Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you hadn't been in a rush, you'd have read my answer in the post you were replying to. You might not like the answer, but it's an answer.

Can you tell me the derogatory terms I used and shouldn't have? I'd hate to post inappropriate language like that, but unless you tell me what the derogatory terms were, how can I expect to avoid them in future?
My rush was because I support a Football team who's match I was going to, which shouldn't really be a huge surprise on an Albion message board, and It's me trying not to use derogatory terms in the face of extreme provocation :wink:

I assume this is the post you are referring to
I apologise for the use of a derogatory term, whatever it was. Though honestly I can't see where it was, so please could you tell me what the derogatory term(s) was/were?

Part of the reason Johnson made such a pig's ear of it is because May had made a massive pig's ear of her own. She should never have let Northern Ireland be the divisive issue it was allowed to become; no-one in the referendum campaign thought it was a big issue. She should have said firmly that it is a UK issue, that the UK can handle our side of the border without putting up border posts and the like, and the Republic must do what it feels it must do.

I have no idea whether Johnson could have done better without May's mess as his starting point; maybe he couldn't. Later performance suggest that his ability to achieve anything is unproven, to say the least.

I am afraid that just because you have never apparently understood the Irish issue, didn't mean it didn't exist and wasn't highlighted as a major problem since day 1 of the referendum campaign :facepalm:

And your solution is it is a UK issue that can be resolved by doing nothing :facepalm::facepalm:

Absolute genius. I can't imagine why May got booted out for coming up with the Northern Ireland backstop, Johnson spent all his time negotiating the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol and Truss is prepared to trigger article 16 and start a trade war over it, when all they had to do was do nothing.

I am sorry but this is the level of understanding which has ultimately resulted in Truss as PM and 4 chancellors in 4 months :shootself

I've actually edited the post to take out the derogatory term and replace it with 'understanding' but don't believe any judge would have convicted given the provocation :lolol:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
My rush was because I support a Football team who's match I was going to, which shouldn't really be a huge surprise on an Albion message board, and It's me trying not to use derogatory terms in the face of extreme provocation :wink:

I assume this is the post you are referring to

I am afraid that just because you have never apparently understood the Irish issue, didn't mean it didn't exist and wasn't highlighted as a major problem since day 1 of the referendum campaign :facepalm:

And your solution is it is a UK issue that can be resolved by doing nothing :facepalm::facepalm:

Absolute genius. I can't imagine why May got booted out for coming up with the Northern Ireland backstop, Johnson spent all his time negotiating the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol and Truss is prepared to trigger article 16 and start a trade war over it, when all they had to do was do nothing.

I am sorry but this is the level of understanding which has ultimately resulted in Truss as PM and 4 chancellors in 4 months :shootself

I've actually edited the post to take out the derogatory term and replace it with 'understanding' but don't believe any judge would have convicted given the provocation :lolol:
No need to be sensitive about being in a rush. I wasn't being critical about you rushing, just making a point with no hidden meaning.

I didn't say that they need do nothing about the Irish border. What they needed to do was work out a protocol whereby exports in either direction could be reported in the same way as they already were for VAT purposes, and use that as the basis for necessary checks in the same sort of way as the already did if someone was fiddling the cross-border VAT. The systems needed would already be partially in place.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
"Tough on Brexit. Tough on the consequences of Brexit" was a phrase I heard yesterday.

I think that's right. The country now needs tough policies to mitigate the Brexit damage.
In fairness, the zenophobic views of some (not all) Brexiteers (ie 'British jobs for British people'), is now being somewhat undone by the UK now looking at opening up avenues to get employees from Europe back to those jobs we don't want to do here, such as hospitality, farming, and care services. Hopefully we can fill some of these posts which are hugely important especially in healthcare. The care company we use to assist my disabled father pay £20 per hour now but still can't get UK staff wanting the work so hopefully we can find some from abroad to fill the gaps.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't tell if she's a pro-Brexiter who thinks the border controls have been mishandled, or an anti-Brexiter who think that if we didn't have controls the smuggling wouldn't happen.
You're fairly obviously struggling, so I'll try and help you out

You do understand that we haven't put any of the Brexit border controls in place for Britain that we were going to because JRM believes that doing so would constitute an 'act of self harm' even though the EU seem to have implemented all theirs ? We just keep putting them off for the last 2 years and beyond hence this sort of thing happening. Of 22 random vehicles checked illegal meat imports were found in 21 of them because we haven't implemented any of the controls which we were meant to in order to stop this from happening and 'Take Back Control' :facepalm:

The details were revealed by Natalie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, in a debate in Westminster Hall yesterday.
She said: “We need to remember that it is not 22 vehicles a day that enter the UK at Dover, but up to 10,000 vehicle movements across the Channel a day.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You do understand that we haven't put any of the Brexit border controls in place for Britain that we were going to because JRM believes that doing so would constitute an 'act of self harm' even though the EU seem to have implemented all theirs ? We just keep putting them off for the last 2 years and beyond hence this sort of thing happening. Of 22 random vehicles checked illegal meat imports were found in 21 of them because we haven't implemented any of the controls which we were meant to in order to stop this from happening and 'Take Back Control' :facepalm:

The details were revealed by Natalie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, in a debate in Westminster Hall yesterday.
She said: “We need to remember that it is not 22 vehicles a day that enter the UK at Dover, but up to 10,000 vehicle movements across the Channel a day.
drs-bumley is in denial.

The greater good is always the thing. Staying in the EU was always the greater good. The price to pay to convince people we should leave, to enact the leaving, and to survive the leaving, was NEVER worth the leaving. It was always a bad idea. History has proven this.

It needed charlatans (Farrage) nut jobs (ERG) and opportunists (Johnson) to Get Brexit Done. And it still isn't done.

And the cost, the degradation of UK politics, the charisma cult (Johnson) and the total lack of any plan, finally serving up Chaos under the Conservatives, has now f***ed us all in the arse.

The gobshites on NSC promoting all this cracktoss have now all f***ed off into oblivion, I now see, too. Good riddance. And look what you've done :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In fairness, the zenophobic views of some (not all) Brexiteers (ie 'British jobs for British people'), is now being somewhat undone by the UK now looking at opening up avenues to get employees from Europe back to those jobs we don't want to do here, such as hospitality, farming, and care services. Hopefully we can fill some of these posts which are hugely important especially in healthcare. The care company we use to assist my disabled father pay £20 per hour now but still can't get UK staff wanting the work so hopefully we can find some from abroad to fill the gaps.
Indeed. Which will mean throwing all the newly won Brexit 'freedoms' out of the window. Ironically PPF, if he has any grandchildren, will see them being taught by refugees on minimum wage owing to the teacher shortage, and treated by Pakistani and African GPs (locums) when they manage to get their name on the six-month waiting list. Strong and stable. More free. Sunny uplands. What a load of old lying xenophobic piss-taking bollocks.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

In a sense I am struggling. Because if border controls are necessary to keep dodgy meat out, then surely that's an argument in favour of leaving the EU not an argument against it. I thought the argument about staying in the EU was that we wouldn't need border controls?

I don't believe these were 22 random vehicles. The chances of randomly finding 21 vehicles out of 22 that were carrying meat, legal or otherwise, are too small to take seriously. For that matter, the chances of finding 21 randomly selected vehicles from Eastern Europe out of 22 arrivals are too small to consider. These were targeted checks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In a sense I am struggling. Because if border controls are necessary to keep dodgy meat out, then surely that's an argument in favour of leaving the EU not an argument against it. I thought the argument about staying in the EU was that we wouldn't need border controls?

I don't believe these were 22 random vehicles. The chances of randomly finding 21 vehicles out of 22 that were carrying meat, legal or otherwise, are too small to take seriously. For that matter, the chances of finding 21 randomly selected vehicles from Eastern Europe out of 22 arrivals are too small to consider. These were targeted checks.
thats a fair point. how much is bubbling around elsewhere in europe and who is the customer for such goods? story as stinky as the meat.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
thats a fair point. how much is bubbling around elsewhere in europe and who is the customer for such goods? story as stinky as the meat.
Its not a fair point. Its someone wanting it to be not so because it suits them. Those doing checks possibly undergo a little bit of training beforehand so are better equipped possibly to spot a dodgy one. Or possibly not, given who is in charge and funding it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
"Research released today (19 October 2022) by the ESRI shows reductions in UK to EU goods trade by 16% and trade from the EU to UK by 20% relative to the scenario in which Brexit had not occurred. The comparison scenario is that trade with the UK should have been expected to grow at a similar pace to that of the same products being traded with other EU partner countries around the world."

The problem with this is that it isn't logical. The say that the proportion of trade between UK and the EU has fallen, and the by definition the proportion of trade between the EU and the Rest of the World (RoW) has risen.

Then they assume that Brexit had not happened. They expect that if Brexit hadn't happened, both trade scenarios would have risen equally. Therefore the relative loss of trade to the EU must be because of Brexit.

They can't do this. They can't make an assumption that Brexit made more difference and then conclude that the difference was because of Brexit - they're going round in a circle.

Surely it's more likely that traders found that the price of trade with the EU has risen (we never stop hearing that it has!) which makes RoW more competetive and that's why the relative share of trade has changed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Research released today (19 October 2022) by the ESRI shows reductions in UK to EU goods trade by 16% and trade from the EU to UK by 20% relative to the scenario in which Brexit had not occurred. The comparison scenario is that trade with the UK should have been expected to grow at a similar pace to that of the same products being traded with other EU partner countries around the world."

The problem with this is that it isn't logical. The say that the proportion of trade between UK and the EU has fallen, and the by definition the proportion of trade between the EU and the Rest of the World (RoW) has risen.

Then they assume that Brexit had not happened. They expect that if Brexit hadn't happened, both trade scenarios would have risen equally. Therefore the relative loss of trade to the EU must be because of Brexit.

They can't do this. They can't make an assumption that Brexit made more difference and then conclude that the difference was because of Brexit - they're going round in a circle.

Surely it's more likely that traders found that the price of trade with the EU has risen (we never stop hearing that it has!) which makes RoW more competetive and that's why the relative share of trade has changed.
If you read it in full, you will note they echo your concerns about how you measure and compare, and illustrate how there is great difficulty in doing that.

You have to try and measure it somehow though don't you? Or would you prefer no one looks at or acknowledges the consequence and therefore we learn nothing going forwards?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If you read it in full, you will note they echo your concerns about how you measure and compare, and illustrate how there is great difficulty in doing that.

You have to try and measure it somehow though don't you? Or would you prefer no one looks at or acknowledges the consequence and therefore we learn nothing going forwards?
Thanks. I suppose a summary is always likely to miss out essential details.

With the variables of covid and the war on top of Brexit, it's no easy task plucking out figures for what might have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here