Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I remember when we had grown up politicians.

Proof – if ever it was needed – that the vast majority of these conversations/debates/arguments are absolutely pointless. Each 'side' will stick to their own agenda and not listen to the other point of view or budge an inch.

Was it two years of six years? Let's never agree so we can drag this sorry shitshow out from now until eternity!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think we are genuinely looking at a much more rapid rejoining of the single market and possibly the EU, than people are imagining.

The tide turns quickly in these waters. It can take some by surprise.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I remember when we had grown up politicians.

So many scary people in this country

Traitors the lot of them. Tice, Farage, Francois. Mad as hatters and with French names to boot
"We've only had two years and it's people like you Michael Heseltine that have continually thwarted the process"

Does anyone actually watch this shit 😨

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I'm going for a lie down. I agree with Lord Heseltine and Stanley Johnson on the same day.

Good grief, where do they get their presenters from? That’s painful watching those two, propaganda TV with absolutely no impartiality or reasoned debate. Let’s just shout over the interviewee, with whom we don’t agree with.
This is how I’d imagine Putins propaganda TV work, awful. Surely no one with half a brain cell can actually stomach this shit and actually watch it?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good grief, where do they get their presenters from? That’s painful watching those two, propaganda TV with absolutely no impartiality or reasoned debate. Let’s just shout over the interviewee, with whom we don’t agree with.
This is how I’d imagine Putins propaganda TV work, awful. Surely no one with half a brain cell can actually stomach this shit and actually watch it?
But to give them their due, they certainly know their target audience :wink:

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Back in the real world there is literally no Brexit benefit that has come from ending the supply of labour from the EU. As a business owner myself in the care industry we are really suffering and so is the whole sector, there just aren't enough people to fill the vacancies. The fact is we needed immigration, its a matter of demographics and an ageing population. The solution now seems to be issuing visa's to people outside of the EU...50% of job applications that we are receiving for Care Worker vacancies are from places like India and the Philippines.

In the meantime there is no capacity at all, which is causing massive problems within the care sector and more widely in the NHS. Margins are very tight and any money for wage increases must in the end come from government and increases in taxes as the local authorities are biggest procurers of care services and don't pay enough as it is.

I think you mean no benefit for business owners reliant on large-scale immigration to keep wages suppressed to keep the profits rolling in, whereas workers paid a pittance for doing many of those jobs might disagree with you. Paying workers more for doing valuable jobs like working in the care sector should be our priority while having an open honest debate about how this can be funded. If you don't mind me asking, has your business been forced to offer better salaries because of staff shortages partly caused by Brexit?

To be clear, I agree we need some immigration but we seem to have become over-reliant on largescale immigration helping to sustain a low-skill, low-productivity, low-wage economy which is completely unsustainable for numerous reasons.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you mean no benefit for business owners reliant on large-scale immigration to keep wages suppressed to keep the profits rolling in, whereas workers paid a pittance for doing many of those jobs might disagree with you. Paying workers more for doing valuable jobs like working in the care sector should be our priority while having an open honest debate about how this can be funded. If you don't mind me asking, has your business been forced to offer better salaries because of staff shortages partly caused by Brexit?

To be clear, I agree we need some immigration but we seem to have become over-reliant on largescale immigration helping to sustain a low-skill, low-productivity, low-wage economy which is completely unsustainable for numerous reasons.
You seem to be caught up in a never ending loop repeatedly quoting some recruitment agency's marketing drivel as some sort of justification for Brexit :lolol:

Firstly, it's probably worth pointing out that if a person only ever cared about economics or was happy with an endless supply of cheap labour suppressing wages for people they couldn't give a toss about, or wasn't overly bothered with an external power making laws and regulations that they could never really change then I can understand why that person would be still banging on about Brexit several years later.

Secondly, of all the trade deals signed with countries around the world outside the EU, when the UK outsourced the negotiations to the EU (a powerful tade block?) how many have been renegotiated in a negative way reflecting our new supposedly diminished status?

Finally, people voting to control illegall immigration were unlikely to get what they want as illegal immigration is by definition incredibly difficult to restrict and control, see UK or EU external border, whereas people voting to reduce EU immigration preferring all people regardless of nationality race or religion to be subject to the same rules would be mainly happy?
And you do realise that immigration has increased, somewhat undermining your whole point ?

migration.jpg

But it's good to see you supporting workers who are striking for more pay, and reversing your support for this dreadful cabal Government :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Trouble is, Brexit for the remaining rump of Leavers is a lifelong commitment; it is a creed - and no amount of contrary evidence will budge their mindset. They are too invested......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Trouble is, Brexit for the remaining rump of Leavers is a lifelong commitment; it is a creed - and no amount of contrary evidence will budge their mindset. They are too invested......
But they are dying out. Either through old age, Darwin’s theory of evolution, or a steady diet of the Daily Mail and saturated fats.

But they are dwindling.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
You seem to be caught up in a never ending loop repeatedly quoting some recruitment agency's marketing drivel as some sort of justification for Brexit :lolol:

Just trying to educate the radicalised and/or misinformed with well-sourced proprietary data Mr zero. Indeed being one of the biggest job sites on the planet which also has its own team of researchers and economists producing data used by the IMF, OECD, ECB and the BofE.

Not sure why you are continually trying to rubbish this SAUCE anyway as you have already conceded ending free movement is a Brexit benefit :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just trying to educate the radicalised and/or misinformed with well-sourced proprietary data Mr zero. Indeed being one of the biggest job sites on the planet which also has its own team of researchers and economists producing data used by the IMF, OECD, ECB and the BofE.

Not sure why you are continually trying to rubbish this SAUCE anyway as you have already conceded ending free movement is a Brexit benefit :thumbsup:
You really should get your dad to take time off from posting on all his various accounts and review your offerings before posting them. At least then they may be consistent. Still completely wrong obviously, but possibly consistent :lolol:

But back on the actual subject of the thread, what do you think we should do about the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol that you and the rest of your Unionist friends campaigned so hard and long for and now don't want ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That nice persuasive Nigel insisted on 'independence day' that, following on from Brexit, others would leave the EU -- a view endorsed by plenty of others. He's so far been proved spectacularly wrong on this and, if anything, Brexit has hardened member states' commitment to the EU. Stopped clocks and all that, Nigel might finally be right. Polexit is now being talked about. This will not be through a referendum on membership, but because they'll be turfed out for breaking the rules of the club. They've been repeatedly warned. The Polish government and its people can have a serious think about things: the EU or glorious independence -- with that nice Putin waiting in the wings. Orban next?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
You really should get your dad to take time off from posting on all his various accounts and review your offerings before posting them. At least then they may be consistent. Still completely wrong obviously, but possibly consistent :lolol:

But back on the actual subject of the thread, what do you think we should do about the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol that you and the rest of your Unionist friends campaigned so hard and long for and now don't want ?
Has he not answered that yet? 😃

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here