[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
List of places where Brexit has not had an adverse effect on border control, thus proving that Brexit is not the cause of the chaos at Dover:

Faro airport, Portugal.
Malta, also an airport.
St. Martin, West Indies.
Monaco.
Newhaven-Dieppe ferry.

Brexiteers, please add other locations where you got through border control quickly.

Extra kudos if one of them is Dover.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Free trade within in the EU meant that there was no obstacle to importing or anything between Ireland and the UK. Now, there is an obstacle.

Yes, the hard Brexit exit we negotiated. We could have retained free trade with a continued adherence to the EU rules, standards and regulations. You are right it could have been done. It wasn't because that is not what this government wanted to negotiate. They wanted a hard Brexit, they didn't want to sign up to conformity to those standards and rules. The obstacles to trade before us are what our government negotiated. Labour campaigned in 2019 on a Brexit that wanted to deliver what you are saying, but the Brexiteers said that wasn't Brexit. You seem to be frustrated with an obstacle created by the votes you cast.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
As I said, it was just Friday when French workers were delayed coming out of the Tunnel to get to Dover.

The booths were fully manned on Sat and Sun and still queues.

It's almost as if manpower isn't the root cause of the problem. I wonder what could be...:shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was proposing that, on one side, the EU gets free access to the UK market, and on the other side, the UK gets free access to the EU market. It isn't all benefit one way. It's mutual benefit.

I give up. Sorry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Much of the conversation so far has been related to passport checks but what about bio-security going forward

The UK seem very keen to deregulate food standards and sign trade deal with countries that has dubious practices and standards

They do not want to risk their agri-food sector. The days of loading up at Tescos before a French camping trip will soon be over

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Much of the conversation so far has been related to passport checks but what about bio-security going forward

The UK seem very keen to deregulate food standards and sign trade deal with countries that has dubious practices and standards

They do not want to risk their agri-food sector. The days of loading up at Tescos before a French camping trip will soon be over

Just have to pop to Le Tesco when you arrive in France. Approximately seven years after arriving at Dover.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Free trade within in the EU meant that there was no obstacle to importing or anything between Ireland and the UK. Now, there is an obstacle.

Yes because Ireland is in the EU and Single Market and the UK is not. I believe someone may have pointed this out during the campaign and negotiations, not entirely sure anyone was paying attention though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just have to pop to Le Tesco when you arrive in France. Approximately seven years after arriving at Dover.

Scenes outside Dover in 7 years...

cargraveyard010101001010101.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes, the hard Brexit exit we negotiated. We could have retained free trade with a continued adherence to the EU rules, standards and regulations. You are right it could have been done. It wasn't because that is not what this government wanted to negotiate. They wanted a hard Brexit, they didn't want to sign up to conformity to those standards and rules. The obstacles to trade before us are what our government negotiated. Labour campaigned in 2019 on a Brexit that wanted to deliver what you are saying, but the Brexiteers said that wasn't Brexit. You seem to be frustrated with an obstacle created by the votes you cast.

Third country is third country. Not sure whether its a lack of understanding or UK (generally English) exceptionalism

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
St Maarten is part of the Netherlands, which last time I looked out of my window was still part of the EU
St Maarten is one of the four countries that make up the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and it's not in the EU. The Netherlands is another of the four countries that make up the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and it is in the EU.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Whats wrong with going on holiday to skeggness or minehead instead of france anyway

Regards

DF

Will that make Brexit a success? Going to a campsite in Skeg instead of Camping du Lac in Bordeaux?

Perhaps you're right. To have a good holiday, we Brits should really suffer. It makes you appreciate the comforts of home when it's all over.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
St Maarten is one of the four countries that make up the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and it's not in the EU. The Netherlands is another of the four countries that make up the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and it is in the EU.

Whilst that may be technically correct, both sides of the border are controlled by EU Member States. Travel across land borders between the Republic of France, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and other neighbouring states like Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg was always hassle free and involved open borders many years before anyone conceived of Schengen.

