Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Batten down the hatches. It's going to get very rough again.

Not at all. The UK got its sovereignty back...and the UK Is a parliamentary sovereignty. Therefore stands to reason that it should be scrutinised by elected MPs. Nothing to see here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not going to happen is it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Court rules that Parliament must approve triggering of Article 50.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Interesting...

an escape route for government?

now it moves to parliament to approve where the majority of MPs nominally support remaining. will they follow their personal beliefs and say no, or follow their constituents wishes and vote for leave? eitherway, they now make the decision, not government who only have to see through the outcome as best they can.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Very interesting times. I think we can safely say that the March date for Article 50 will now be scrapped. There's no way the Supreme Court will be able to hear this case in just over a month.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not going to happen is it?

i dont think so, at least not as the stronger Brexiteers have hoped. i foresee an almighty fudge from EU to bring us back into the fold.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That's because it's absolute bollocks. I can't believe there are still clowns who seem to think this island of 60m people hold all the aces over the rest of the EU trading block where numbers are approaching 450m.
Just think of the numbers FFS. 60m against 450m. Even if you want to weight those numbers to reflect economic strength, we are still going to be four or five times smaller.

I've seen this argued quite a lot before the vote happened, but I don't think our size is as big a millstone as people are making out. If our 60m people are so insignificant why has there been so much fanfare about the latest EU trade deal with a country of 36m people and smaller economy than the UK?

I'm not of the opinion that we hold all the aces, given the EU's history of negotiating trade deals I think it's fair to assume we'll end up on WTO terms. That's simply because of the way the EU is structured, the vast majority will probably be happy for a bilateral trade deal with us but it will get scuppered by one EU country/industry/demographic/region (delete as applicable) or another. This structure is one of the reasons I have no confidence in the EU political system, they have to try and please too many vastly different countries and cultures and in the end everyone loses out. The world is much smaller now and IMHO the advantages we lose with size will be offset by becoming far more agile - it certainly won't take the UK 7 years to negotiate a trade deal because there are fewer vested interests to keep happy.

We have a chance now to re-balance our economy away from financial services, over the last few years I've read many times on NSC that we need to do that and it's certainly been posted by people on this thread who are staunch EU supporters. I guess it's something of a chicken and egg situation, we don't export as much because our currency has been strong for so many years, so hopefully our manufacturing base will now have a chance to grow but it will need support at a government level so we have people will the right skills for a changing workforce.

It won't happen over night and there will be people who lose out and some financial pain while everyone readjusts, which of course is sad.

**Edit** I seem to have missed the boat, this post is sooooooooo last hour :dunce:

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's because it's absolute bollocks. I can't believe there are still clowns who seem to think this island of 60m people hold all the aces over the rest of the EU trading block where numbers are approaching 450m. Sure we import more than we export right now, but that doesn't tell you much. Firstly, how much more will it cost to import from elsewhere in the world? That depends on what we're importing and the availability from elsewhere. Energy, for example (an enormous market) will cost FAR more to import from outside the EU.

Just think of the numbers FFS. 60m against 450m. Even if you want to weight those numbers to reflect economic strength, we are still going to be four or five times smaller.

Unfortunately you prove that you are neither a businessman nor a very good negotiator.

The numbers are irrelevant to a point, markets are driven by demand, its pointless having a great product or service when a big market in numerical terms cannot afford nor have a demand for it.

So you look at what we import, where from and at what scale, then to counter with what we export etc.

If we have say an annual multi billion pound importation of German cars, then it is in the interest of Germany to keep that market fluid, active and competitive the numerical advanatge of the EU region in terms of population in this instant is irrelevent.

It is also worth noting that imports that our non essential that then become uncompetitive do not automatically be replace by something else, generally it means that demand for that particular product will fall and those EU exporters will be hit.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The correct decision IMO; however parliaments initial involvement should laegely just be a formality, unless something specific happens in the meantime.

It's odd those previously advocating a return to British law and democracy are now criticising British law and democracy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here