all pointed out on the first few pages of this thread and repeatedly thereafter but it appears some people had their fingers wedged so tightly in their ears, shouting 'PROJECT FEAR' at the top of their voices that they didn't hear. Or were too stupid to understand but I like to think for the majority, that it was the former :wink:

And now it seems that the Brexit cabal were never interested in controlling immigration at all. Well who could have guessed :lolol:
Article 7 but never implemented. It needed exit checks and there weren't enough Border Force employees to police it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You should have mentioned this 7 years ago before the referendum .......... Oh that's right, you did, repeatedly :wink:
So what you're saying is that Brexiteers were sold a pup by a duplicitous Tory party, who promised border control to folk who mistakenly thought it would provide them with jobs, housing and decent wages, with the Tories never intending to implement it anyway?

Is it any wonder the Brexiteers don't want to face up to reality? If I had voted leave, I wouldn't. I'd be keeping my head down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We talking about politicians who when faced with a global pandemic where 100s of thousands died, their first thought was how to make a killing for them and their friends, who couldn't care less whether the equipment was usable just as long as they could line their pockets and pug it away in tax avoidance schemes. They voted to pour raw sewage into our rivers and seas, not give children free school meals and voted to block firms using fire and rehire. They then continually accuse others of being unpatriotic. Do you think they give 2 hoots about reducing immigration? the country can go to ratshit as long as they make a buck out of it

You should have mentioned this 7 years ago before the referendum .......... Oh that's right, you did, repeatedly :wink:
And was repeatedly called a liar or Pinocchio by several past posters.

I'm not sure what is going on with multi quotes because I didn't quote Randy McNob.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
So what you're saying is that Brexiteers were sold a pup by a duplicitous Tory party, who promised border control to folk who mistakenly thought it would provide them with jobs, housing and decent wages, with the Tories never intending to implement it anyway?

Is it any wonder the Brexiteers don't want to face up to reality? If I had voted leave, I wouldn't. I'd be keeping my head down.
The same people who cut people's benefits, give nurses 1% pay rise, freeze public sector wages which is a real terms wage cut are suddenly concerned about wage increases. Oh but they did ensure bankers got their massive bonuses back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here