So, putting pedantry aside, my point stands,. Why would you expect there to be any kerfuffle crossing that border, and how is it comparable to Dover in 2022?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
List of places where Brexit has not had an adverse effect on border control, thus proving that Brexit is not the cause of the chaos at Dover:

Faro airport, Portugal.
Malta, also an airport.
St. Martin, West Indies.
Monaco.
Newhaven-Dieppe ferry.

Brexiteers, please add other locations where you got through border control quickly.

Extra kudos if one of them is Dover.

I'm not a Brexiteer, but can claim a 100% hassle free trip from Dover to Calais on 12th Jan this year (I was dropping off stuff for Care4Calais)....there were possibly only about a dozen other cars on the ferry (loads of lorries though). My recommendation for Brexiteers is that, in future, they take their holidays in mid-January - no nasty French immigration hold-ups, plus you get to sit pretty much anywhere you like on the ferry.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
What was the food like?

I had two slices of toast with marmite for breakfast. This is also completely irrelevant to the chaos at Dover.

You ignored the subject of the thread, made precisely no attempt whatsoever to answer my question, and seem to think that any Brexit effect would be uniform across the whole EU, and because things are working at Faro airport, then that means the chaos at Dover can't be Brexit, and it must be the French being slow, awkward or whatever. Non sequitur.

Brexiteers, seriously, you need to lose the insane level of whataboutery. Accounts of your experiences of your latest odyssey to some place other than Dover are just not relevant.

If I can get into the EU without the bureaucracy implemented by the French, then its France I would avoid.

https://www.madeira-web.com/en/news/fast-track-entry-uk-tourists-to-portugal.html

According to travel adviser Paul Charles, CEO of the PC Agency, "Portugal is obviously leading the way in recognising that they have to process vast numbers of British visitors as seamlessly as possible, otherwise there would be long queues this summer."

People have a choice, just like the EU countries do. Welcome UK tourists like Portugal or piss them off like France. The irony of course is that the queues of people getting through Dover to head down to their villas in the languadoc or la plage will be petit bourgeois remainers in the first place.

Double bubble…..

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The obstacle is for checks between GB and NI (as NI is still in the Customs Union). The checks are required solely because the UK has decided to diverge from EU regs. If we had done a deal with the EU whereby we guaranteed to maintain EU standards, then there would be no need for checks. It is 100% our decision that has resulted in the checks. And these checks are simply so that the EU can ensure that it maintains quality standards. We would do precisely the same if the situation were reversed - in fact the Daily Mail and its ilk would be absolutely insisting that we needed to control our borders. Now that we are suffering because other countries are controlling their borders, they don't seem to like the concept so much!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If I can get into the EU without the bureaucracy implemented by the French, then its France I would avoid.

https://www.madeira-web.com/en/news/fast-track-entry-uk-tourists-to-portugal.html

According to travel adviser Paul Charles, CEO of the PC Agency, "Portugal is obviously leading the way in recognising that they have to process vast numbers of British visitors as seamlessly as possible, otherwise there would be long queues this summer."

People have a choice, just like the EU countries do. Welcome UK tourists like Portugal or piss them off like France. The irony of course is that the queues of people getting through Dover to head down to their villas in the languadoc or la plage will be petit bourgeois remainers in the first place.

Double bubble…..

Probably a bit easier to process folks arriving off a plane than folks arriving in a car tho eh? The airline will have done a lot of the donkey work pre-departure, under pain of being punished financially

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
€7 for three years visa. Which isn’t bad, but I’ve also seen suggestions of having to be finger printed?

Those of us who have travelled to the US over the last decade or so have had this. The visa is like the US ESTA. Pretty straight forward, and the EU one is going to be a bit cheaper. Not sure when finger printing came in, but probably around ten years or so ago - I'm sure someone will know when this came in commonly at US airports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports