[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
43797d1328542935-weird-question-need-direct-magnet-energy-high-tech-tinfoil-hat.jpg

now thats a customised colander fit for the King of Pastafarians

:bowdown:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Do you work for the Sun newspaper?

I don't work for anybody-very happily retired.But if I was employed by the Sun,I'd be very happy working for a good employer who are the best in the business.Circulation figures don't lie!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The best in the business at what exactly? Defaming innocent parties?

Selling newspapers,and I'd be a bit careful on the defamation side of things.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Drawing a parallel with the USA's reasons for breakup and the UK leaving the EU are weak and a little insulting. However good/bad the working time directive may be, it is not in any way comparable to the issues of slavery.

Funnily enough, the working time directive is NOT by anyone's book (except perhaps yours?) the reason we voted to leave the EU.

Workers rights are a major reason for those that put efforts in to persuading you to vote leave, in my opinion.

The parallels with the American situation are, those that do quite nicely thank you, would like to keep on doing so, without any interference from a larger body telling them they have to treat people more fairly, at the cost of profits.

The line we get fed is that the EU has pushed through a number of laws that we opposed and that we are being ridden roughshod over.
The truth is that a good number of those laws we opposed gave greater rights to workers, protected the health of citizens or protected the environment, but all cut profits for business. This is half the reason that during the campaign Cameron could not be telling you all the good the EU has done for citizens, because he would be back in Brussels the following month, arguing against the repeal of an opt out of the working time directive.

Farage does not give two hoots about the numbers of refugees we give asylum to, but he knows if he puts a picture of a long line of Syrian refugees and the words breaking point up, he will get a good number of people to shit a brick that we are about to be over run with Muslims, unless we vote leave.
Boris does not give two hoots for the level of NHS funding, but he knows if he tells us that we can throw £350million more at it if we come out, he will con a good number of people into voting leave.

Farage knows we will take in no more or less Syrians, Boris knows we will not be £350M a week better off, and if we were, knows the NHS will see little if any increase in its budget. They give us reasons that they think we will go for, that does not make it their reasons.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why?Have they been at the top of the charts for 40 years?
Good point but it's not the point I'm making. I suppose it comes down to how one regards the term 'best'.

In the case of the sun, 'best' can mean top-selling in terms of finances gained and influence in the country, or 'best' can signify the most successful in taking advantage of the lowest common denominator.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good point but it's not the point I'm making. I suppose it comes down to how one regards the term 'best'.

In the case of the sun, 'best' can mean top-selling in terms of finances gained and influence in the country, or 'best' can signify the most successful in taking advantage of the lowest common denominator.

For far too long now there have been a minority of people who loathe the Sun because it's the fashionable thing for impressionable people to do.They have probably never read it,but constantly spit their bile,without any good reason I've ever heard.Even the financial community on here have to admit it's City pages have consistently out-predicted the 'experts' of the FT etc.I know the teaching profession don't like it,but if they were better at their jobs,they wouldn't get so much coverage!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For far too long now there have been a minority of people who loathe the Sun because it's the fashionable thing for impressionable people to do.They have probably never read it,but constantly spit their bile,without any good reason I've ever heard.Even the financial community on here have to admit it's City pages have consistently out-predicted the 'experts' of the FT etc.I know the teaching profession don't like it,but if they were better at their jobs,they wouldn't get so much coverage!

Alternatively they might loathe The Sun for hacking the phone of a dead child, claiming 'The Truth' about Hillsborough, or making up interviews with the widows of war heroes.

As for consistently out-predicting the 'experts' of the FT, that's nonsense.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Workers rights are a major reason for those that put efforts in to persuading you to vote leave, in my opinion.

The parallels with the American situation are, those that do quite nicely thank you, would like to keep on doing so, without any interference from a larger body telling them they have to treat people more fairly, at the cost of profits.

The line we get fed is that the EU has pushed through a number of laws that we opposed and that we are being ridden roughshod over.
The truth is that a good number of those laws we opposed gave greater rights to workers, protected the health of citizens or protected the environment, but all cut profits for business. This is half the reason that during the campaign Cameron could not be telling you all the good the EU has done for citizens, because he would be back in Brussels the following month, arguing against the repeal of an opt out of the working time directive.

Farage does not give two hoots about the numbers of refugees we give asylum to, but he knows if he puts a picture of a long line of Syrian refugees and the words breaking point up, he will get a good number of people to shit a brick that we are about to be over run with Muslims, unless we vote leave.
Boris does not give two hoots for the level of NHS funding, but he knows if he tells us that we can throw £350million more at it if we come out, he will con a good number of people into voting leave.

Farage knows we will take in no more or less Syrians, Boris knows we will not be £350M a week better off, and if we were, knows the NHS will see little if any increase in its budget. They give us reasons that they think we will go for, that does not make it their reasons.

I totally agree with this and here lies a problem for me with the vote, I just can't understand how the Brexit voters didn't feel conned or see through this.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't work for anybody-very happily retired.But if I was employed by the Sun,I'd be very happy working for a good employer who are the best in the business.Circulation figures don't lie!

No, circulation figures don't lie, but the newspaper does.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Is this not reason enough?
571f50f31900002e0056c33b.jpeg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Alternatively they might loathe The Sun for hacking the phone of a dead child, claiming 'The Truth' about Hillsborough, or making up interviews with the widows of war heroes.

As for consistently out-predicting the 'experts' of the FT, that's nonsense.

Are you a City journalist?If so,you would surely know of the share price annual competition.If not then you're writing rubbish.As for the stories,all journos make up whatever they think they can get away with.Just like politicians and economists.Are you still castigating Eden for the Suez crisis?It's history,and once the compensation is paid,most normal people forget about it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I read it occasionally if someone has left one in a site canteen or on the train, and when I do I am reminded of why I don't ever buy it.
There are a number of good reasons to loathe the Sun.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Is this not reason enough?
571f50f31900002e0056c33b.jpeg

Were you there?Were family members involved?If not,why are you intruding on other people's grief?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports